SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm assuming that the Mazda Tribute's autolock or alarm has an audible horn chirp to confirm that the system is either enabled or disabled because as I approached my car today I was surprised to hear a Mazda chirp once when I depressed the unlock button on my R's key fob.

At first, I assumed it was someone else locking their car, although I was still somewhat surprised to hear a car chirp precisely when I hit my unlock button. So, out of sheer curiosity, I hit the button again and it chirped three times rapidly. There weren't any visual confirmations (on either car), so I hit the button again twice and it chirped frenetically for a few seconds. I then stood next to the R and hit the button once to confirm that it was, in fact, the Mazda Tribute next to which I was parked. At this point people in the parking lot who had decided to spend some of their lunch hour taking advantage of the beautiful weather were rather bemused by the chirping Mazda. I, myself, was rather amused.

I'm guess this is a Ford thing? lol Oh, if only the owner was around.

-Eric

·
Registered
972 Posts
Re: R Key Fob sent a Mazda Tribute's horn into frenetics.... (Sue Esponte)

This has happened to me as well. I pushed my lock button and noticed a chirp coming from a Ford Expedition parked 3 cars away. I thought it was a coincidence but was curious so I pushed unlock and lock again and the Expedition chirped again a couple of more times.. for some reason they were on the same frequency.

·
Super Moderator
14,838 Posts
obviously each vehicle has its own "code" within its preset frequency, but does this situation concern anyone else?

i can only see where something like this leads...

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (NRM8573)

Quote, originally posted by NRM8573 »
Did it unlock the car??

I was very curious but didn't want to approach the car too closely to check since it had attracted so much attention. I'm not comfortable with pulling the door handles to check either since I'd lose it if I saw a stranger attempting to open the door to my car.

-Eric

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Re: (Sue Esponte)

This does happen. I read an article on how people are stealing the new MB with the keyless systems. David Beckham has had TWO stolen. http://news.com.com/Gone+in+60....html

I am not entirely certain how all this works but I do understand that almost all of our keyless entries are on a 40 bit encryption, which is less than the minimal 64 bit encryption that most wireless routers use. Needless to say we are rather unprotected to hackers that know what they are doing.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (Rangeball)

This happened to me when I bought my Pathfinder. I was sitting in the dealership waiting for the inept salesperson to return with some paperwork. The car was parked in the lot right out side of the large plate glass window. I picked up the keys and, out of boredom, hit the lock button. The indicator lights on my car flashed and I noticed that another car across the lot did as well. Strange, I thought, let me do it again. Same result. My fob was unlocking two cars at the same dealership.

When the salesman came back, I asked him since my fob unlocked two cars, did I get both of them for the same price?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts

2 to the 40th power is 1,099,511,627,776 possible codes. That's over 1 Trillion possible codes. Perhaps for a computer, this is relatively easy to crack, but for a casual passer-by with a KeyFob remote, this should NOT HAPPEN.

Either the implementation of the codes are messed-up, or the doors on that other car did not open (but the car did make the sound some other way).

Can anyone confirm if our fobs CAN open others' doors? This violates the whole idea of auto safety w/Volvo, doesn't it, if true?

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Re: R Key Fob sent a Mazda Tribute's horn into frenetics.... (Sue Esponte)

Happened once to me and my Passat. However the other car (forgot what it was) only unlocked and did not lock again after I pressed the keyfob. I don't think it was a VW or an Audi so it was odd that I was able to open another brand.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Re: (Short Circuit)

Quote, originally posted by Short Circuit »
2 to the 40th power is 1,099,511,627,776 possible codes. That's over 1 Trillion possible codes. Perhaps for a computer, this is relatively easy to crack, but for a casual passer-by with a KeyFob remote, this should NOT HAPPEN.

Either the implementation of the codes are messed-up, or the doors on that other car did not open (but the car did make the sound some other way).

Can anyone confirm if our fobs CAN open others' doors? This violates the whole idea of auto safety w/Volvo, doesn't it, if true?

I agree completely, it should not happen. From my understanding of the article I posted about the new MB's the keyless entry use a 40 bit rolling code. Once a collection of successfull strings are captured a hacker can piece together the algorithm and replicate the code.

How our key's work is beyond me. I don't know if we use a set code or if it is apart of the rolling code as I tried to explain above. I say tried because I still don't understand it.

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: R Key Fob sent a Mazda Tribute's horn into frenetics.... (steamboatsig)

I have no idea whether I locked or unlocked the Mazda but I did hit the lock button on my key fob just in case.

-Eric

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts
Re: (Short Circuit)

Quote, originally posted by Short Circuit »
2 to the 40th power is 1,099,511,627,776 possible codes.

40-bit encryption is a totally different thing from 40 bits of codes. You can take 1000 codes (for instance) and encrypt them with a 40-bit key, and they're still only 1000 codes. If the remotes share a common key, differing only in code, then there will be collisions. But it makes sense, because the VIN isn't programmed into the key, its the key that's programmed into the car.

Not good, of course. Downright troubling.

Tom.

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (tmtalpey)

Okay, so today I am parked two cars from the same Mazda Tribute. I locked and unlocked my car several times to see what it would do...and nothing, nada, zip, zilch happened.

Any thoughts?

-Eric

·
Super Moderator
14,838 Posts
Re: (Sue Esponte)

sounds as if we are using a similar "rolling code" type of system.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Re: (phuz)

One time I unlocked my car and my neighbors garage door rolled up.

Tim

·
Registered
14,374 Posts
Re: (t6tim)

Quote, originally posted by t6tim »
One time I unlocked my car and my neighbors garage door rolled up.

Tim

Reminds me of that ad with the guy turning the light switch on and off in his house and the neighbor's garage door crashing repeatedly onto her car!

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts
Re: (phuz)

Quote, originally posted by phuz »
sounds as if we are using a similar "rolling code" type of system.
I doubt it. If there were rolling codes, we'd be hearing constantly about keys needed to be reset when batteries died etc. I think the codes are fixed. Can't explain why the Mazda behaved differently though.

Tom.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Re: (tmtalpey)

Quote, originally posted by tmtalpey »

I doubt it. If there were rolling codes, we'd be hearing constantly about keys needed to be reset when batteries died etc. I think the codes are fixed. Can't explain why the Mazda behaved differently though.

Tom.

Not 100% sure on this, but I think the battery is charged on the key while it is in the ignition. I know this is how it works on BMW's and I am pretty sure it works the same on our Volvo's.

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts

Sorry, no. It's a standard coincell battery for one, and there isn't any power contact. The S40/V50 actually transmits a signal that causes the instrument to tell you the battery is low! People have seen it and thought it was talking about the car's battery.

Tom.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts