SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like I said, I have a iPd r kelly coming in and got a good deal on a evolve AMS as well. So R kelly and AMS, which is better in performance? And wound running both (almost) doubling the performance or the open airbox will make the R kelly CAI no use at all?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Lots of people have issues with the AMS throwing codes and stuff, I would stay away.

R Kelly mod is a solid little upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
Lots of people have issues with the AMS throwing codes and stuff, I would stay away.

R Kelly mod is a solid little upgrade.
This.

·
Premium Member
3,743 Posts
I thought the AMS uses a dry filter. You could try Snabb's if you really want an open airbox/filter setup.

I had problems with it until I reset my ECU with the old battery terminal method. Hasn't come back. And the 04-05s are the ones that mainly had problems with the Elevate/IPD AMS units. It also made a noticeable improvement on the way the car runs.

http://www.snabb.us/SVR-High-flow-intake-kit-with-4-MAF-body_p_202.html

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
The stock R airbox is pretty good. It's not worth the effort.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
AMS uses an oiled filter. If your car is one of those few that can't run the AMS, then dry vs wet won't even matter. I think general consensus is those cars have a problem with the turbidity of the air created by the 90 degree bend in the AMS. It doesn't make sense why some have problems and some don't but there has been enough data to conclude this is the case.

When people get codes because of the oiled filter it's usually because the MAF is dirty or dead. That can happen on any car running the AMS. Hope the difference between the situations makes sense.

My opinion, stock airbox with R kelly intake will flow more air than you will ever need. Someone even compared the flow rates of stock (without R kelly) vs the AMS and they were so close it was negligible. However, if I were you and you got the AMS cheap, I would try and run it. It sounds so much more pleasant than the closed stock airbox and for me makes for a more enjoyable experience.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Personally, I'm going to buy the SNABB unit once I get some time to order mine in uncounted with no filter.

Then I'm going to apply a thermal coating with ceramic and my own special mix of vacuum insulating glass beads, and I am going to modify the SNABB box a bit so I can mount some other stuff to it like a alcohol water injection pump or other aftermarket bits.

Probably not worth the cost of paying someone to thermal coat the box, but where I can do all the work my self I'm only put labor and I already have the stuff sitting around.

Then once I get it done I'm going to run my own AMSoil cone style dry performance filter, and I'm just going to buy a couple of them and throw them out when they get dirty. No more K&N oiled filters for me.

I wish someone just made a custom fit non oiled filter for the stock air box, but I have yet to see an aftermarket performance filter for the stock box that is not oiled. It will be nice to have the filter "open" but still blocked from getting warm engine bay air.

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
Personally, I'm going to buy the SNABB unit once I get some time to order mine in uncounted with no filter.

Then I'm going to apply a thermal coating with ceramic and my own special mix of vacuum insulating glass beads, and I am going to modify the SNABB box a bit so I can mount some other stuff to it like a alcohol water injection pump or other aftermarket bits.

Probably not worth the cost of paying someone to thermal coat the box, but where I can do all the work my self I'm only put labor and I already have the stuff sitting around.

Then once I get it done I'm going to run my own AMSoil cone style dry performance filter, and I'm just going to buy a couple of them and throw them out when they get dirty. No more K&N oiled filters for me.

I wish someone just made a custom fit non oiled filter for the stock air box, but I have yet to see an aftermarket performance filter for the stock box that is not oiled. It will be nice to have the filter "open" but still blocked from getting warm engine bay air.
Would there (besides aesthetics) be a reason not to just make up a new fitting for the OEM filter in the new box? I think the filter has been shown to be plenty capable of passing enough air through it, but also doing a good job of keeping dirt/particles from getting into the intake. My worry with a "performance" filter is that typically they, K&N included, just do less filtering but the caR doesn't benefit because it already had adequate flow through the OEM filter. If it was really about more flow, you could just go bigger... http://www.amazon.com/Wix-46637-Air-Filter-Pack/dp/B000CSD3QS That provides enough air for a 7.3L diesel, should work for our 2.5L. LOL

I ask because I'm honestly curious.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Would there (besides aesthetics) be a reason not to just make up a new fitting for the OEM filter in the new box? I think the filter has been shown to be plenty capable of passing enough air through it, but also doing a good job of keeping dirt/particles from getting into the intake. My worry with a "performance" filter is that typically they, K&N included, just do less filtering but the caR doesn't benefit because it already had adequate flow through the OEM filter. If it was really about more flow, you could just go bigger... http://www.amazon.com/Wix-46637-Air-Filter-Pack/dp/B000CSD3QS That provides enough air for a 7.3L diesel, should work for our 2.5L. LOL

I ask because I'm honestly curious.
This is the filters I was looking at http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...ir/amsoil-ea-universal-air-induction-filters/

All sorts of sizes to replace most of the ***** style intakes, the basic one with a 3" opening is about $39.80 if you have the AMSoil member ship, cheap enough I can just toss them in the garbage when dirty.

I have been wanting to try the AMSoil EA filters for a while.

I doubt they flow any more than one of the good quality OEM style paper filters, but I wanted to try them.

Also hoping to pick up more turbo sound, that is one thing I miss with the K&N filters.

Also with the SNABB air box, you do the SNABB metal inlet pipe as well and I can thermal coat that metal pipe as well.

It's an car OCD thing, I can't look at the engine bay and not think of things like that. :D

And I have a credit for SNABB as well.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Like R Kelly - probably only good at higher speeds for a ram air effect, especially at cooler temps (faster 0-200 km/h times). Does tend to vacuum debris from closer to the road surface however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts