SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 294 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I have myself a set of broken R headlights, so in the process of repairing them, I decided to attempt a retrofit.

So here is my plan and a couple goals:

1. Keep the look and design of the original R headlights with clear corners (remove of the amber lense) with the silver shroud.

2. Retrofit true Bi-Xenon Projectors into the low beam reflector area. Projectors will use the stock Volvo/Valeo ballast system and D2S bulbs. Install cooler projector shrouds and CCFL lighting into the shroud.

3 Figure out how to wire the bi-xenon projector high-beam to the motor system and disable the stock motor system from activating for the highbeams. The leveling system I will keep intact.

4. Remove fluted lens of DRL and install LED bulb alongside the CCFL lighting for DRL purposes.

So what I bought were a set of Morimoto Mini Bi-Xenon Projectors from RetroFitSource source. The reason why I chose this setup was the length, it had the shortest length and also had self tapping installation rings that works quite well for the P2 R Lights. I apologize for the crappy photos from my Iphone.

The way it mounts is through the tapping rings, and once I had the lights disassembled, there is a black plastic bracket (that the motor controls to adjust) simply tap in the projector without the reflector there. You will need to adjust the motor/leveler/gear to the center to be perfectly level.

Here's a couple pics of the shroud, called MiniGun or Gattling Gun shroud that I bought with the set. I intend to install 10mm CCFL behind the shroud to get a unique glow effect. More on that later once I get the CCFL lights in...

Here is the projector installed into the light housing, and it's more of a temporary test fit and a work in progress. I will need to disassemble this again to test the wiring as well as re-wire the high beams cutoff for the retrofitted projectors and the CCFL. I also want to reuse the stock reflector to "hide" the rear aluminum bracket, so I'll likely need to cut that up along with the projector shroud bezel (there is some clearance issues).

Obviously I will need to paint the shroud as it's been primed with brown primer (yes thats all I have sorry lol).

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Interesting. Good luck man. Nice Sh!ts and Giggles project.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Subscribed.

:beers: x 2 for you Sir.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Nice job man, a very different approach that myself. FYI, I'll be continuing my retrofit soon, as I bought another P2 ;)

The high-beam wiring will be easy: just tap the existing high-beam wire. Done.

The elimination of a dash warning will be trickier. What I would suggest trying first is taking JUST the motor/controller from the "high beam." You can try to wire it as normal, but without the "position" sensor. I had a headlamp that no longer had a working "high beam" and it didn't throw an error message. Otherwise, I was going to make a homemade bracket to keep the whole assembly "working" in a fraction of the space it takes up.

Shoot me an email at [email protected] if you want to throw some ideas back and forth ;)

Just some shots...

Fluted lens with an LED flashlight behind it:

The motor assembly with microcontroller:

Position switch:

Single projector:

Dual projectors:

How *I* am approaching the task:

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, newest progress pictures. CCFL halo rings are in, and I don't intend to mount them to the front, but more as an accent, ie; LED sort of look.

Here is with 2 rings installed, 1 in the DRL reflector and one the the projector shroud.

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is with one under the bezel only, which was my original plan...

Close up of the projector shroud.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Awesome! I love lighting threads! That setup is looking like a unique alternative to the craptacular R lighting. lol

·
Registered
717 Posts
Nice work!

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
The last pics makes me think of Iron Man's cool heart thingy! :D Awesome work, keep it up!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
This is a very cool project! From a guy that's had his headlight apart completely and done some tinkering let me just say you got some BIG balls my friend and I think that's gonna look sweet!!!

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
i'm in love.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Looking good.

Once installed do you mind driving to CA for an in person demo :cool:

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
The last pics makes me think of Iron Man's cool heart thingy! :D Awesome work, keep it up!
That is quite nice. aka 'Stark' headlights.
Paint the shrouds gold and put em on a red R, and your IronMan look will be complete.

1 - 20 of 294 Posts