SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought and had delivered a watch face dial cluster from an '06 XC60 I believe it was. It's basically the same cluster as an S60 T5 to my understanding, and near identical to an R cluster, just with black faces instead of blue. I found this excellent write up with photos from the XC90 forum here on S/S on retro fitting R and watch face gauges to a standard cluster like mine is. My question is that, is what's described in the thread really the only way to do this swap, or are there alternate, possibly easier ways, things that this write up does that may not have to be done? I'm thinking if I want it to fully work as it does from the vehicle that it came from, that the thread is how it should be done. Any insight from anyone that's done this themselves? I have an '04 2.5T, so mine is the LED lit cluster from the factory... Will the info screen on the lower left corner still illuminate greenish, and if so is there any way to alter that to a white lit color? I'm not shy about micro soldering new LEDs in for that if need be. :thumbup: Thanks!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I did this for my '01. You don't need to swap the main board. Actually I couldn't; the '01 DIM is very different internally. Just dremel a few-millimeter notch in the white plastic part of the old casing where you need to to get the LED-containing portion of the new casing to sit flush. Bad description, but look at the pics in that thread of the donor and donee white casings and you'll see where the notch has to be made. The cut won't be visible once the cluster is installed. You still have to figure out the overhead LEDs, probably using an add-a-fuse.

But also... There's a Volvo electronics wizard in the San Jose area, "yagger" on MVS, who can do all kinds of things the dealer can't. When I added a contactless ETM to my '01 and it had the wrong firmware, he was able to remotely control my laptop and use my China DiCE to copy the old ETM's firmware to the new one. While we were on the phone for that I asked him about flashing a used DIM to a different car, but he said it was only possible for '02 and up. So you could be truly "correct" and use the entire DIM from the donor, but you'd need an '04 cluster to have the right plug. It just so happens that I picked up an '04 S80 executive cluster on a recent LKQ run, so if you decide to go with this DIM-reprogramming option, we could meet up and trade clusters, since I can only use the faces/needles anyway, and you'd need one with the '01-'04 green plug. I can also loan you my DiCE if you don't have one.

That said, since you have the LED diffusers/backlighting already, the face/needle swap and add-a-fuse route would be easier, cheaper, and almost as clean, unlike in my '01, which has bright spots in the gauge markings that only microsoldering LEDs would fix.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for that insightful reply, darkonaut. I'll have to how if any similar the back of my current DIM is in comparison. I have no problem swapping the board from my current cluster into the new one, whatever that entails. I do have my own DiCE unit and VIDA, so if I needed that route, I'm fully equipped for that. It's interesting all the different ways that this swap can be done, including just using the entire cluster if it'll plug right in, and re-programming. Thanks again for your info and I'll keep everyone updated on what I find and if I get this all done solely by swapping out pieces.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yea, you could almost certainly swap the board easily. I was just limited by the extreme physical differences between the 01 case/board and those in the 04 R cluster I pulled the gauge faces from. Do let us know what you find!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts