SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im new to this forum and just picked up my first Volvo. A 2001 S60 T5 5speed. As typical me (and im sure with alot others lol) I have been doing a lot of research into upgrades. Along with many other things I want to put an R style exhaust manifold on but i have a couple questions as i dont know everything about cars. Can I change the manifold just by going under the hood? would I need to adjust my downpipe and if so should I just buy the OBX DP and modify it all at once?

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

In order to remove the exhaust manifold you must first remove a few other parts to gain access to the area. You'll want to remove the strut bar, charge pipe, top engine mount, etc... to get access to the turbocharger area. Then you can go ahead and remove the turbo and exhaust manifiold. No special tools needed, just some time and patience. And you will be disconnecting the downpipe in the process so it would be a good time to include the OBX DP. Make sure to use new gaskets and studs for the manifold.

Hope that helps,
NJGB

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Atc, you have a nice car to mode, the s60 t5 5 speed engine can support 400 hps with the proper mods. The R manifold will make help you cause is not that restrictive like the stock one. But you must consider also different things too. Tune, dp, catback, etc. The r manifold is bolt on and the 16t has the same bolt patter so you will not need anything, just a new oil line gasket for the turbo and manifold.

Call Adam at Erie Vovo they carry amazing prices and i think they have a r manifold in stock.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all! This is the exact information I needed and you guys responded quickly! Yeah I do plan on doing a DP, cat-back, possibly the intake pipe to the turbo, and a tune. Im very excited about this car and so far have really enjoyed it. Thanks again and have a good one.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
thats a lot of work for minimal gains.

the manifold that came on early p2 cars wasn't as restrictive as the one that comes on the older 850/s70s.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
I'd differ on that, if he's going to follow through with a full exhaust downpipe and catback like he said), intake and tune than the R manifold is a great addition and the only piece limiting flow in that chain. Even with the stock 16T he'll be making a lot more power than stock T5. A few hours isn't that bad and every little bit helps. I waited till I was doing a turbo swap rather than just doing the manifold swap but if he's already pulling the downpipe it's not that much harder to go ahead and pull the turbo and manifold.

But, I would suggest looking into upgrading the stock turbo to a 18T at the same time, now that would really make a difference and combined with R manifold, full exhaust, intake and proper tune you would be close to perfection!

ATControl, pm me if you are interested in upgrading your turbo!

Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the opinions, yeah I would love to upgrade my turbo at some point. But before then I need to save up some money lol. Needs come before wants and I will have to wait. But, NJGreenBudd I have seen you post a lot on here and am glad I have the offer to PM you with questions and such in the future!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts