SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turbo blew last night on my way home went through the engine and out of the exhaust then right after the down pipe got so hot that the heat shield caught fire luckily I put it out with water so no damage there but the engine is toast! The oil pump is hanging out of the oil pan...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Don't give up brother... upgrade from here. Don't bother with putting another B5254T4 R motor in there... go with a 2.4l B5244T5. The B5244T5 has the same turbo, same head, etc but smaller cylinder bore. You can drop it right in and can run it on stock R tune. It's what i plan to do with my car.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't give up brother... upgrade from here. Don't bother with putting another B5254T4 R motor in there... go with a 2.4l B5244T5. The B5244T5 has the same turbo, same head, etc but smaller cylinder bore. You can drop it right in and can run it on stock R tune. It's what i plan to do with my car.
Thank you !!! This is just a start

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ho lee sheeeeeyat. Glad you’re ok and the rest of the car was saved

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do your research but i believe the B5244T5 motor is found in the 2005-2009 S60 T5's... just find a junkyard one and get the engine is what i'd say.
Am picking up an 03 Honda right now to get around I have to get it towed back to my hometown and the old motor out. I located an R motor with 76k on it a few months back in Oklahoma I want to say and I’m in North Carolina but I think it was sold.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
That doesn't seem like the turbo itself. Did the tcv stick and allow supreme overboost?

I've had turbos grenade before (240s, not a R) and they can do damage, but not through the extra 5 ft of pipe to get into the intake.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
That is not the oil pump. It is the oil level sensor.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That doesn't seem like the turbo itself. Did the tcv stick and allow supreme overboost?

I've had turbos grenade before (240s, not a R) and they can do damage, but not through the extra 5 ft of pipe to get into the intake.

Maybe it was a valve I also have a 3 inch open exhaust and it shot some metal out of the pipe

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

The boost gauge actually read 0 right before detonation. It may not be turbo related but valves rated maybe ?

·
Registered
266 Posts

No to mention the intercooler - which should act as a filter for most of the coarse chunks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Maybe it was a valve I also have a 3 inch open exhaust and it shot some metal out of the pipe

Exhaust side of the turbo getting hit by a valve or debris from inside could definitely come out. But that would be secondary damage, not root cause.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Turbo grenading is not going to make it through the intercooler aside from very fine debris

1 - 20 of 22 Posts