SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't decide between the 20" and 22" wheels on the R Design. I think the 20s are a bit clunky looking and not a big fan but the tires are much cheaper.

I noticed that if you goto a 285-35-22 (or 285-30-22) the tires on the 22" when go down from $600 each to $250.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether you think another .2-.3" of width will fit on the wheel and suspension?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
321 Posts
Not sure about sizes, but the look of the 22's are not as clean to me as the 20's.... just in the way that the spokes don't come into the center of the cap directly, instead they're offset a bit on the 22's.

I'm planning to keep my R Design 20s for a while then upgrade to some custom 22's when it's time for new tires.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm a bit hesitant about those 22" wheels. They certainly look sharp but I don't want to be on constant alert to avoid each an every pothole. My heart says 22 but my brain says 20. I'm going to listen to my brain - I guess...:D

21" on the R would be just right but for some odd reason, that's not a choice..:confused:

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have the 22s and have seen the 20s in person. In my opinion, the 22s are absolutely beautiful and it only costs a $1,000 more. It's amazing how many compliments I am getting just for the wheels. The 20s are just too small for this car. That is why the vast majority of Inscription owners opt for the 21s.

Dont worry about the cost of the tires. Just go for the 285/35R22 which will fit and costs starting at $130 or so.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I can't decide between the 20" and 22" wheels on the R Design. I think the 20s are a bit clunky looking and not a big fan but the tires are much cheaper.
Take a look at the 20" wheels...they are not as clunky...there are quite a few pictures of R-designs posted with 20" wheels; even though the 22" wheels look awesome, the 20" wheels look really good.

Another thing to keep in mind (other than the extra replacement cost of the 22" tires vs. 20") is the fact that the 22" tires are summer tires. Not sure where you live but if you are not in the South or Southwestern part of the country, you will need to invest in an additional set of winter/all-season tires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Take a look at the 20" wheels...they are not as clunky...there are quite a few pictures of R-designs posted with 20" wheels; even though the 22" wheels look awesome, the 20" wheels look really good.

Another thing to keep in mind (other than the extra replacement cost of the 22" tires vs. 20") is the fact that the 22" tires are summer tires. Not sure where you live but if you are not in the South or Southwestern part of the country, you will need to invest in an additional set of winter/all-season tires.
Any other aftermarket wheels you guys think will look good on the xc90....I know it might be too early. A nice set of Vossen's perhaps?

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
A couple picts of my neighbor's 2016 R-Design with the 20s. These make for nice winter wheels and then 22s for the spring through fall. It would be ideal to be able to buy the 22s for the $1000 option price (or 20s for that matter) as a second set of wheels at delivery. :)

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,796 Posts
Any other aftermarket wheels you guys think will look good on the xc90....I know it might be too early. A nice set of Vossen's perhaps?
I went with Savini BM7 on our XC60 R-Design. You might take a look at what they offer. The BM8 might look really attractive on an R-Design! Beautiful finish. Not too expensive. Many are available in 22x9. Also available in 22x10.5; but that might be too wide.If you are worried about these wheels carrying the load, look through the VEHICLES gallery. You will find at least 15 SUVs and pickups at least as heavy as the XC90.

The iconfigurator on the site allows to see the wheel on a vehicle. Unfortunately, BM14 does not appear available for the XC90. It's a new limited edition wheel. It does show it's available in 5x108. Would probably need to contact them to find out if you can get for the XC90.http://ver1.iconfigurators.com/creat...tire=0&size=22

·
Registered
61 Posts
My two cents: 20s are clunky and 22s belong on a rapper's car. 21s are the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
3,391 Posts
I think the 20's look way too small for the car, personally. I saw one with the 22's in my neighborhood the other day, and it was gorgeous!

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
I went with Savini BM7 on our XC60 R-Design. You might take a look at what they offer. The BM8 might look really attractive on an R-Design! Beautiful finish. Not too expensive. Many are available in 22x9. Also available in 22x10.5; but that might be too wide.http://saviniwheels.com/black-di-forza-bm/

What is the center bore for the 2016 XC90?

The BM7, Titanium looks sharp. Do the Volvo center caps fit?

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,796 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Steelies

I am running my R Design 20's with Blizzaks and so far so good. They don't look small at all, and I would absolutely detest running 22's in the winter in New England. I was planning to run the R Design 22's as summers, but like the 20's so much that I may consider flipping out the Blizzaks and mounting them on Steel Wheels. Does anyone know of a Volvo OEM black steel wheel option?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Just in case anyone is concerned with the cost of the 275/35R22 tires, it is now $419 at Tire Rack.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Price of the tires have come down further. It is now $387.14.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts

Im running with 21" with nokian winter tyres. Works fine with air suspension
Looks great! Which wheels are those? Do you have more pics? I need to buy extra wheels for the winter and having a hard time finding something that will fit and look good.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Is it ok to use that size instead? I have the 275/35r22 summer tires on my R-Design. Seems impossible to find all season or winter tires in that size... :(
Yes no problem using that size since diameter is still the same. I have not found a winter tire in 22" wheel size yet so looks like might have to go with 20" set for winter. Unless I find something in 21" size...

1 - 20 of 65 Posts