SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Not sure if there are many or any R-Designs out there at this time(I can't find any in the dealers near me) but if so I was wondering if there are any folks that compared the R-Design seats with the Inscription seats? "Comfort" vs "Sport" padding. Does the Nubuck leather add comfort or cooling vs nappa leather or does it just stick the butt to the seat better? I haven't tested the ventilation seats - is it really worth it? I think from the pictures I prefer the look of the R-Design but the Inscription seats are really nice.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
From pictures and configuration website, the R-Design Nubuck seats do not have ventilation. Could be a turn-off for many people and it seems to me not necessary for Volvo to restrict the seat choices for R-Design. Not sure if they will allow more choices next model year.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
From pictures and configuration website, the R-Design Nubuck seats do not have ventilation. Could be a turn-off for many people and it seems to me not necessary for Volvo to restrict the seat choices for R-Design. Not sure if they will allow more choices next model year.
That's what I'm hoping that for 2017 they will allow more choices for R-Design! I really feel such a car should have ventilated seats standard regardless of leather choice!!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have an R-Design on order and was told by my dealer that ventilated seats were not available. Not too big a deal for me, since they are merely vented and not actually cooled. The harder part to swallow was that the R-Design seats do not have the extendable thigh bolster for support. Really liked this on the Inscription I tested.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
The harder part to swallow was that the R-Design seats do not have the extendable thigh bolster for support. Really liked this on the Inscription I tested.
It does come with Power Cushion Extension (front seats), reading it in the brochure I got from dealer for R-Design.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It does come with Power Cushion Extension (front seats), reading it in the brochure I got from dealer for R-Design.
Interesting, I'll have to re-check this. I wonder if it could be a USA/ROW difference.

Was this a specific R-Design brochure or just the R-Design specs in the standard XC90 brochure?

·
Registered
2,356 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have the ventilated seats and they are great! Black leather in a very sunny day is usually nearly too hot to sit in, with the ventilation it took literally a few seconds to cool it down. It is surprisingly effective...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the ventilated seats and they are great! Black leather in a very sunny day is usually nearly too hot to sit in, with the ventilation it took literally a few seconds to cool it down. It is surprisingly effective...

So the Inscription seats are not cooled? They only blow air?

·
Registered
2,356 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
So the Inscription seats are not cooled? They only blow air?
actually they don't blow (oh man why am I smiling while I write this?) they suck (smile getting bigger and bigger). Now seriously: the idea is that a ventilator sucks air through the holes in the leather and thus cool down whatever is sitting on it. I'd like to understand the physics of this but since it works really well for me I'm happy even if I don't get the details.
Just to give you an idea, this summer with temperatures reaching 40C a fully "cooked" seat would be "cool" inside 60secs.

ps: we are starting to sound like Beavis & Butthead :D

·
Registered
541 Posts
actually they don't blow (oh man why am I smiling while I write this?) they suck (smile getting bigger and bigger). Now seriously: the idea is that a ventilator sucks air through the holes in the leather and thus cool down whatever is sitting on it. I'd like to understand the physics of this but since it works really well for me I'm happy even if I don't get the details.
Just to give you an idea, this summer with temperatures reaching 40C a fully "cooked" seat would be "cool" inside 60secs.

Haha. I feel like Chandler from Friends where he was dared not to make fun of anything for a day.....

I did not know that the ventilated seats "suck" air in instead of blowing air out. Interesting.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
This thread turned very "dirty" lol :D

·
Registered
440 Posts
Does the new R-Design seats have the logo imprinted on them?

Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts

I think the intention of this feature is to cool the seat not the passenger. By sucking the air in it uses sort of a ventri effect to remove the head from the seat without affecting the air flow on the passenger. If the air blew out it would have more effect on the passenger (like the air coming out of the vents) and less effect on the seat. I think this is a good approach and minimizes any forced air flow on the passenger which could be annoying at times.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts