SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my XC90 back in July and took delivery near Boston today. I ordered the R in Osmium Gray Metallic with climate, convenience, air, mudflaps and load bars (basic audio). My hearing on one side isn't that great, and I had a hard time discerning enough of a difference between the 2 systems, so saved a few bucks on that. I had a set of Blizzaks installed by the dealer as parto of my delivery - mounted to the 20's for snows. I also saved a few bucks by ordering early, and taking advantage of a Volvo loyalty discount. In terms of my decision on the XC90 R, I had been looking for a new car for some time and was coming out of a 4Runner. My primary criteria for the new vehicle were:

#1. 7 Seater
#2. AWD / 4WD 3 / good all weather handling
#3 Safe
#4 Economical / Not a gas guzzler
#5 Technically advanced / CarPlay
#6 Not too harsh on the eyes

Adding all of those together does seem to narrow your options quickly, and when all was said and done, I was either going back into a new Limited Edition 4Runner with a small 3rd Row, or getting the R-Design. I will be honest, when I saw the Matte Blue R coming out of Detroit, I pretty much had my mind finally made up for me. When I started my search, a Q7 was almost a forgone conclusion, but I was not excited by it other than the fact that i once owned a S-Line A3 Quattro with a V6 and it absolutely was the funnest car I have ever owned. That was all Audi had going for it after a test drive of the Q7 a year ago. I knew this next car didn't need to tick a "high-performance" check box, but I still wanted a little sportiness in whatever I landed in, and I would be hauling skis, and bikes and surf boards, etc.

Fast forward to today and I must say I am very happy with the decision and the purchase. I went through normal car buying stuff, but today it all made it worthwhile. I literally couldn't stop reading the owners manual (both on the sensus screen and the physical manual). There are so many unique customizations that can be made to the lighting, the ride, the experience. I have set up my garage remote, figured out the mood lighting, futzed with the equalizers, set memory for my seat, used the 3rd row, customized my gauge display, paired my device via Bluetooth, enabled WiFi, etc. The list goes on an on, and this was all in a few hours. In any event, the Sensus system seems to be working perfectly so far. Not to jinx myself, but all good on day 1. So if you are waiting, I think you will end up like me and be pleasantly overwhelmed with everything. I am probably more simple to please than most and not a car guy - and not really a forum guy either. But thanks to this forum, adjusting today was pretty painless and helped make things even easier. There will be kinks and bugs - there always are. Tomorrow I need to figure out what to dow with the front bumper holes when I remove the front license plate mount. Here are a few pics. :beer:

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Nice! Congrats. Really like that R badge strangely enough. And the wheels. I'd love to see some interior pics.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Very sharp, congrats!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Looks great! congrats. Are you planning to swap the tires from the same set of wheels twice a year or are you going to run a different summer set?

the 20s look awesome with the Blizzaks

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Previously, I ran 2 separate wheel sets for the 4Runner. I love the looks of the 20's with the blizzaks too, but I think i may splurge and run the R Design 22's for summers. I can try to justify it by only using each set for 6 months out of each year. LOL. Maybe by spring time there will be some better aftermarket options out there, but this car screams for the 22's (in the right conditions) and you only live once!

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Wow congratulations! First R-Design on this forum :partywave: :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Previously, I ran 2 separate wheel sets for the 4Runner. I love the looks of the 20's with the blizzaks too, but I think i may splurge and run the R Design 22's for summers. I can try to justify it by only using each set for 6 months out of each year. LOL. Maybe by spring time there will be some better aftermarket options out there, but this car screams for the 22's (in the right conditions) and you only live once!
I couldn't agree more and have run two sets of wheels/tires on our last couple BMWs including our current car. Each set lasts about twice as long since like you say, you're only running them half the year. Not to mention that really good winter tires and really good summer tires are each generally quite bit cheaper than even decent all-seasons and you get much better braking, cornering, wet/dry traction etc. all year round.

Agree as well re: the 22s as they really fill out the wheel wells and look awesome. Concerned that there appears to be only one available set of tires in the stock size though and they are ridiculously expensive.

also had the thought of going with aftermarket 21s but those Volvo 22s are some dang fine wheels.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Now that looks familiar! ;) Congrats, skitruck - glad the delivery went well and you're finally in your new vehicle. Great pics and nice write-up of your first impressions. Mine's due in port tomorrow, so I'll see you on the road soon.

·
Registered
226 Posts
+1 on interior shots!

Congrats! Looks amazing! I'm really digging that color!

·
Registered
226 Posts
It's going to be really tough picking a color when it's to place my order...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
R Interior Mostly

Can you put up some shots of the interior please all the R Design tweaks would be good...
I removed Front License Plate Holder (QUESTION: Plug with bolts or leave bolts off?... Looks better like this with no bolts in the mounting holes!)

Sunroof from 3rd Row:

R Design Seat (I can see the nubuck center suede portion getting sticky in summer, but very comfortable if you like form fitting seats):

Dash - So Clean and Simple

Console from from center:

Driver Door Detail:

R-Sill Plate (illuminates at night for easy entrance / exit):

Center Middle Row Arm Rest / Cup Holder:

Rear Passenger Door Detail:

View from Driver door looking at guages in "simple" mode:

R-Design Paddle Shifter (+):

R-Pedals:

R-Matte Mirror:

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks - sorry for the crap pictures, I was using lower res as I didn't have much time for photos this AM. I am still running the same Reg / Plates I had on my first car back in 1988, when Mass had no front plates. Essentially grandfathered in and don't need a front plate if I transfer reg (unless law changes). Looks much better without the empty front plate holder on there. Any thoughts on leaving the 2 plate mount holes open on the front bumper vs. plugging them with the screws for the plate mount? It looks much better right now with those 2 holes unplugged. Guess I could jam some grease in the holes or find a small rubber washer to go back in with the screws too.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Beautiful vehicle!

I've always wondered. How are those metal pedals in winter when you've got slush on the bottom of your shoes. Would your feet actually slip or would you have sufficient grip?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks - sorry for the crap pictures, I was using lower res as I didn't have much time for photos this AM. I am still running the same Reg / Plates I had on my first car back in 1988, when Mass had no front plates. Essentially grandfathered in and don't need a front plate if I transfer reg (unless law changes). Looks much better without the empty front plate holder on there. Any thoughts on leaving the 2 plate mount holes open on the front bumper vs. plugging them with the screws for the plate mount? It looks much better right now with those 2 holes unplugged. Guess I could jam some grease in the holes or find a small rubber washer to go back in with the screws too.
You've got one of the old green plates? That's great - keep it as long as you can! I hate the look of a front plate and in the past have tried to go without it, but am now resigned to the fact that I need it in to pass inspection and also avoid a reason to get pulled over.

As far as plugs, I've used this site in the past for previous vehicles. bumperplugs. I have no affiliation with them, but have found that fit and color match is excellent, although they may not yet have the new XC90 colors available.

Nice interior shots by the way. I'm itching to get mine now...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Beautiful vehicle!

I've always wondered. How are those metal pedals in winter when you've got slush on the bottom of your shoes. Would your feet actually slip or would you have sufficient grip?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Aluminum pedals typically have raised ridges of soft plastic or rubber, which helps with grip. I've had no issues with any of my previous vehicles that have had them.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts