SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Occasionally, when I restart the car, instead of immediately settling into the normal idle, the engine "burbles" or "stutters" along at 500 rpm. Blipping the gas pedal results in a stalled engine. Best solution has been to just limp away in Drive, and it clears quickly. It also did this once when first accelerating onto the freeway.

2013 with less than 40,000 miles.

Thanks for any ideas! Dealer is an hour away, and I dread the "could not duplicate" service visit.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Occasionally, when I restart the car, instead of immediately settling into the normal idle, the engine "burbles" or "stutters" along at 500 rpm. Blipping the gas pedal results in a stalled engine. Best solution has been to just limp away in Drive, and it clears quickly. It also did this once when first accelerating onto the freeway.

2013 with less than 40,000 miles.

Thanks for any ideas! Dealer is an hour away, and I dread the "could not duplicate" service visit.
Any fault codes?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Or not holding pressure when it is switched off, usually fuel pump check valve but can be leaking injector. The fuel system is dead end so if the fuel drains the injectors have to cycle several times not delivering enough fuel to those cylinders until the liquid fuel arrives. Blipping the throttle and having it stall is another sign of overly lean from low fuel pressure and frothy fuel. Could also be fuel pressure sensor but that is not usually a first started issue and sets codes. When it loses fuel from fuel line it will have correct pressure but it is air pressure until that air bleeds via injector opening pulses.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any fault codes?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sounds like it could be a coil or coils
Or not holding pressure when it is switched off, usually fuel pump check valve but can be leaking injector. The fuel system is dead end so if the fuel drains the injectors have to cycle several times not delivering enough fuel to those cylinders until the liquid fuel arrives. Blipping the throttle and having it stall is another sign of overly lean from low fuel pressure and frothy fuel. Could also be fuel pressure sensor but that is not usually a first started issue and sets codes. When it loses fuel from fuel line it will have correct pressure but it is air pressure until that air bleeds via injector opening pulses.
Thanks for the ideas! The "not holding fuel pressure" seems like it describes what I'm feeling. Once the initial problem subsides, the car runs perfectly. No smoke, normal fuel mileage, etc.

But it only happens when warm. Never on a cold start. Well, not yet, anyway!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now the check engine light has come on, so it looks like the annual trip to the dealer will be perfectly timed. I'll report back on the ultimate solution in November (gone the rest of this month, so can't get the car in until then).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts