SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I am just about ready to pull the trigger on a new xc60.
I am coming off of a V70 R and am having trouble loving the ride and drive of the 60, however the ground clearance of my V70 is pretty problematic for me with the roads around here.

Questions: I can buy the non-R and install the polestar for less money than the R, Is it worth the extra money to get the R-design strictly from a handling perspective?
I am very concerned with how loose the car feels and how much body roll it has. I am going to test drive the R this week, but the regular XC 60 was very unstable feeling to me compared to my V70.
The brakes felt a lot less effective as well compared to the brembo's on my 70.

Thoughts on the value of the R-design appreciated.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I bought the regular XC60 T6 for the softer ride and cheaper entry point. If sportier handling is your end goal, just get the R-Design. It is a better looking package inside and out, you get the xenon's standard, the extra HP, and the sportier handling. So if cost or comfort isn't the main driver of your decision, and power and sport is, probably makes more sense to just go with the R. JMOP

TREX

·
Registered
837 Posts
This is a bit tough to answer since most of us have only had one or the other (RD vs. non-RD), although I believe BLUKTY2 has one of each! For ME the best thing about the RD are the cosmetics. In order, my favorite cosmetic items are Passion red color (love it and ONLY available on RD), two tone seats with black carpet 9again, RD only), body color lower molding (RD only), gray moldings (some can be had non-RD, but not all). We've already had unsolicited comments on the look of the car (yes, yes, so my ego likes a little stroking).

The power upgrade for the RD is nice, but... it's 25HP and 30lbs ft of torque. Not exactly compelling in its own right - and I'm not sure I would pony up for polestar on a non-RD.

The handling is definitely better in the RD, but it isn't entirely well-sorted. I think IDMD indicated he felt it was like a bunch of bolted on aftermarket parts as opposed to a well-engineered solution. I might not got that far, but I also see what he is talking about.

For me, the biggest compromise has been low speed ride quality over bumpy roads or any roads with "drop off" expansion cracks (i.e. going from high to low where the impact is harsh). My whole thread here on that subject:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?169983-R-Design-Ride-Quality

If you are not stuck on an RD specific color I might seek to compare a standard T6 with the dynamic control package (i.e. adjustable shocks) as that might be the best of both worlds. I might pay for this package over the polestar upgrade depending on what a test drive revealed. If you don't want to order one though, the challenge will be finding a T6 with the dynamic package in stock somewhere. I think dealers view the dynamic package as a "performance" option and figure "if someone wants a performance version, they will just get the R-Design"

Several folks have now tried out the IPD rear sway bar so that is another option to correct some wallow.

We've had our car for 2 months today and I'm pretty sure we would still do the R-design if given the opportunity to do it over again (although I am considering moving the other way to the softer struts/shocks....need more time on that one).

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
With the R, you're 'stuck' with the 20" wheels, yes? Seems those contribute to the less-comfy ride. Our XC60 T6 is certainly tighter than our '04 V70, but I can see where it would not compare to the R version of the 70(just the clearance alone would be a significant change to overcome).

This might be a perfect opportunity for a one-off XC 70 R ;)

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I think I am just about ready to pull the trigger on a new xc60.
I am coming off of a V70 R and am having trouble loving the ride and drive of the 60, however the ground clearance of my V70 is pretty problematic for me with the roads around here.

Questions: I can buy the non-R and install the polestar for less money than the R, Is it worth the extra money to get the R-design strictly from a handling perspective?
I am very concerned with how loose the car feels and how much body roll it has. I am going to test drive the R this week, but the regular XC 60 was very unstable feeling to me compared to my V70.
The brakes felt a lot less effective as well compared to the brembo's on my 70.

Thoughts on the value of the R-design appreciated.
Kind of hard to compare a 2004-2007 V70R to a newer XC60 T6, because right off the bat you have the ride height which is always going to be higher on a CUV/SUV, but at least the R-Design has a slightly lower ride height. Another thing to remember is the XC60 weighs 575lbs. more than the V70R which is definitely going to make a difference in handling and braking factors. It's always going to be hard to compare Brembo's to regular brake calipers, especially if you've been driving the V70R for a number of years; I noticed the difference but after several months with the S60 R-Design and adjusting to the brakes they feel fine.

My vote would be for the R-Design model since my parents have one and I love to drive it. It definitely much more fun to drive and just like 'Cab' said the styling cues are definitely a plus, but also the driving dyanmics are great to have. The 20" wheels definitely can be a bit rough on certain roads, but that is really the trade-off for running low profile tires on a CUV this size. Depending how you option out the XC60, it maybe a better bargain to go with the R-Design over a fully loaded T6 with Polestar tune. Either way it is a great and fun vehicle to own.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Technically, you can option a set of 19" rims, but they are a ridiculous $3K. I suppose a dealer would probably work with you to get 18"s and no doubt a bunch of folks would trade their stock 18"s for the Cratus 20's. You can always go aftermarket too of course.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm, thanks for the replies.

I am struggling with this decision as I love my R. However, the maintenance on it, and the ground clearance issue has left me thinking about a new car, but I don't feel excited at all about the XC60. The loss of my manual transmission and the 40% worse gas mileage feels like a huge blow. Having bluetooth and ipod connectivity are a plus for me though.

I have to order the 'platinum' trim package to get the premium sound unfortunately, so that makes the R design quite a bit more expensive.

I'm also finding a 2012 and not ordering a 2013 so will have to compromise somewhat on equipment I guess.

I just can't make up my mind.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Actually at the end of the day there really isn't that much of a difference in price once you build it out:

Both Ice White w/black leather:
R-Design-$50,025 w/Platinum, Climate, PCC
T6 AWD-$49,570 w/Platinum, Climate, PCC, Xenon, Polestar Tune, Dynamic Chassis (4C)

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Any guesses as to the price difference between an end-of-year '12(toward summer) and waiting for the '13? Perhaps the savings will 'salve' the sting of certain options.
I hope to be going through a similar dilemma next year, comparing our '10 T6 with what's available for '14.

You'll also be losing a smidge of cargo deck space and rear seat passenger foot/leg room, I believe. I truly enjoy the compact length of the 60 vs the two 70s we had; but I can 'feel your pain' in making the switch.(Of course, the new S&S coverage can do a lot to assuage those feelings of post-purchase dissonance ;) ).

·
Registered
837 Posts
We saved several thousand going with a manager demo (and I just try not to think about how it was driven for the first 1600 miles before we got it) - you are of course limited to what is available (in our case, what was available was exactly what we were looking for). Oh, and I don't think the XC60 R-design is any lower than the regular XC60. I believe I read that in several articles (note: the S60, on the other hand, was lowered if I'm not mistaken).

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
We saved several thousand going with a manager demo (and I just try not to think about how it was driven for the first 1600 miles before we got it) - you are of course limited to what is available (in our case, what was available was exactly what we were looking for). Oh, and I don't think the XC60 R-design is any lower than the regular XC60. I believe I read that in several articles (note: the S60, on the other hand, was lowered if I'm not mistaken).
I thought since it has stiffer springs that it was somewhat lower; I was thought my mom's XC60 RD looked a little lower than the regular XC60. Another plus with the RD is the seats!

·
Registered
418 Posts
The XC60 RD is the same height. I think you will much prefer the XC60 RD based on your prior car and your concerns over the handling.

PureDrive07, do you know if the 2013 XC60 RD is also getting the upgraded brakes that the S60 RD is getting?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm, that would be interesting if the '13 was getting bigger brakes, I definitely noticed the brakes on the Xc vs my V70 R.
In Canada, there is a substantial price difference, and it's a pretty spendy car to begin with. I had decided on the '12 just because of the cost savings over ordering a new '13 but if the brakes were bigger on the '13 that would make me consider waiting....
Damn, one more thing to think about.
I am going to test drive the R on thursday.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, one of my hesitations with the R was those 20" wheels. I run winter studded tires and don't' want to shell out for those. Presumably I could run 18's in winter?

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
There hasn't been any news about the brakes on the XC60 R Design.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I haven't found anything on the brakes either.
I just want to make up my mind and get this over with. Every day I look at the V70 I feel sad at loosing her.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Oh, one of my hesitations with the R was those 20" wheels. I run winter studded tires and don't' want to shell out for those. Presumably I could run 18's in winter?
Don't see why not. So long as you keep the overall height the same with the correct tire you should be fine. Hmmm, wait, there is the whole TPMS (tire pressure sensor) thing so that might complicate matters. Not sure if you would need the special sensors added, etc - not always cheap.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah, I haven't found anything on the brakes either.
I just want to make up my mind and get this over with. Every day I look at the V70 I feel sad at loosing her.
I don't think, personally, you are ready to make the change. Why are you? I read regret running all through your posts. Do you have to give up the V70 to get a new car? Maybe the XC60 isn't the one. Have you looked at the 90s? Or the XC70? If you love your V70 that much, don't do anything that will cause major regret. You won't like anything you purchase regardless of its quality.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
arowens54, I totally hear what you are saying. I definitely feel like the 60 is a downgrade from my 70R, but however much I love driving the 70, it is just too unreliable and not practical for me. It constantly needs expensive repairs. The check engine light is on almost constantly, I have spend thousands on it in the last year and I am fed up. Logic would dictate that now that I've spend all that money on it, I should drive it til the wheels fall off, but I am just too busy to deal with it. The light is on yet again, there is a suspicious clunk in the front strut... who knows what else is coming down the pipe? I also have to cringe every time I go over a bump or try to avoid a pothole. The ground clearance is huge issue as well.
If the 70 didn't have so many mechanical problems OR had better ground clearance OR I could fix it myself OR I wasn't working fulltime and had time to drive to the mechanic every month, no way would I let her go, but as it stands it just seems like too much to deal with.
I'm hoping that driving the 60 r-design will leave me with a better impression.
I did absolutely adore the keyless drive and bluetooth and ipod connectivity, none of which I have in my 70.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I really wouldn't call it a downgrade because it's not a manual or doesn't have Brembos. There is definitely a lot of pros than cons coming from the P2 chassis which is built like its 2001. Once again drive the R-Design and see what you think.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts