SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
R-Design Front Seats; are these all the same?

Wondering is someone can explain to me the difference in driver seats in R Design cars. I'm looking at 2018 and 2019 cars on Autotrader and I see some cars have this little rocker switch on lumbar support knob. I know what it does - middle/upper back adjustment via a screen, but want to understand: Is this a separate feature/option or just the change from one model year to next? I really want my next car has it . our XC90 doesn't have it and I don't like seats because of that.

here is the pic :

Attachments

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Separate option.
My V90 MY18 doesn't have it but the MY17 we test drove before ordering our had it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Depends if you have massage seats or not

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all For replies. So, If I want this feature, I have to ask if the car in question has a massage seat?

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
Thank you all For replies. So, If I want this feature, I have to ask if the car in question has a massage seat?
No, any of the seats that have multiple functions for that controller have the rocker switch. Massage currently only is on Inscription with lux package. I'd make sure to sit in a car with it first as many folks prefer the more standard seat. Some cars have a manual thigh extension so they didn't need the rocker as they only have lumbar adjustment. Depends on year, model, trim etc.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, now Im getting confused. Can someone tell me what I have to ask ( feature, option, package etc) if i want to have a seat with adjustable middle back support ( whatever it called properly) that is controlled by rocker switch and on screen actions.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Well, now Im getting confused. Can someone tell me what I have to ask ( feature, option, package etc) if i want to have a seat with adjustable middle back support ( whatever it called properly) that is controlled by rocker switch and on screen actions.
R-Design in the US (can't speak to other markets) would NOT have had massage as even an option.

The only variation on R-Design seats in the US is:

1: Full leather or alcantara (or whatever Volvo calls their synthetic suede) with leather.
2: Manual or electric thigh extension (which was a model year change for 2019, as I mentioned above).

Otherwise, the seats are the same for R-Designs, with electric position adjustments and 4-way lumbar adjustment.

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
The rocker switch doesn't determine lumbar functionality at all. It is just found on cars with the electric thigh extension as a way of using the same switch as lumbar for the thigh extension as well.

Also, I would stick with a 2019 as the pricing should be similar and they have the upgraded processor for much faster load times on the Sensus. If you're going to keep the car for awhile you might as well get the better computer (and extra year of warranty depending on in service date)

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The rocker switch doesn't determine lumbar functionality at all. It is just found on cars with the electric thigh extension as a way of using the same switch as lumbar for the thigh extension as well.

Also, I would stick with a 2019 as the pricing should be similar and they have the upgraded processor for much faster load times on the Sensus. If you're going to keep the car for awhile you might as well get the better computer (and extra year of warranty depending on in service date)
Im pretty sure the rocked switch does determine lumbar functions. Initially I thought it was for extension only but i remember i sat in the car pulled the rocker up and Sensus screen comes alive and indicated a section of the seat that could be made more or less supported/”inflated”. Cannot attest if it was RD car though 😞

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
Up through 2018 the thigh extension was manual. In 2019 it became electric.
It might be up through 2017 because my MY18 V90CC has it.

To the OP, in my V90CC, when you pull on the rocker switch, you get four options (no particular order),
1) Thigh extension
2) Side bolsters
3) Lumbar support and
4) Massage.

·
Registered
911 Posts
It might be up through 2017 because my MY18 V90CC has it.

To the OP, in my V90CC, when you pull on the rocker switch, you get four options (no particular order),
1) Thigh extension
2) Side bolsters
3) Lumbar support and
4) Massage.
He's asking about R-design seats. The only v90cc that shares seat style with the R-Design is the Ocean Race.

Your description of functions tells me you have the luxury package on your v90cc, which always had electric thigh extenders.

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
Im pretty sure the rocked switch does determine lumbar functions. Initially I thought it was for extension only but i remember i sat in the car pulled the rocker up and Sensus screen comes alive and indicated a section of the seat that could be made more or less supported/”inflated”. Cannot attest if it was RD car though 😞
The only lumbar functions are in/out and up/down. They are controlled by the d-pad in the middle of that dial. The rocker just selects between the lumbar and the thigh extension on an R design that has electronic thigh extension. The rocker does not make any adjustments itself... it's just for selecting the function to adjust.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
He's asking about R-design seats. The only v90cc that shares seat style with the R-Design is the Ocean Race.

Your description of functions tells me you have the luxury package on your v90cc, which always had electric thigh extenders.
Aah. Ok. Gotcha! Yes, I got the luxury package with the Inscription trim.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts