SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys - I went with the R in bursting blue, most of the options but no air suspension and stock 20s due to New England roads. Is there a noticeable (for the worse) ride on the 22s. Sidewall is not that much different, 35 vs45. Will the rim bend that much easier? Also, it is due to port on nov 12, can I get a switch done at the port or am I stuck?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Buy the wheel and tire insurance from Volvo and get the 22's please. It looks that much nicer. the 22's are installed at port as far as I know. (based on my order) .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I hit the bullet and told dealership to add the 22s. It should be in enough time. I was told that my car is supposed to hit the port this week, not on Nov 12 as was originally expected. Starting to get antsy.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Buy the wheel and tire insurance from Volvo and get the 22's please. It looks that much nicer. the 22's are installed at port as far as I know. (based on my order) .
IMHO "Looks" are one thing, and the reality of driving conditions + tires in specific regions are another. The 22's will be my summer wheels here in New England. No way I am running those things with the stock tires where I plan to drive this winter! And with a dedicated winter set, I will get a lot more life out of the 22's, hopefully without roadside assistance too.

·
Registered
106 Posts
IMHO "Looks" are one thing, and the reality of driving conditions + tires in specific regions are another. The 22's will be my summer wheels here in New England. No way I am running those things with the stock tires where I plan to drive this winter! And with a dedicated winter set, I will get a lot more life out of the 22's, hopefully without roadside assistance too.
I'm in the same area, and wouldn't even consider the 22's for just the summer with our roads the ways they are! Too bad, because I love the look of them...

·
Registered
180 Posts
I didn't order the R-Design but the one inbound Inscription that I snagged and was not pre-sold has the upgraded wheels to 21". Although I don't live in snow country, I enjoy going up to Tahoe for some skiing/snowboarding four hours away. It doesn't make sense for me to buy a separate stock of wheels for winter tires as my daily winter driving conditions don't warrant it as there is no snow to speak of.

If your plan is sticking with all season tires, the only suggestion I have is to see what 22" tires are available on the market prior to making the purchase. Tirerack only pulled up three tires available in 21", with two of them being summer tires. My favorite Continental DWS tires aren't available in this size.... If you stick with the 20"'s, you'll have plenty of selection.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I didn't order the R-Design but the one inbound Inscription that I snagged and was not pre-sold has the upgraded wheels to 21". Although I don't live in snow country, I enjoy going up to Tahoe for some skiing/snowboarding four hours away. It doesn't make sense for me to buy a separate stock of wheels for winter tires as my daily winter driving conditions don't warrant it as there is no snow to speak of.

If your plan is sticking with all season tires, the only suggestion I have is to see what 22" tires are available on the market prior to making the purchase. Tirerack only pulled up three tires available in 21", with two of them being summer tires. My favorite Continental DWS tires aren't available in this size.... If you stick with the 20"'s, you'll have plenty of selection.
Whenever the 21"'s go to bed...I would probably opt for the Nokian WRG3 SUV tire. It's an all weather/season tire and has great reviews. I see STS seems to be an authorized dealer but still can't find it on the STS site. I guess finding them and hoping they are economical will be the hard part.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Whenever the 21"'s go to bed...I would probably opt for the Nokian WRG3 SUV tire. It's an all weather/season tire and has great reviews. I see STS seems to be an authorized dealer but still can't find it on the STS site. I guess finding them and hoping they are economical will be the hard part.
I agree with the tire selection. And I believe you can buy them off Tire Rack and have them shipped to any dealer who will then mount, balance, etc.

I run the Nokians year-round in my XC90, but I don't drive it like a sports car. I just drive it like a normal car. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh my God help me, I am waiting to hear back from the dealer if I can re-opt out of the 22s. I just looked at cost of tire replacement, only tirerack and the Volvo dealership have them normally, and none in stock, which can be an issue, but the COST... over 600 per tire. that is just wrong, who is going to pay 2500-3k just for 1 set of tires?
there are some cheaper ones and still good tires in slightly different sizes, like 275 40 R22, 265 40 r22. does anyone know if the slightly larger sidewall will still fit? I was so pumped to get the 22s since the look great IMO, but 600+ per tire may be a non starter.
Did anyone get the tire/rim insurance? care to share the cost? /facepalm this is so typical when the car guy buys the car and it will just be the family cruiser anyway with goldfish crumbs and milk stains everywhere. ugh.

·
Registered
47 Posts
oh my God help me, I am waiting to hear back from the dealer if I can re-opt out of the 22s. I just looked at cost of tire replacement, only tirerack and the Volvo dealership have them normally, and none in stock, which can be an issue, but the COST... over 600 per tire. that is just wrong, who is going to pay 2500-3k just for 1 set of tires?
there are some cheaper ones and still good tires in slightly different sizes, like 275 40 R22, 265 40 r22. does anyone know if the slightly larger sidewall will still fit? I was so pumped to get the 22s since the look great IMO, but 600+ per tire may be a non starter.
Did anyone get the tire/rim insurance? care to share the cost? /facepalm this is so typical when the car guy buys the car and it will just be the family cruiser anyway with goldfish crumbs and milk stains everywhere. ugh.

I paid $750 for the wheel and tire from volvo red bank nj. 5yr. $895. Also covers cosmetic wheel issues,dent and ding on body,lost keys, and windshield and extends roadside assistance for 1 year. The cost of tires at $600 a piece is crazy. But if you want the look you have to pay the $$$. Don't remind me about the goldfish crumbs. I look at my current family suv (x5m) and lose my mind over it. Will have to rule with the iron fist from here on out lol. My dad did and i ended up fine ....up until now at least

·
Registered
568 Posts
Was looking at the 22" also and wow, only one tire available for $630ea, that's crazy. You can replace all 4 20" tires for close to that price. Wonder why Volvo chose to use an odd size tire from other 22" widths.

Anyway it's actually a better deal to order the Volvo/tire combo for the 22" than to get new tires on your existing 22"s
http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-us/XC90(16-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-485273/2016

·
Registered
301 Posts
I am not a tire expert, but I think you can use a different width and be okay. If you change to 265/35R22, TireRack has it starting at $137. The 275/35R22 must be a very unique size and that is why it is so expensive.

·
Registered
301 Posts
You can calculate the difference at http://www.net-comber.com/tirecalc.html. Changing from 275/35R22 to 265/35R22, when driving 65mph, you will actually be driving 64.394mph. Ride height will change by -0.138 inches.

Based on my quick research and reading through different car forums, we should be okay

I'm going to call my tire shop tomorrow and confirm also.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Cause 265 would even be a smaller side wall. If 285 didn't rub then it could be perfect.
285/35R22 at Tire Rack starts around $200.

The price for 275/35R22 is very high because no other tire manufacturer has that size in the US.

When Googling
275/35R22, it looks like it is made by other manufacturers, but in the UK.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
285 will be make the tires wider. Only issue I see is possible scraping.
Wider is def. better :D I currently run 315 in the back of our X5 :) Will def. miss those!!!

I prefer this tire calculator better https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=275-35r22-285-35r22

This is the overlay view OEM vs 285/35-22:

Side by side view:

I didn't realize how expensive those tires are in that size & only one? :eek: I would def. go with 285/35-22, much cheaper!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Wider is def. better :D I currently run 315 in the back of our X5 :) Will def. miss those!!!

I prefer this tire calculator better https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=275-35r22-285-35r22

This is the overlay view OEM vs 285/35-22:

Side by side view:

I didn't realize how expensive those tires are in that size & only one? :eek: I would def. go with 285/35-22, much cheaper!
You're right, 285/35R22 is a better choice. I can't imagine 10 millimeters wider will cause any issues.

I don't understand why only one tire manufacturer makes 275/35R22.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah, using the calculator the 285's are only .7 bigger. And comparing my 275-40-21 to 275-35-22 the 22's are .3 smaller. So if you went with the 285's the diameter would only be .4 larger than my 21's so rubbing should not be an issue.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts