SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,
i see many posts of dying or dead R's from broken motors or whatever so i thought i would post a comeback.

in the beginning of June on my way home from work, i suddenly lost power and had to limp home. i had a sinking feeling it was something serious. did all the checks that i could, sans compression. took it in and sure enough i lost all compression in cylinder #4.

the shop was able to find an 04 motor with 50K miles so i grabbed it. my old motor and chassis has 116K. i made a few frantic posts here about compatibility of an 04 and 05 motor and had some helpful responses.

since a new motor was going in, i had the clutch replaced. went with a Viva single mass and OE clutch kit. swapped my new timing belt, new water pump, new serpentine, new coolant hoses...

i hope i'm set for another 100k miles!

Also, when i had questions about motor compatibility, i sent George at Viva an email. George called me back during off hours and really helped answer my questions. he has such passion for this crazy car.

Now i have a Rica stage II tune that will arrive from Viva next week and i'm stressed about loading it for fear of blowing THIS motor. :confused:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Such a great looking VR. Love the clean monochrome look.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Awesome! Welcome back to a clean V70R. I wouldn't sweat it with the Rica tune, not like you're putting a bigger turbo on it, however, I don't see a boost gauge in your sig - definitely something you should have if you don't already.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Glad to hear you're back in business. You should definitely bring your ride on the NorCal drive on the 7th or to [url="http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?160685-Jim-Russell-Performance-Driving-School-at-Sears-Point]Infineon for the track day on the 13th[/url]. Best way to make sure it's really healthy ;)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome! Welcome back to a clean V70R. I wouldn't sweat it with the Rica tune, not like you're putting a bigger turbo on it, however, I don't see a boost gauge in your sig - definitely something you should have if you don't already.
yes, i know i need to get a boost gauge on there before i load the tune.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
awesome story!

passion for the passion red!

how much did it run you to get her going again?
around 6K. i highly recommend Bo Jonsson's in San Mateo for anybody in the SF bay area/Peninsula. he treats lots of R's

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
:thumbup: look'n good, i bet it felt great to have it back on the road

1 - 10 of 10 Posts