SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a bit of a novice working Volvos and have a basic question before I dig in deep on the exhaust replacement project on my 125,000 VR. It appears to be the original exhaust with the two bolt/nuts connecting the DP and exhaust are either so rusted they fused with the threads dissolved or it some connector with which I am not familiar. I was expecting a few minute job to pull the old off, but my chisel and hammer don't seem to have much effect, and there's not enough room for any of my other tools that I could use to grind or cut it off. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

GLM

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
I had to use dremel to cut the bolt heads into "pie pieces" and then break the pieces off with a screwdriver. Once I did this, I had to slide my jack up under the flange of the cat-back exhaust, raise it up a little (only contacting the cat-back, not the downpipe), then go to the back of the caR and move the exhaust up and down until it let go.

Unfortunately, it is not a few minute job. Good luck!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I ended up attacking mine with a dremel and a die grinder with a cut off wheel. Managed to cut enough of the bolt/nut that I could hammer the bolt out, but now the dp flange isn't completely flat because part of the nut or washer is basically fused to it and I couldn't grind any more with what I had, so not my new bolt is bent. Taking my time with some shennanigins it took a few hours to get the old one off, good luck!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Use a torch
Got to go with the tools that I've got and torch isn't one of them. I'm tempted to drive it to a shop and pay somebody to use a torch on it and then bolt it back so I can drive it home and do the rest of the job.

Thanks,

GLM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts