SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
question of the day: creaking/like something is loose at very slow speeds from drivers side front wheel. I have a very good tech at my dealership, works on R's all the time. says that R oem brake pads will stretch sometimes causing the annoying noise. says the pads are getting cheaper.. I agree. has anyone found a brembo pad that will fit the Brembo brake system or an OEM type pad that is better quality? dont need anything fancy.

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts
Re: R brake pads (row)

I have never known of a pad "stretching". Hard to imagine in what dimension it would "stretch".

The noise, as described, does not sound like it is related to brakes, if it just occurs at low speeds, without brakes in play. I would be more inclinced to think CV joint, wheel bearing, or some suspension component.

Regarding brake pads, I would go with OEM, which are made by Jurid. Brembo does not make pads, however they do have companies that private label for them. Truth be known, there are few actual pad manufacturers, and many firms that market and private label.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Re: R brake pads (Needsdecaf)

the only "stretching" I've heard of with brake pads is trying to stretch more life out of them. No idea what that other fella was referring to.

It sounds more like CV or bearing, as was stated.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: R brake pads (T5 for Life)

thanks. Interesting, the tech has never been wrong before , said all looked fine, CV, bearing etc.. said very common among R's

·
Registered
3,481 Posts

I don't think you can tell if a bearing is going bad by looking at it externally. A CV joint may be ruled out that way if you judge by an intact vs. leaking boot.

Maybe the tech was referring to the retaining clip thing on the pads moving a bit, but it shouldn't.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: (dugefResh)

I recently had a very similar symptom. At low speeds I was hearing a creaking/rubbing/grinding sound. It turned out to be a combonation of things. When I went to take the tire off I noticed that the lug bolts were rather loose. Once I took the wheel off I noticed that the little bolt that holds the rotor to the hub had loosened up and backed out a little bit (possibly because the lug bolts were loose?!). I took the small bolt out of the rotor and could clearly see that some of the threads were rounded over a bit from the rotor moving around. I put the bolt back in, snugged it up and put the wheel back on (and tightened the lugs!!!). Ever since - no more noises. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,621 Posts

Quote, originally posted by row »
says that R oem brake pads will stretch sometimes causing the annoying noise
First I've ever heard of brake pad stretch.
R they getting ready to workout or something?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: R brake pads (rogersampson)

Ok, got a second opinion on creaking (like some thing is very loose) from drivers front wheel. Not the CV. I am told the Splines are rubbing in the hub? only way to stop noise is glue axle to the bearings other then getting a new axle and bearings? huh, am i the only 06 VR with this noise issue. Its not the ping when going into drive or Rev. got that as well.

·
Registered
384 Posts

The loud brake noise at low speeds which sounds like stopping train or a dump truck(I like this one
) is very common issue with the R. If that is your case. If you are looking for pads I would recommend the Evolve pads. They are excellent street pads with low noise and dust. Not expensive either. I have also had Hawk HPS, HP Plus which are very good pads but noisy and dusty. For daily driver I strongly recommend Evolve pads!
Streching ??? What??? I don't think so.
If it's not your pads, I don't know. Make sure your caliper is tide in place and didn't get loose somehow, never heard of anything like that though?
There is also "brake dampers"(big, heavy pieces of metal that are mounted behind the calipers) which are sold by volvo, specificly for the R and decrease the noise a lot. I installed those on mine because my brakes were so loud that people would duck and run for cover.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: R brake pads (EAX)

thx on the pads. dont think its the brakes, the noise sounds a lot like a bad CV but that was checked, noise at very low speeds straight and slow turn, like something is rattling loose on front drivers wheel? very strange.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

Or try the hawk HPS, I like them. This is a pretty cheap swap (with either pad) with less dust and better stopping power. Might even fix those stretchy, clunky, oem pads...

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Re: R brake pads (Johnr352)

He's already said it's not the pads. It seems to be an axle-related issue at this point.

·
Super Moderator
14,838 Posts
The Cadillac CTS-V pads will work perfectly...made by Raybestos.

Part #: PDG-1050M

·
Super Moderator
14,838 Posts
Re: (epicV70R)

Quote, originally posted by epicV70R »
What year Cadillac CTS-V?

Anyone tried the HAWKS Ceramic Pads?

Not sure, you can just go by the part number, though.

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
The Hawk HPS and HPS+ works great. The Ferodo 2500 and 3500 are EXCELLENT but they are more agressive than OEM.

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
Re: (adykes)

Hawk Ceramics are crap if you do any sort of hard braking. HPS and HP+ are better until they exceed MOT in which case they become just as crappy. OEM pads take abuse much better IMHO. Of course a race-oriented pad like the Ferodos mentioned above will be far better than OEM, though I'm not sure I'd run them in the winter in cold climates.

Of course, if squeaks/squeals and brake dust are your only concerns, ignore the above.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts