SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So over the weekend. I was trimming my trees. I rented a 50' towable boom. I borrowed my friend f150 and towed it to my house and the truck was slipping up the hill and I was stuck couldn't get the 4800 lb boom up a small incline. So I decided to hook it up to the R and it all most bottom the rear suspension. The R had no trouble pushing the boom up the incline. I did do several burns out when it was haven't to get to go over some small rocks.

Overall I'm very impress with the stock R. But I thinking I'm going to have to replace the collar gear sleeve. I was going to do that anyways since I have to pull it out and reseal the angle gear since it got a couple leaks.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Inspect your AG collar before you replace it. If the splines are not worn no need to fix what isn't broken, a lot of what appears to kill the R collar is misalignment of the AG.

For that reason do your best to align the AG upon reassembly since any offset will kill even the best of collars.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-nice-things-(angle-gear-collar-failure-mode)

I to have been impressed with what the AWD on the R can do after towing over a ton of trailer and UTV through the various back roads of CO, most of which are not paved.

This thread deserves this classic vid of the R's AWD saving some poor VW owner, lol.

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
LOL! That R exhaust sounded GREAT! Any idea whose caR that is and what exhaust they had?

·
Registered
92 Posts
What the hell, bubba.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
That was AsianR he is on here.

Unfornatetly, I believe he got rid of his R due to an accident.

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts

His sig says "OBX Cat-Less Downpipe - 3" Elevate tipped Straight Pipe Exhaust"

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Pulled a suburban out of a snow drift with my '98 once, was glorious. (and yes, I know, wrong forum, but I like ya'll)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Towed ~3k lb trailer from DC to San Diego. Got a little hot going up some inclines in Arizona when it was 118 degrees out. Other than that she was great!

The towing capabilities are def underestimated.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts

Correct... Jhin is a local guy here in Detroit area, but he moved on.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Yup, that's the factory hitch option on my car.

It's even punched through the front bumper cover of a small car that rear ended me one time. Didn't do anything to me or the hitch but mar the rubber cover plug but the other guy's insurance paid for another one so I didn't care. Figure it saved me from having it hit my rear valence and really do some damage.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
This is what I'm used to hauling around out here in CO. Its electric and is great for going places the volvo never could, like the tops of mountains that would take about an entire day to hike up while weazing on thin air.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts

·
6,436 Posts
So over the weekend. I was trimming my trees. I rented a 50' towable boom. I borrowed my friend f150 and towed it to my house and the truck was slipping up the hill and I was stuck couldn't get the 4800 lb boom up a small incline. So I decided to hook it up to the R and it all most bottom the rear suspension. The R had no trouble pushing the boom up the incline. I did do several burns out when it was haven't to get to go over some small rocks.

Overall I'm very impress with the stock R. But I thinking I'm going to have to replace the collar gear sleeve. I was going to do that anyways since I have to pull it out and reseal the angle gear since it got a couple leaks.
All of that and no photos?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
OP, that's pretty impressive. I consistently see people over-estimating the abilities of their cars. I appreciate my experience with the R in that it's more often under-estimated.

Stealthy, I'm pretty sure that this is the first photo I've seen of your car fully assembled. Lovely car but, it's an odd site.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
At least I'm finally in the reassembly stage, lol. I should have the long block put together by the weekend and hopefully back in the car the weekend after that if everything goes according to plan. :cool:

·
2,521 Posts
Honestly it seems like these caRs are made for towing. Lots of torque, self leveling headlights, adjustable suspension and whatnot

1 - 20 of 25 Posts