SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Figured it was time to make one of these, for other but also so I can keep track of stuff!

After the loss of my last project, 2002 S60 AWD SEE BUILD THREAD It took me a good year before I finally found this 2006 Sonic Blue S60R M66, Which is basically where I left off on that car.

Current Power: 420WHP 398FTlb

Current Modification List

Drivetrain-
-2006 S60 T5 2.4 Engine 88K Miles From Erie Vovo

-Cavalli Ceramic Ball Bearing Turbo -55mm inducer/ 58mm exducer

-650CC Injectors

-JZW Tune For E85

-SNABB Intake

-SNABB OTE Pipe

-BELL FMIC

-Evolve 3.5" Downpipe

-Evolve Air Box

-TME Catback

-Extrude Honed + Ceramic Coated Exhaust Manifold

-Spec Stage 3+ With Single Mass Flywheel

-2-Piece Giro Disc Rotors, With Blue Anodized Hats
Front

-Evolve Sway Bars

-Beefier Axles With Silicone Boots

-Turbo Smart Blow Off Valve

-iPD Billet Lower Torque Mount

-iPD Rear Camber Bushings

-iPD Solid Strut Mount Conversion

-iPD Lowering Springs

-DO88 Aluminum Radiator

-Kaplhenke Delrin Subframe Bushings

Cosmetic-

-T5 Perforated Shift Knob

-Full Factory Body Kit

-Evolve Trunk Spoiler

-Carbon Fiber Roof Spoiler

-Carbon Fiber Mirror Covers

-19" BBS SR Wheels

-Atacama Swap

-IPD Boost Gauge

-LED Boost Gauge Built Into RPM Cluster

-Black Suede Wrapped A,B,C Pillars
SEE HERE

-07+ Dash Vents

-Viva Silver Bezels For Radio + Climate Control

-Under Hood Color Matched

-Hood Vents Graphed Into Top Of Hood

-2 12" Inch Subs With Custom 'R' Box

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Quick review of the Cavalli Turbo
-Very easy to install, minimal modifications were necessary
-The sounds this thing make are absolutely to die for, I have never heard another turbo so vocal before
-Turbo handled 30psi very well but my piston rings are not happy, So stay around 20psi and you will be safe
-It is not water cooled which caught me by surprise but it seems very well designed, and so far have ran into no heat issues or turbo play issues, and I drive my car HARD
-There is turbo lag, but about what a stock turbo would be, it spools up very nicely and just keeps pulling all the way up to 7000 rpm, I generally shift at about 6800 though.

STOCK K24 VS Cavalli

The turbo actually weighs 3lbs lighter than the K24

Uses the stock turbo return line

Comes with a nice stainless steel oil block line

All aluminum cartridge, with ceramic triple ball bearings

Stock downpipe bolts up

You need to plug the coolant lines, this is how I did mine, not the best but it has worked perfect so far.

Only other thing I had to do was grind a little material off the rear motor mount bracket, just enough to make sure there's plenty of clearance for the larger compressor housing, I used a 90 degree carbide bit.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
So many sick little details on this build. Those wheels are sooooo awesome. Also those hood vents...

·
Registered
8,817 Posts

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
You do great work Quinn. I loved your old sonic with the pegs with sonic inlay. I never realized until now that is started as an S60. Also never realized that your black R and the sonic were the same car. Very tasteful cosmetic mods and it looks like you are well on your way with this one.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Nice write-up and setup Quin. I second the comments that your shortblock is on borrowed time, but you certainly pushed the envelope with it! Now you just need to blow those rings or crack the block so you can build it and show the real potential of this turbo. :)

Mine is still screaming, making 24 psi with the shimmed block on 93 octane + methanol injection. I have no blow-by or coolant loss. I feel that the turbo spools very quickly, but there isn't enough exhaust energy to really drive the turbine until around 3500 rpm and then it just pulls like mad until around 7k.

As for the coolant lines, you're better off running a bypass hose from the feed to the return side of the factory hard plumbing that way coolant can still flow it just doesn't go through the turbo. I ran mine that way and would highly recommend adding a heat sleeve to it (which I did) to protect it from the heat of the turbo and exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Just wow Quinn. Well done.

·
Registered
8,817 Posts
cause poor man's non-awd dyno.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Maybe I've missed something painfully obvious... but why is the rear wheel chocked in the dyno video?
FWD dyno.
It'll also give higher readings. It's a good way to approximate horsepower at the crank, it's not comparable to an AWHP reading. The rear wheels use up a lot of power.

·
Registered
218 Posts
FWD dyno.
It'll also give higher readings. It's a good way to approximate horsepower at the crank, it's not comparable to an AWHP reading. The rear wheels use up a lot of power.
That was the only reason I could come up with. Thanks for clarifying.

·
Registered
738 Posts
The old yellows ones were Ronals.
Which ones cause Ronal does not list them on their website and these are my favorite wheels on an R.
They are Ronal LZ 18" right? Do you still have them and would you want to sell them?

·
Registered
594 Posts
like the gauge set up!

1 - 20 of 167 Posts