SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the PCV service at the dealership and they called saying afterwards it wasn't quite as smooth or peppy as it should be. Suggested maybe plugs and a fuel injection flush. Plugs were done 2.5 years ago but only 4K miles, and I'll do those myself, but is a fuel injection flush the "seafoam" type drip service and has anyone had it done at the dealer with beneficial results? It would add another $200 to the service...

TIA for your rapid input.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Sounds to me like either they screwed up the PCV service or they are trying to upsell you.

When you pick it up, take a test drive before you pay. It should drive exactly as before, if not better. If it's worse, they screwed something up. If it's the same as before, pay and go home.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
you can buy a can of seafoam for 7 bucks and put it in your own tank.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fivealive (short circuit reference ??)

This dealers service center has been probably my most impressive experience over the last 10 years or so and a few different states. I drop tidbits here and there about general Volvo knowledge and these guys know what they're talking about and seem like actual Volvo guys (I had one guy at another dealership look at my V70R and say, "those R-type's are nice..." Guess who never got near my "R-type")

I was wondering if they are expecting a much better feel than I already had so the improvement I see they may not. Anyone else feel free to chime in, I have to call them back soon, but I'll update on here what the car is like after I pick it up, possibly in the morning...

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Did they clean the throttle body when you had the PCV done and was easy when everything is apart? (they're supposed to).
If it's dirty that can make it very sluggish and run poorly

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I haven't picked it up yet, but after talking to the service guy he found out that the notes from the mechanic about the lack of pep was from the test drive BEFORE they did the work. Well duh... I had a cracked hose in the PCV line. I passed on the additional service since I will do the plugs (when needed) and I want to see what it feels like put back together.

Jim, yes, they did clean the TB and all the ports that were opened up, the good news was they didn't have to drop the pan to clean out that square "tube" inside. I think injection-wise I'll probably be OK, I run sea foam every 1,500 miles or so and only use 93 gas, I drive this car infrequently (only 4K in the last 2 years) so I figure the 93 and full synthetic is cheap insurance vs having crappy stuff sitting in the car during down periods.

I'll update again when I pick it up.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just wanted to close the loop on this. I skipped the additional service. Picked it up and the the car is still a little rough at idle but 100 times better driving. I pulled and checked all the plugs this morning and they all looked good, 2 of them were around .031 .032 gap which is still reasonable but I set them back down to .028. They all looked OK though, usual wear. I also reset the ECU so we will see how it performs as that sets in. Part of the rough at idle could be that I have added IPD poly mounts to the top engine cross bar, the upper engine mount, and those lower mount inserts. All of those seem to add a little bit of cabin vibration at idle. And I am due for a trans fluid change. I have seafoam trans tune in there now (hopefully cleaning things up a bit) and when I am at idle in N or P vs D it is smoother.

All in all I am happy with the dealer service and the smoothness after the PCV, I have to remind myself that at the end of the day this is still a 10 year old 208HP heavy SUV, not my old R and not my company car (ford escape built on the tiny focus platform with a 240HP engine)... It was never meant to take anybody off the line. Once I do the trans flush and update essentially all suspension parts in the next few weeks, it should feel like new. Looking forward to that, haven't felt side hop over bumps like this since I sold my R... ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts