SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a 08 3.2awd with 80,000 miles. I have read all the tranny flush posts but am unclear on the counter reset. There's 2 different scenarios.

1) I drain and fill all the fluid and get dice to reset the counter. Is it just the counter and not the adaptation data? There is conflicting info on that.

2) I just drain and fill 3qts and do this a few times over a few months to let the computer adapt slowly. Is this correct that the computer continuously adapts? The benefit here is I don't need DICE and its a gentler method on a tranny that has most likely never had a flush.

Thanks for your help. I keep all my cars past 200k and am looking forward to keeping this in top shape for our family car.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
At 80k you should be fine with a full fluid exchange via machine. Have your shop or dealer do that and then you can drain and fill a few quarts every 30k after.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I also keep my cars well past 200k and my 08 currently has 173k on it. I have never done a fluid exchange on it (i don't recommend going this long), but did have the dealer do one drain and fill. That being said, it is still shifting well and as smooth as butter. I plan on doing a fluid exchange this week in my garage and not resetting any counters. At 80k with a flush, you will be fine on both counts. One counter is just miles or start cycles that the fluid has been in the transmission for (lets face it, volvo doesn't care, or they wouldn't say lifetime fluid) and the other is the adaptive. That just resets the transmission back to factory and the transmission learns your driving style with the weight of the fluid. This obviously adjusts over time anyway. In both cases, you will feel some quirks for the first thousand miles or so and that is OK.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I gather is that the adaptation should do just that. I don't think the machine is necessary if I am doing regular changes.

I'm with you and don't really care about a counter if I know that the fluid is fresh. Maybe I'll change 4 liters now and let that adapt for a few months and then do full changes from then on. Is anyone as diligent about the awd gears and clutch boxes fluids??

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
So mine just flipped over 180,000, and I'm pretty sure it has never had a tranny flush because it was dealer "maintained" until I bought it with 155,000. I am now 5k miles away from the 30k of my driving and need to get the fluid replaced. It has started to shift kind of funky and hold gears barely too long in the last 700 miles or so. Not caring about the quirks of the adaptive after the flush, which would be better, a drain & fill or machine flush? A local shop said the chemicals used by the machine to clean the tranny can actually damage it if the fluid is degraded too much. True?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
It's actually the pumping of the fluids at a different pressure through the transmission that causes issues. It can dislodge setiment left over the years.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
So do a drain/fill first, go 30k, then it would be ok to machine? Or never machine flush because of the deposits?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I personally wouldn't machine flush. Just use the internal pumps to move the fluid in and out. Unless, there IS an issue and a flush would be more of a last resort. Itwontstopsnowing did one on his xc90 because it supposedly had a bad valve body. The flush cured the issue.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I was just reading about all the issues. Thanks for the info! Hopefully mine is just bad fluid. Slightly worried now.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I personally wouldn't machine flush. Just use the internal pumps to move the fluid in and out. Unless, there IS an issue and a flush would be more of a last resort. Itwontstopsnowing did one on his xc90 because it supposedly had a bad valve body. The flush cured the issue.
There is a difference between a fluid exchange machine and a flush machine. Nobody uses the flush anymore. The machine just circulates in new fluid under the power of the existing transmission pump. It's just a great and clean way to get it done.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did the 12qt flush and at 80k miles the fluid was almost black. I actually did notice smoother shifting even though I thought it shifted fine before hand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts