SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks, I need some ideas on a phone holder for the car. What do you find that works better, windshield mounted, dash mounted, console mounted, etc. Give me some ideas and why you chose that particular unit. From doing some research, seems like the KINIVO Bluetooth Handsfree kit is the recommended unit for our vehicle, would have liked to have a factory option but that seems like it would cost too much to get installed. The wife asked our local dealer and they said they don't do it for our vehicle but gave her a number to a place that gave her a price of around $400 to install something (I need to call to get some more info), bluetooth module @ TASCA is $226. If it's a factory option and the USB port can be installed, I might consider it. In the meantime, I wanted to pick the brains of our forum members to get some thoughts.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
ProClipUsa.com makes the best mounts, nothing else comes close. Just be prepared to pay for the privilege...

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I've always wondered what would be involved in changing out the steering wheel buttons, and adding the bluetooth module for the phone. I know the radio buttons would be changed as well, but if you're doing a steering wheel swap and a console update (2009+) from a wrecker, it could be done for cheap

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I have the factory system with a Proclip holder for the phone.

The Proclip is what you want. Mine attaches over the left center vent, no rattles and is at the perfect height.

The factory system is a rebranded Motorola system.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the factory system with a Proclip holder for the phone.

The Proclip is what you want. Mine attaches over the left center vent, no rattles and is at the perfect height.

The factory system is a rebranded Motorola system.
Ah, someone in my area! Did your come with the system installed or was it added after?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Ah, someone in my area! Did your come with the system installed or was it added after?
Mine came with the system installed by the dealer.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some cool stuff you guys have recommended. That ProClip system looks great but it is pricey, I like how it is integrated though. Got to see if I can get factory bluetooth in and get a holder for navigation use. Keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wayne, I also have an 07 V8 that I recently purchased with the Premium sound syste. I wanted blue tooth and found this Kinvivo device on Amazon. Love it and so seasy, I keep the mic/receiver hidden in the center console unless I need it for a phone call. Ralph

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Ralph, I have been looking at that unit as well, based on other members experience it looks like a good option. One thing I have been reading in the online reviews is that the system can have noise and callers on the other end will experience echo of their voice, what have been your experience?

It seems the head unit could be swapped out for a newer version that supports BT and has USB however, it seems this will require programming by the dealer. I remember during the 2004-2010 BMW 5 series time, the cars came with the BT module installed and could be activated later. Dealers would say that equipment was required along with programming but the truth of it was the module was in there and the cost for "programming" (software load) was much less once figured out. I've been looking through the parts catalog to find out where it should be located in order to check if the module is already there. Ideally, if the BT hardware is there and all that is required is adding a mic and the phone controls (steering wheel, Motorola kit), that is a route to consider. I'll keep researching this to see what I can learn.

·
Registered
69 Posts
No complaints at all Brian, I love how it works and it was a very inexpensive way to get that capability. BTW, the magnetic holder for the phones I mentioned earlier; I bought 4 for our other cars as well and we both have Galaxy Note 5's with protective cases and the magnet still grips it tightly! Glad I could help, I'm loving my 07 V8... R.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I added the factory Bluetooth to my 07 V8 and the call quality is amazing on both ends. The only thing that was missing was streaming music from the Bluetooth. I went kind of a roundabout way to add the streaming music. First I added the factory USB/iPod module, then I put a 30 pin Bluetooth adapter in the iPod cable. This gave me streaming through the IPod interface while retaining the steering wheel controls for skipping tracks. It even shows the track information on the radio display.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I added the factory Bluetooth to my 07 V8 and the call quality is amazing on both ends. The only thing that was missing was streaming music from the Bluetooth. I went kind of a roundabout way to add the streaming music. First I added the factory USB/iPod module, then I put a 30 pin Bluetooth adapter in the iPod cable. This gave me streaming through the IPod interface while retaining the steering wheel controls for skipping tracks. It even shows the track information on the radio display.
I like this option! What did it cost to get this done?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought the Volvo Bluetooth used from Erie Volvo for $135. I bought the iPod/USB module, wire harness and cable from Tasca.com for about $255. I bought the ViseeO Tunes2Air for streaming bluetooth through the iPod module for $89 from Amazon. I put everything in myself. The iPod/USB install is easy. The bluetooth requires taking a lot more of the interior apart. It's more time consuming, but not too difficult. I did them both at the same time. I almost forgot... I also had to pay the Volvo dealer to install the software to make the two modules work. I think each piece of software is around $35 and it should cost around .5 to 1 hour labor.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info! I'm guessing you didn't do a write up on how to install. When I did the BMW, I had to take the center console a part as the BT receiver was under it, the module was in the trunk, had to take apart the material lining the trunk to get to it. If I know where things are located, that's a good starting point. Any info would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks a lot! It looks a bit involved but certainly doable, good to see where things are located, now to see if I can source some parts at less price than dealer and make this a summer project. Great to know forum members here have done this and have info on it. This should be a write up for anyone else considering this install.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You should still be able to get the wiring harness you need from a Volvo dealer (tasca.com), but the "Brain" of the bluetooth isn't available. I think the factory branded unit was a Motorola T603. You should be able to use a T605 as well which adds streaming music to the bluetooth. The phone uses the telemute app to interface / interrupt into the audio system, but you have to route the music back into the stereo through the 3.5mm aux in jack so you won't have steering wheel controls for skipping or the song displayed on the radio. Motorola also makes a TK30, but I could never figure out if the Volvo harness would work with it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts