SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have the CANUSB serial adapter and am attempting to log the CAN traffic, but am not doing something right in the setup and am wondering if the community has any suggestions.

First, the hardware:
  • 2006 S60R
  • CANUSB adapter wired to OBD-II adapter (correct pins and installation of 120-ohm resister as required for the CANUSB as an end-point node)
  • Raspberry Pi 2 runing Ubuntu 14.04 (CANUSB set up correctly)
  • I've tried setting speed to both 250k (CAN-LOW speed for an '06) and 500k (CAN-HIGH speed) but neither has worked
  • I get a red power light on the CANUSB, but no green lights
  • I'm testing this with the engine off but the ignition in the II position.

Right now I'm taking the CAN-Ground, CAN-LOW and CAN-HIGH from the OBD-II port (I have a OBD-II to DB9 cable wired correctly, verified via multimeter). Now, for my questions:

1. I cannot log *any* CAN traffic. Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong?
2. Ideally I would like to take the CAN signals from the trunk, where the Raspberry Pi will be housed. I've identified the Green wire in the REM as CAN-LOW, but cannot locate CAN-HIGH or CAN-GROUND in the trunk (I don't seem to have an AEM, which others have tapped). Any suggestions?
3. The CANUSB documentation does not state whether the speed settings should be set to CAN-LOW or CAN-HIGH. Any experience/thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,
- scooter

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
I believe the CAN lines on the OBD-II connector will become active only when you send a specific message to the CAN gateway in the CEM. To wire directly into the CAN bus, you'll need to tap into the actual network. On that era R, I believe a lot of people have had success going in via the audio unit in the trunk. That might not have CAN-High though.

Why do you wire it alongside an OBD-II adapter? But, you could perhaps use that unit to enable the gateway fairly easily.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I believe the CAN lines on the OBD-II connector will become active only when you send a specific message to the CAN gateway in the CEM. To wire directly into the CAN bus, you'll need to tap into the actual network. On that era R, I believe a lot of people have had success going in via the audio unit in the trunk. That might not have CAN-High though.

Why do you wire it alongside an OBD-II adapter? But, you could perhaps use that unit to enable the gateway fairly easily.
-04 only fo kline, also there is no gateway just two separate buses 500k on Hs

125k as rkam said on LS (can timing needs calculated if using mc)

Rear back of satnav is LS

1 - 4 of 4 Posts