SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own an IS250 AWD, and looking to replace it with a new car. The S60 t6 is on the short list, along with the A4 quattro and the g37x. My main reasons for replacing teh IS250 AWD:

1. Need a bigger back seat
2. Need a bigger trunk with fold down seat preferrable
3. More power :)

I have some specific questions about the T6:

1. Has anyone installed a rear facing infant seat, and if so, how far forward must I push the front seat. I am 5'10", long in the legs, and push the rear seat almost up to teh B pillar in my IS.

2. Can you seat a second person in the back with an infant seat?

3. How is the turning radius at low speed? I need to make a sharp right when I enter my underground garage, followed by a sharp left. The FWD transverse layout worries me about manoeuvrability.

4. How is long term reliability and repair costs. I don't expect it to compare to my Lexus, but I hope it's above average and not a crapbox like some of the VW fare.

5. Can I fit at least two 17" tires in the trunk?

I really like the back seat room and trunk space in the A4, but I'm turned off by the poor reliability and ridiculously long list of expensive options (i.e. manual passenger seats1). The g37x would have been my preferred choice, but the rear seats don't fold down. It's also a pig on gas.

·
Registered
303 Posts
4. The Safe and Secure program covers pretty much all maintenance (save tires and rotations) for the first 5 years/60,000 miles.

5. Probably and with a little room left, but you won't like the fact that there's no standard spare. You have to purchase it separately.

Here's a pic of the Tempa spare in the trunk of my S60.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Run flats? Yuck... those are expensive to run in winter.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
They are not run flats. They are regular tires. Volvo did not build a spare tire into the below-the-trunk space like you may be used to. A fix-a-flat kit is standard but many users opt for the "Tempa Spare" which is an actual donut spare. When I'm around town, I leave the donut in the garage anyways. It's really only necessary when you're taking a trip where a tow truck may not be so close.

Reliability and ownership costs should be low during the pendency of the factory warranty and Safe and Secure program which covers wear and tear items (including wiper blades and brake pads).

With regards to your third question, the T6 is not FWD. That said the layout does not affect its maneuverability at all. The T6 comes standard with the "Dynamic" chassis which includes as one of its features adjustable steering force.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The T6's AWD system has a front wheel bias.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Run flats, or "self-supporting tires" as Volvo calls them can be ordered with the 17" Njord rims (it's a $750 difference to have the run flats vs regular tires on the Njords). Otherwise, yes, they are most likely going to be regular tires.

If you do plan on keeping the car past the warranty period, it could become quite expensive, but that depends on many factors certainly.

The turning radius is actually not great. It's 39 feet. For comparison, that's on par with a 2012 Toyota Tacoma. However, compared to the Audi A4, it is actually a bit better (the A4 is 41.5ft) but of course quite a bit worse than your IS250 (33 ft).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Run flats are what drove me away from BMW. Noise, harsh ride, and road noise.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just wanted to note:

Safe and Secure is only 5 year/50,000 miles now. Since July of last as (as my saleman told me, got it late june)

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
The g37x would have been my preferred choice, but the rear seats don't fold down.
I'll never understand why a manufacturer would overlook this extremely useful and versatile feature in favor of a 'pass thru' box. Do they really think the only object that one would ever want to transport longer than the depth of a trunk would be skis?

The fold down rear seats plus the front folding front passenger seat was a big selling point for me :thumbup:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll never understand why a manufacturer would overlook this extremely useful and versatile feature in favor of a 'pass thru' box. Do they really think the only object that one would ever want to transport longer than the depth of a trunk would be skis?

The fold down rear seats plus the front folding front passenger seat was a big selling point for me :thumbup:
When the rears are folded down, does the edge of trunk sit flush with the seatbacks?

·
Registered
41 Posts
we had both a rear facing and front facing child seat in at the same time for a few months. manageable with enough room for the driver and front passenger to be comfortable (I'm also 5'10) - even on a 6 hour road trip. you can fit a smaller adult or child between the 2 car seats if you had to but I would not recommend a road trip with that set up.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
we had both a rear facing and front facing child seat in at the same time for a few months. manageable with enough room for the driver and front passenger to be comfortable (I'm also 5'10) - even on a 6 hour road trip. you can fit a smaller adult or child between the 2 car seats if you had to but I would not recommend a road trip with that set up.
Were your child seats the old 22lbs or 30lbs standard, or the newer 40 lbs standard? When rear facing did the the sear touch the front seatback?

I found some good data on the g37, but none of this quality for teh s60:

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2012/02/2012-infiniti-g25-and-g37-sedan-car-seat-check.html

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mr_raider,
When the seats are folded down you still get a little bump in between the trunk and the seatbacks... there is also the sheet metal section that holds the upper part of your seats on the way too. I can barely fit my road bike but I cannot fit my mountain bike in it. Tried the roof racks and f...d up the roof paint. I use my wife's suv when transporting them now.
If I was you I would be taking a look at the XC60 for the extra room... the price and gas mileage difference is not that much.
Other than that the car is fun to drive.
As for the service, I used to get better service from a Nissan dealership than from the Volvo dealerships (at least here in Houston).
Thanks,

T6

·
Registered
41 Posts
I believe 30lbs. If you have a seat take a quick trip to a Volvo dealer and test it - we did and it was adequate space for the amount of time it would be in use. Overall I cross shopped the same cars you are looking at. I cannot speak on the AWD systems (I have the T5) as we do not need them down here in South Florida but I felt the Volvo provided the best bang for the buck for us. We also purchased via the OSD program. For me it came down to Audi vs Volvo and frankly I was surprised by the final result.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone can tell me if Canadian models with DRLs have auto on/off headlights?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Anyone can tell me if Canadian models with DRLs have auto on/off headlights?
With the S60, if the DRL is on, the headlamps and taillamps operate. The only thing "auto" is the dimming of the cluster lamps in the interior. Mine is a US spec however. Sweedish law require headlights on all the time and since Volvo is all for safety, id assume the same, headlamps (not just the markers lights) on. period.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you to everyone for their help. My final decision has come down to the s60. Volvo Canada has a 1600 rebate + 1000$ conquest. There are two cars on the lot that are close to what I like:

Car 1: S60 t6, ice white, black interior, BLIS, nav prep, backup camera.

Car 2: s60 t6, ember black, beechwood interior. BLIS, nav prep

With respect to these choices:

1. Is BLIS useful? Sounds just like something anyone waiting to break down and cost me money out of warranty.

2. Which interior is more durable, black or brown. COnsider that I have a newborn baby coming next month. I really like the beechwood color, but I would rather have the backup camera, instead of paying extra for metallic paint.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'd go with option 2 mainly because of the Beechwood.

BLIS has its pluses and minuses. It can be a tad flaky with false alarms (though I find them to be rare). The bigger plus is folding mirrors. If you have a narrow garage space, they are nice

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd go with option 2 mainly because of the Beechwood.

BLIS has its pluses and minuses. It can be a tad flaky with false alarms (though I find them to be rare). The bigger plus is folding mirrors. If you have a narrow garage space, they are nice
Don't all S60s have folding mirrors?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Don't all S60s have folding mirrors?
In US market, BLIS includes power folding mirrors. You press both the mirror adjust
buttons and they fold in our out. You can also set them to fold in and out when
you stop and start the car, etc.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts