SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been a longtime lurker on these boards as we searched for a used 2009 C70. Found one and picking it up today...one owner, pristine exterior/interior visually, 13K miles. Only a couple issues to get fixed, and I'd love some advice/guidance on them before we take it to the shop:

- shimmy/vibration over 40mph...we assume this is tire related. Just got alignment, but it has the original 18" MIRZAM Alloy Wheels and Pirelli tires. Several rims with wear, and one with a mall dent. From what I read online, others ave had issues with the Mirzams and tires. Any advice on what to replace them with for a smoother ride?

- heated seats don't get very hot...is this a Volvo thing to just be slightly warm or more likely a short fuse?

- good source for after market parts? We need to replace two headlight covers with cracks, and possiby an aluminum center console.

Thanks!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Welcome
re: the shimmy -- did you also balance the wheels when you did an alignment? If not I would try that first before shelling out more $$$ for new tires.
re: heated seats -- the ones on my 2011 get quite hot on the "high" setting but my wife loves it, so I suspect there may be something wrong
re: aftermarket parts -- I prefer OEM and there are various good sources online (Boston Volvo, Tasca, Palisades), so I can't really comment on aftermarket parts. I'd be surprised if you can find an aftermarket center console, but headlight assemblies are probably available (?). I've had a mixed experience with aftermarket parts, but only for past hondas & toyotas.

best of luck and happy top down motoring

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'd get the rims checked for bends or dents, especially with the 18s. I had a slight shimmy on mine with 17" rims. Found the slightest of a dent on the inside of one of the front rims. They spun it on the machine and showed me the shimmy. It couldn't be balanced out so they moved it to the back where I don't feel it for now until I get it fixed.

I find the seats don't get very hot on my '08 as well, but it makes them more comfortable for extended periods.

I've ordered a bunch of OEM parts from the various internet sites. I can't recommend one over the other as they were all fine. All I did was search the part # on google and see who had the best prices. The two I've used the most are myvolvopartsonline.com and discountvolvoparts.com. Also check out www.erievovo.com for used parts.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I really don't see the point in 18" wheels on the C70; but I would only change them IF you found they were the source of the problem(as the other rick said...dents, bends, etc). Our '08 was still smooth as glass when we traded with 30K on the original wheels and tires(except for one warped rotor that was replaced immediately).

I might be a little concerned about 'wheel wear and a (s)mall dent' on a vehicle with only 13K miles...did a little 'off-roading'. did they? :)

Did you swap the wheels around when you got the alignment(or before/after)? As rick said, moving the offending wheel/tire(if that's the case) to the right rear would possibly minimize the effect on the ride.

Good luck...a Gen 2 C70 should ride like 'butta', given the cushy set-up from the factory.

Also, if you have warranty coverage left(was 4/48 I believe?), you might want the dealer to get involved in case it's not wheel/tire/alignment related...just a thought.;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have an '08 XC90, not a C70. It is my understanding (at least with the XC90 and all Volvo heated seats should be the same), and I could be wrong (as my wife is quick to say), there are three settings; low, med, & high. Only two can be used at one time and yours may be set on the low-med settings. The dealer must do a reprogram in order to move to the med-high settings. Of course they will charge you for their minimum one hour rate so if you decide to spend the money you could also have other changes as you desire; daytime running lights off, lights flash only (no horn) when locking, CNX the auto lock when moving off, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts