SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere:

I live in a condo building with no access to a charger in my parking spot. Is this a serious problem for owning a T8? My average commute is very small (maybe 10 km's daily) and I really have no idea how long a full charge would last in hybrid mode and how often I'd have to charge if driving normally /doing the 50km/hour speedlimit for my commute? Fortunately there are a lot of municipal charging stations throughout my city.

Secondly, how well will the T8 do on large road trips? If I plan to hit a ski mountain some 300km's away for example -- can I expect the battery to supplement power for the whole ride or will it conk out early?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,832 Posts

I live in a condo building with no access to a charger in my parking spot. Is this a serious problem for owning a T8? No. My average commute is very small (maybe 10 km's daily) and I really have no idea how long a full charge would last in hybrid mode and how often I'd have to charge if driving normally /doing the 50km/hour speedlimit for my commute? Fortunately there are a lot of municipal charging stations throughout my city.

Secondly, how well will the T8 do on large road trips? Reportedly ~ 400 miles If I plan to hit a ski mountain some 300km's away for example -- can I expect the battery to supplement power for the whole ride or will it conk out early? It will be less efficient but will not "conk out".

Thanks,
My source has been through the Know Your Volvo which says "You’re not required to charge your vehicle; it will function fully without charging, although it will be less fuel-efficient.

It’s best to charge your vehicle regularly. Starting each trip with a full charge will give you optimum fuel economy."

It has been covered somewhat on other threads, too. Conradi and other T8 owners will have real world experience. In my case, I will fully charge at home and not at work. You might be the opposite of my scenario. Seventy percent of my driving is local so I expect to be in hybrid mode the vast majority of time which means + 25 mpg (I.e., 50 mpg, not +2 or 25 mpg).

·
Registered
4,289 Posts

I live in a condo building with no access to a charger in my parking spot. Is this a serious problem for owning a T8? My average commute is very small (maybe 10 km's daily) and I really have no idea how long a full charge would last in hybrid mode and how often I'd have to charge if driving normally /doing the 50km/hour speedlimit for my commute? Fortunately there are a lot of municipal charging stations throughout my city.

Secondly, how well will the T8 do on large road trips? If I plan to hit a ski mountain some 300km's away for example -- can I expect the battery to supplement power for the whole ride or will it conk out early?

Thanks,
The gas only EPA mpg for T8 is 24/27/25. It is better than T6 in city/hwy/combined. This can give you some idea on long trips.

You don't need to charge it at all if you can't. After full charge it can go around 14 miles on battery. And of course every recharge save you some gas cost.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
At a base price difference of roughly $18k, you'd need to drive a LOT of miles to make the 2 mpg gain worth the investment.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
At a base price difference of roughly $18k, you'd need to drive a LOT of miles to make the 2 mpg gain worth the investment.
Nobody was talking about recovering the price difference. :) Every T8 driver should try some fast acceleration and enjoy the moment, not always drive slowly for purpose of saving gas.
But have some background data about mpg and recharging of course is helpful and assuring.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
In Canada the price difference between T6 and T8 is much lower! T6 Inscription starts $67,450 vs T8 Inscription $75,750. Plus here in Ontario we get $6,300 rebate so difference is only $2,000 after rebate :p

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Nobody was talking about recovering the price difference. :) Every T8 driver should try some fast acceleration and enjoy the moment, not always drive slowly for purpose of saving gas.
But have some background data about mpg and recharging of course is helpful and assuring.
How often will you enjoy the fast acceleration if you're not charging the vehicle daily?

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
How often will you enjoy the fast acceleration if you're not charging the vehicle daily?
Everyday :D But I will charge it daily.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
It depends on how much chance of energy regeneration you have on the road. Such as after many braking and go traffic, coasting down from a higher to a lower elevation road. Or you use Save mode intentionally.

·
Registered
535 Posts

I live in a condo building with no access to a charger in my parking spot. Is this a serious problem for owning a T8?
No, I know T8 owners never charging their vehicle...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts