SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My original plan has been to wait until MY2013 came out and then do an OSD trip in August. I liked the option of having greater choice in how I could "build" my own car. And the trip to Sweden was very appealing. But, I am realizing with our changing lifestyle we need the car sooner, rather than later, and I am revisiting options already here.

There is a 2011.5 (with Sensus) Flamenco red ( the color I wanted) at a dealer near me. A few hundred miles on it from being transferred between their different locations, but basically otherwise still "new". Am looking for input on how those of you with 2011.5 MY XC60s like them, and what changes have occurred in the car since then that I might regret later.

Also, plan B, I know the 2012s are going to be unavailable soon. If i did order ( as opposed to OSD) a MY2013 as soon as they are available, what would likely be the earliest delivery date here in the US? Hoping for more color choices in MY213, and or other advances in the car. Would it be around the same time (August) as when I could pick up the OSD car, or do some of the factories start making them before the Gothenburg factory closes down?

So here I sit, on the fence. :)

thanks!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi there. I was in the exact same mind set a few weeks ago. I haven't seen any announcements for what changes,if any, the 2013 will have. When I was going thru the process I was told not to expect a 2013 OSD car in my driveway before OCTOBER 2012. And that was assuming that I got my order in pretty much immediately after ordering opened up for them.

I ended up getting a very slightly used CPO 2011.5 R-design with sensus etc and have been happy. There are some things that the 2012 has that are not on my car.

1) the 2012 trunk opens 2 times as fast as the 2011.5. That is because the 2012 has a different motor setup etc for its trunk release mechanism. I must admit that the trunk on the 2011.5 is pretty darn slow to open. About 8-9 sec to open and about 4-5 to close.

2) on the 2012 in the "0" position the bright lights can be full locked on. On the 2011.5 you cannot lock on the brights in the "0" position. I haven't figured out if this is a software update that can be applied to the 2011.5.

3) the top of the line r-design for 2012 comes with 325HP stock. The 2011.5 r-design comes with 300HP stock. You CAN have the Polestar software added to the 2011.5 to make the output the same as the top model 2012. That is what I did. :)

Everything else is pretty much identical. Engines, sensus, options etc.

In the end, the savings of picking up the 2011.5 for us was the biggest decision maker for me to overlook item #1 above. We found the exact combination we would have ordered if we were to do OSD. We plan on doing OSD for our next Volvo. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the end, the savings o picking up the 2011.5 for us was the biggest decision maker for me to overlook item #1 above. We found the exact combination we would have ordered of we were to do OSD. We plan on doing OSD for our next Volvo. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the specifics, What is CPO? I think the hatch would be the only thing that would bother me, but as you said, I could probably live with it if the savings were good enough.

Would you mind sharing how much you saved? I would be getting a decked out 3.2 so less expensive to begin with, but about how much off MSRP did you save?

Thanks

·
Registered
837 Posts
CPO is certified pre-owned. That is actually a huge deal in my opinion. You get the best of both worlds with a car as new as 2011 as I assume the original warranty covers you for 5/60 (now 5/50 I believe) and then you get the extra year and are covered under the CPO warranty up to 100K miles. Most folks drive closer to 15K miles per year so they run out of mileage on their warranty before time...making the extra miles under CPO a big deal. If you only drive 10 or 12K a year it isn't quite as compelling. Finally, CPO cars are easier to resell (especially for the more problem prone European makes).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it. Unfortunately (after reading what you just wrote) I think this car is still considered new. Never been sold. Leftover from last year, so the additional advantages probably won't apply. But at least I can say 'one owner" if I sell it. LOL!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Got it. Unfortunately (after reading what you just wrote) I think this car is still considered new. Never been sold. Leftover from last year, so the additional advantages probably won't apply. But at least I can say 'one owner" if I sell it. LOL!
What is/are the warranty/Safe and Secure terms? That free scheduled maintenance can be worth quite a bit over time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like it is 5 year everything. No mention of mileage but I'll be sure and ask when I see it next week.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Looks like it is 5 year everything. No mention of mileage but I'll be sure and ask when I see it next week.
MY11s get 5 years or 50,000 miles of Safe+Secure coverage.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Hi,

There is a 2011.5 (with Sensus) Flamenco red ( the color I wanted) at a dealer near me. A few hundred miles on it from being transferred between their different locations, but basically otherwise still "new". Am looking for input on how those of you with 2011.5 MY XC60s like them, and what changes have occurred in the car since then that I might regret later.

So here I sit, on the fence. :)

thanks!
MY11s get 5 years or 50,000 miles of Safe+Secure coverage.
Used to be, this vehicle would likely NOT have been put 'in service'; however, that seems to have changed in the past few years. Demos, loaners and 'executive' vehicles I've looked at were all 'in service' as of the date they hit the road. Even with only a few hundred miles on the clock, an in-service date a year ago(+?-) will impact the coverage of the warranty. Just be careful to ask about that date. If the vehicle was simply transferred from one dealer to another, perhaps it was never put 'in service'...but make sure all that is clear.

GV, should they ask for 60K coverage? That 52.5K service that would be worth a couple hundred bucks, anyway.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is good to know ! thanks for the heads up. will be sure and ask about the in service date. And about adding another 10k to the service. I never thought about asking for that. This is why I love this board! Sooooooooo helpful.

thanks!

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Used to be, this vehicle would likely NOT have been put 'in service'; however, that seems to have changed in the past few years. Demos, loaners and 'executive' vehicles I've looked at were all 'in service' as of the date they hit the road. Even with only a few hundred miles on the clock, an in-service date a year ago(+?-) will impact the coverage of the warranty. Just be careful to ask about that date. If the vehicle was simply transferred from one dealer to another, perhaps it was never put 'in service'...but make sure all that is clear.
Not necessarily; a car with a few hundred miles probably got those from moving it from one store to another. It does not mean that it was registered as a demo, loaner or whatever.

GV, should they ask for 60K coverage? That 52.5K service that would be worth a couple hundred bucks, anyway.
I cannot comment on what they should and should not ask. This car will have Safe+Secure for 5/50? Anything else is optional.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts