SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove a couple yesterday, the saleperson was perplexingly unhelpful. Starting with telling me that the S60 for '13 is FWD, only. :cool:

1. Is there a Sport mode for the tranny? I was told no. If yes, how is it accessed?

2. Does the tranny adapt to driving style? The cars I drove were very polite in their shifting, even under full throttle.

3. Is there really a difference in the suspension depending on 17" or 18" wheels? If so, what is different, shocks, springs, bushings, etc? The General Manager said she had no info that this was true.

4. The motor doesn't seen to pull as hard as my stage 1 '96 854t. Anybody else have any feedback?

Thanks much.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Wow... get another dealer. Of course the only FWD model is the standard T5 (though AWD IS an option for the 2013 Model Year) The T6 and the T6 R-Design come with AWD as standard.

The Sport Mode speeds up shifts by .2 of a second and is programmed to hold gears longer and is accessed by placing the shifter over to the side while in "D" into manual mode.

There are two suspension set ups, there is Touring, which is a softer setting (T5s come standard with it) and Dynamic (optional on the T5s, standard on the T6) which is a slightly more aggressive set up. The touring setting is a no cost option on the T6 and the Dynamic suspension set up is optional on the T5 and comes included in the Dynamic Package (or basically, the one with the 18 inch rims is Dynamic and the 17 inch rims are Touring).

As for the engine I don't understand, the T5 has 250 HP/266 lb-ft (on overboost it has 295 lb-ft) I doubt that a stage 1 turbo could really make up the power difference and the lack of 2 gears, oh well.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
This thread has a lot of info:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?177858-2013-Volvo-S60-What-s-New-Summary

For the T5 the 2013 is slightly faster than a 2012 T5. But you can't get 2013 with the Dynamic suspension (2013 limits
that availability to the t6). But 2013 T5 also has AWD available. A 2103 T5 AWD strikes me as a pretty nice car.

I doubt you will see any after-market tunes since it does put out a lot of torque with the overboost mode. It would
be hard for a tune to add much to that (I would think).

The newer cars don't "hit" like the older ones did when boost came on. (I had a 98 T5M with an IPD
stage one tune.) It's all about linear torque through the power band now. So they are actually
quite quick but you don't get the "light switch on" power band effect like the older cars did.

For the T6 I'd think a 2012 or 2013 are similar enough to go based on the deal you get.

The Haldex system used in AWD models gets a revision for 2013, too. It's lighter but performance
wise, I think not much different. I would not pick a 2013 T6 over a 2012 T6 based on the Haldex
system used.

If you want a tune, the polestar tune for the T6 is currently about it.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
To access sport mode on the '12, push the lever to the right. On the '13 pull the lever toward you. The transmission does adapt to driving style.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all for the concise replies.

How does the touring suspension differ from dynamic? Springs, shocks, etc? That is, could a touring car be upgraded after the fact?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Yes, touring can be upgraded.

Dynamic has revised struts and shocks and stiffer springs then touring. But ride height is not lowered.
Dynamic is standard on T6. Mine has a pretty firm ride. Equal to my S70 with H&R springs and
fresh stock shocks. Good news is you can easily test drive the combos.

R-design has same front struts as dynamic but has different rear shocks. R-design springs are stiffer
then dynamic and lower the car 15mm. I'm not sure if the springs are only lowered on the front for
r-design.

But all those parts are interchangeable so you can upgrade. Some R-Design XC-60 owners have
put touring suspension on their XCs finding stock R-design too stiff. Different crowd than S60 owners
(I suspect)

There are also aftermarket springs that drop it by 30mm. You can use the after market
springs with the shocks/struts from Dynamic but would probably need to upgrade the
shocks/struts from Touring if you went with a 30mm drop (this from some posts
by George/Viva who carries the aftermarket springs and other parts).

IPD also has a stiffer rear roll bar and beefer/stiffer rear end links for the roll bar. No front
roll bar from the after-market.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts