SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you poor outer tread-wear? I have noticed that after about 8K miles with them that I am getting lots of chunking/feathering towards the outer tread of the tire. I do drive the car hard some of the time, but I didn't think that the wear on the outside blocks would be this bad on an all-season tire with a 400 treadwear rating.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Question to anyone with Michelin PS A/S... (Vipergtsz3)

My PS A/S have the outer edges showing the most wear, however I wouldn't say that it was premature.

I cannot tell you how many miles are on my tires, as I purchased the car used with 26,700 miles on it and the tires were already on it. Figure that that had at least 6,000 miles on them, maybe more as the car was from NH.

I now have 40,000 miles on the car, so say that the tires have at least 20k on them.

My outer edges are worn, but not to the wear bars yet.

Also, I have posted previously that I have an unusual wear pattern on the tires where the center and extreme outer edge is worn more than the section between them. When I picked up my car it was running psi's in the low 40's and had been nitrogen filled, so I have to believe someone ran the car with too much psi, leading to the strange wear pattern.

Taking that overinflation into consideration, I wouldn't say that I would expect the outer edges to be worn down at 8,000 miles.

BTW, my wear patterns are even. There is no feathering or chunking. Sounds like your toe is screwed up. Did you get it aligned when you had the new tires put on?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Question to anyone with Michelin PS A/S... (needsdecaf)

5000 miles.
No abnormal tire wear. Just rotated

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Question to anyone with Michelin PS A/S... (needsdecaf)

Not sure what the problem is. I had the wheels aligned when they were put on, and again at 5K miles after that. I guess I should just start taking corners much slower from now on. Or I could start another new tire fund.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

Try taking it to another alignment shop. I mean, I'm not playing Mario Andretti out there but we both drive the car, uh, spiritedly and they're still holding up.

I'd go back to where you bought them and say WTF? They'll probably accuse you of tracking it, though.

·
Registered
207 Posts

I just put on a set of the Pilots. When I was researching them, I read that part of what makes these all-seasons perform well is that there is actually two kinds of rubber bonded on the tire. It isn't one rubber type that does OK across all temps. My understanding of it is that the outside of the tire is like a summer tire, and the inside designed for the rest of the road conditions. This might help explain why you are getting uneven wear.

For more info, check out the overview on Tire Rack http://www.tirerack.com/tires/...A%2FS and the Michelin website for an explanation of their c3m process http://www.michelinman.com/dif....html

Modified by Filson at 1:44 PM 7-18-2006

1 - 6 of 6 Posts