SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2005 s40 with stock 16" wheel and would like to upgrade to the 18" Volvo Medusa wheels. I have a couple of questions for those of you that have done this in the past. Number one, did you go with the 215-45-18 tires or the 235-40-18? How is the gap? I would rather not have to lower the car. <br>Secondly, on the Volvo website it states that you should have a steering limiter installed as well as a software download, if you upgrade from the 16" to the 18". Is this a must? If so, can anyone provide an estamated cost to have this done? Your help is appreciated.<p>eshox in the Valley of the Sun.....

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Re: Question regarding upgrading from 16" to 18" on s40 (eshox)

I've upgraded from the stock 16 x 6,5 205 55 16 to 18 x 8 235 40 18 , with 1.3 " Heico springs. I wouldn't do this without lowering. the reduced profile will really show if you don't lower it. steering limiters aren't neccesary.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Re: Question regarding upgrading from 16" to 18" on s40 (V50_T5)

i've upgraded from my 16" to the Heico Volution V wheels w/ 225/40R18 tires and i didn't need to install any steering limiters or roll the fenders. i haven't experienced any rubbing issues yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Question regarding upgrading from 16" to 18" on s40 (smartytai)

Smarty, did you lower your s40?

·
Registered
7,600 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>eshox</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I currently have a 2005 s40 with stock 16" wheel and would like to upgrade to the 18" Volvo Medusa wheels. I have a couple of questions for those of you that have done this in the past. Number one, did you go with the 215-45-18 tires or the 235-40-18? How is the gap? I would rather not have to lower the car. <br>Secondly, on the Volvo website it states that you should have a steering limiter installed as well as a software download, if you upgrade from the 16" to the 18". Is this a must? If so, can anyone provide an estamated cost to have this done? Your help is appreciated.<p>eshox in the Valley of the Sun.....</TD></TR></TABLE><p>If you search on medusa, medea, limiter etc etc you'll find a number of past discussions on both the need for the limiters, bump stops and software (consensus is they're not required; Volvo disagrees) as well as lots of info on tire sizes.<p>UKMatt

·
Registered
386 Posts

The main reason I can think of what Volvo says they need to change the software with the Medusa/Medea is that they go to a different overall diameter with 215/45/18. This is different in diameter than 205/50/17. Contrast that with 225/40/18, which is pretty much the same diamater as the stock. When diameter changes, so too does the computer's calculation of miles, miles per gallon, etc. So with 225/40/18, seemingly you would not need a software change.<p>Why does Volvo use 215/45/18 instead of 225/40/18? They chose a 18x7.5 wheel with the precise 52.5 mm offset match to the stock 16 and 17 inch wheels. I BELIEVE the standard tire for 18x7.5 is 215/45/18, although I'm not 100 % sure. Thus the need for software since the diameter changes.<p>With most 18 inch aftermarket wheels, people go with 8 or 8.5 inch wide and usually 225/40/18 (although some like 235 wide). 225/40/18 will match the stock diameter so software changes are not needed seemingly. From what I can tell, there are no fitment issues with 225/40/18 on 18x8 or 18x8.5 for offsets from around 42 mm to 52.5 mm.<p>My own tires are 225/45/17 on 17x7.5 wheels with 45m off offset. Tirerack told me that 225/45/17 bulges out a bit MORE than 225/45/18 on 18x8 because there is more sidewall so there is more bulge. So if mine fits (which it does), then 225/40/18 should fit.<p>I should add that if you go with Medusa or Medea from Volvo, then it's only 7.5 inches wide. Stuffing more width on (225 or 235) might be a bit of diminishing returns because it will squeeze the tire more. Wider tires CAN fit, and people do it. From what I can tell, there is SLIGHT benefit generally going with wider wheels and narrow tire for that wheel. The advantage of Medea/Medusa is they are superstrong, well designed Volvo wheels that match the 52.5 mm offset exactly. And they look good. Disadvantage is they are not as good of a bet for wider tires in my opinion as 18x8 or 18x8.5 wheels.<p>As UKMatt says, there are a lot of other postings on this sort of topic too.<p>Bassman<p>

·
Registered
233 Posts
Re: (_.braveheart._)

I have put on 18x8 Bbs CV w/ 225/40/18 tires on, and I think it looks fine without lowering, but obviously better with a slight drop. Overall I'm very pleased with the result but somewhat regret doing this because it kills the acceleration and gas mileage since i didn't get the turbo version. None of the less handling and comfort and looks have been better than ever ! And I don't think there's a need to reset the programings unless you're going for bigger tires.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Re: (al820)

IMO , for acceleration a forged 17 x 7 with a 205 50 17 might be the best way to go. in the looks department , 18s IMO look better, and the bigger the better . it's really a comprimize between looks and performance. a guess a forged 16 even , might be better for straight line, but 17 in the corners. I'm staying with 18s (even if they are slower)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Re: (V50_T5)

I just ordered a set of Medusa rims and I'm considering Pirelli PZero Nero M&S 215/40WR18 tires. Do any of you have them on your cars? I did a search but couldn't find anything. The reason I'm considering these is because according to Tireracks website the diameter is only one tenth of an inch different from the 16s that came on my car. I figure that this way I won't need the software upgrade for the speedometer. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Re: (ElectricSilverT5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>ElectricSilverT5</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just ordered a set of Medusa rims and I'm considering Pirelli PZero Nero M&S 215/40WR18 tires. Do any of you have them on your cars? I did a search but couldn't find anything. The reason I'm considering these is because according to Tireracks website the diameter is only one tenth of an inch different from the 16s that came on my car. I figure that this way I won't need the software upgrade for the speedometer. Any thoughts? </TD></TR></TABLE><p>I have 18" Medeas and went with 225/40-18, which is the exact diameter of the 205/55-16 tires and 205/50-17 on S40's. I looked at Pzero Nero all seasons as well but the load rating was too low at 88W. I ended up with Michelin PS2 tires with a 92Y load rating. The load rating should be at least 91, as that's the lowest load rating that S40's are equipped with, which are the 16" Energy MXV4 S8's.

·
Registered
4 Posts

You shouldnt go wider than 225 on 7,5inch rims. Lots of better looking and cheeper 8x18 rims out there.....

·
Registered
232 Posts

I went with 225/40/18s on the Medusas and have been very happy.<p>just posted some new pics here:<p><A HREF="http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=60324" TARGET="_blank">http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=60324</A>

·
Registered
280 Posts
Re: Question regarding upgrading from 16" to 18" on s40 (surfer_bill)

Thanks for your responses. I didn't think about the load rating. I guess I'll keep looking around.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts