SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Question regarding chip tuning box

8K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Mr. P 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has installed any of those?? how it goes?? are they really good?? Can you feel the performance increase? By the way, how do you measure if there is a power increase? I mean other than driving the car and feeling it?? Is there an electronic or computer way to measure those increase? such as the KW increase or hp?

#2 ·
If you mean Piggyback ECU, the Volvo cars just uses Ecu reprogramming and off you go and you'll get to feel it immediately.
Measurement can be done via iPhone with related apps to measure your 0-60mph, quarter mile so you know your timing has come down.
For bhp improvement, there are gadgets on the market you can purchase to measure bhp.

#4 ·
Thanks for the tip...I dont have iphone (hate them), but I do have android and there is an app can measure the speed (not sure how accurate are they using the GPS??) Anyway, I just want to see if there is any improvement, so I guess it will just do the job.

#3 ·
If you're talking about the $5 boxes you get on eBay, don't do it. They "work" by just fooling the intake air temperature sensor into thinking there is colder air. They don't work, they are dangerous, and they can damage your engine.

if you want to get a chiptune, get it done the right way. ARD / IPD / Viva do chiptunes. Expect to pay about $800 for it.

#5 ·
If you're talking about the $5 boxes you get on eBay, don't do it. They "work" by just fooling the intake air temperature sensor into thinking there is colder air. They don't work, they are dangerous, and they can damage your engine.

if you want to get a chiptune, get it done the right way. ARD / IPD / Viva do chiptunes. Expect to pay about $800 for it.
$5 on ebay?? are you sure they are that cheap??? think even the cheapest chip cost around 70 pound. $800 may be a little too much, but what I am thinking is the speed hawk tuning box from the following link: http://www.bhpplus.co.uk/blog/32/speedhawk-tuning-box-vs-cheaper-options
It seem pretty good and German made. PLUS it has that nice remote too =) They are only around $350 pound...I think most of the brand name is also around this price range.

#7 ·
Problem with reprogramming (like some of the REMAP) is that they can be detected by the Volvo service guys. I DO NOT want to risk getting my warranty VOID! Also I have to reprogram to default every time I have to put my car for service. With the tune box, I can always remove it (it's easy anyway, just plug and play).

#11 ·
The dealer CAN detect and find out that your ECU was reprogrammed if they wanted to but most do not. This is something they have to be specifically looking for to be able to know you have reprogrammed the ECU.

What I mean by the wiring harness is, that "chiptuning box" has to plug into something. It's not a box that you just put on your dash and it magically makes extra horsepower. You have to plug something into it. This is a lot more obvious and easy to see than a ECU reprogramming. All the dealer has to do is open your hood and see the wires that are running all over the place. They probably won't void your warranty outright, but they may very well refuse to service related repairs for free under warranty.

#12 ·
The chips do some things that can and most likely do increase power but sometimes at an increased need for more octane. Rather than install something that requires you to have your foot in it all the way in order to "feel" the added power, you might consider something like a Remus exhaust system. I had one on our 2004 XC90 AWD 2.5 for basically 135,000 miles, and when we traded it in I had the original exhaust put back on and I have to tell you, I could feel the difference right there and then. You can hear a lot of claims about power for this and that, even cough cough air filters will claim to give you more power, but the free flow Remus I had really did a nice job. It was there at all rpm, all the time, and it sounded nice too, saved some fuel perhaps, cost less than a chip.

:cool:

P

#13 ·
The chips do some things that can and most likely do increase power but sometimes at an increased need for more octane. Rather than install something that requires you to have your foot in it all the way in order to "feel" the added power, you might consider something like a Remus exhaust system. I had one on our 2004 XC90 AWD 2.5 for basically 135,000 miles, and when we traded it in I had the original exhaust put back on and I have to tell you, I could feel the difference right there and then. You can hear a lot of claims about power for this and that, even cough cough air filters will claim to give you more power, but the free flow Remus I had really did a nice job. It was there at all rpm, all the time, and it sounded nice too, saved some fuel perhaps, cost less than a chip.

:cool:

P
Thanks, that's nice to hear some other alternatives to add more power especially to the initial jump start of my D5 engine. Just a thought though, the 2012 R-Design already has a nice quad exhaust system, so I dont think the Remus will give much added boost?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.