SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While researching vehicles, I noticed that matrix headlights are part of the advanced package under the active bending lights feature (there's a video demonstration included). I haven't been able to find anything about the NHTSA approving these yet. I know Audi has included the equipment on their cars and only a software upgrade is needed once they are approved. Does anyone know if these are actually available?

·
Registered
89 Posts
NHSTA has not approved matrix headlights yet.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I believe the headlights themselves on the advance package, are the matrix headlights, but some features of them, other than active bending, have been disabled in software. I guess this lets Volvo use the same basic parts in euro and US Spec, and possibly once they might approved by NHTSA/DOT, they could enable those features with a software update. I'm just slumming it with the base LEDs lol.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder why they would include this on the US build site if it isn't actually available? This is the wording directly from the website:

Our most advanced LED headlights continuously adapt the light pattern to provide exceptional illumination, optimizing your visibility and helping you see around corners – all without causing glare to other road users. As you steer, the headlights turn to illuminate the curve ahead. LED illumination allows you to enjoy high beam illumination with even greater radiation and range. And you can stay on high beams all the time – when you meet or approach another vehicle, the headlights shade out only as much of your beam as needed to prevent glare to the other driver. The greater illuminated area also benefits other road users, such as pedestrians and cyclists. The headlights are intelligent too: the high beam shuts off when you enter a city, but if you drive past an illuminated sign it stays on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts