SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a couple of reviews lately of the T6 with the Polestar upgrade in which they indicate that it was difficult to obtain "smooth" low speed driveability in daily driving situations due to the "eagerness" of the increased HP/torque in the upgrade.

I did not notice that issue when I test drove an R Design, but of course, that was for a short time and not in daily driving situations. I'm interested in what folks here think who have had the upgrade for awhile.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I only find these cars to be "jumpy" in gear 1 and only if in manual or sport mode. But nothing that you cannot get used to.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Yannis. That's what I hoped. Can't wait until next month (see below on my signature).

Anybody else?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I updated about 3 weeks ago. I pretty quickly became used to it. It actually
feels less "jumpy" then the previous sport mode settings (although that could be me
getting used to it). Also, it feels as if there is no throttle mapping difference between sport
and non-sport mode now (that I can tell). Sport mode just changes shift points and of course
enables manual shifting. Previously, if I was cruising on the freeway at, say 65, and shifted
to sport mode the car would speed up a bit unless I backed off the throttle. Now the speed
remains the same and I don't get that "jump" shifting into sport mode.

>>I did not notice that issue when I test drove an R Design, but of course, that was for a short time and not in daily driving situations. I'm interested in what folks here think who have had the >>upgrade for awhile.

I actually did notice and even embarrassed myself trying to turn an r-design around in a parking lot.
I would not have that issue now with some time under my belt.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The throttle can be very touchy when first starting from a stop. You quickly learn to baby it if you want a smooth start, but that's about as touchy as it gets. It's fine once you get moving.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think my car is very drivable at low speeds. In D, a light foot on the throttle gets the car moving at a very modest rate...not too fast, but still very effortless. That's one of the things I love about the T6 compared to the T5...power is plentiful so it never feels like the engine had a huge load on it, but it's never hard for me to keep it tame when I want to do some laid back cruising...

On the other hand, when I want to let all the ponies loose the sport mode is awesome. When I want to pass someone in the highway without having to floor the pedal, I shift it into S and the tranny tends to downshift a gear and become more responsive.

By far, one of the most drivable cars I've ever had :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. Much appreciated! Can't wait to see how "my beast" does with the little dose of electronic encouragement!

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
I think it may just be the change in power that takes some getting used to. Going from my S70 to my R, I experienced this. Going from the R to R design, I was used to the power and it felt normal.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Isn't the throttle response also adaptive to your driving style, so that the car will get used to you?

·
Registered
97 Posts
As far as what I've read, it is, which should help with the drivability too I guess...boy do I feel bad for my car...I don't really have a consistent driving style, so I'm sure it gets frustrated in that little cars brain sometimes :)

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Administrator
55,932 Posts
I am finding the T5 AWD in Sport mode to be more "jumpy" off the line than our 2011 T6 with the Polestar tune at partial throttle. Starting out in D in both vehicles is much smoother than Sport mode. My son complained the other day when I pulled out in Sport, said it hurt his neck :( it is a tad snappy with partial throttle and attempting to pull out "normal." If you drive hard off the line in with both cars, the hole shot is strong but it is a smoother experience rather than trying to drive efficiently in Sport from a stop. Hope that makes sense.

If in city traffic or stop and go, I'll switch back to D.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Granted my T6 is new, but the difference between D and S is monstrous. In S mode, smooth urban driving is almost impossible unless I feather the throttle. In D mode, it is very aggressivelly tuned for fuel economy, and the car almost feels slow unless I really nail the pedal. I'm guessing with time it will get better. On the highway though, S mode rocks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts