SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question on KYB shocks

Quick question on KYB Gas-a-just shocks. When they come fresh out of the package should they be really hard to compress/move up and down on their travel? <p>The manual that came with them shows mounting them in a vice and then extending them, but I've never had a shock that was that hard to move.<p>What do you think?

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Question on KYB shocks (tdskip)

Yes, very stiff and dangerous, too.<p>Be very careful about squeezing the shock in a vice - even the slightest distortion can cause problems.<p>When ready to install bring them out to full extension and mount the tops first (car safely elevated!). Using a secondary jack and with all threaded/finished surfaces protected compress each shock slightly more than needed to clear the lower mount then maneuver the shock into place. You may need to shape a strong piece of wood as a tool. Be sure to observe all torque settings.<p>Are all other suspension components in good shape?<p>George Dill<p>

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Question on KYB shocks (gdill2)

Wow - good to know. Thanks.<p>I'm planning on rebuilding the entire suspension, new poly bushings etc.<p>Any other tips?<p>

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts

Gas shocks should extend themselves, and take a lot of pressure to compress. You should have no reason to ever pull them out, only push them in.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Question on KYB shocks (Phil Singher)

Hi Phil - do they need to be any more extended then they are right out of the box? I'm used to having them move freely but with resistance, at least on the non-KYB shocks I've installed on the Triumphs. In fact, you have to extend them to get them to install them properly.<br>

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

When I had gotten a set of KYB's for my 1800, they where tied up fully compressed. You cut the ties after installing.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Question on KYB shocks (VolvoBob)

The KYB Gas-a-just (sp?) shock is charged with 280 psi of nitrogen but this charge does not act directly on the piston.<p>Once correctly installed the shock will not change ride height.<p>George Dill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts