SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question on KYB shocks

Quick question on KYB Gas-a-just shocks. When they come fresh out of the package should they be really hard to compress/move up and down on their travel?

The manual that came with them shows mounting them in a vice and then extending them, but I've never had a shock that was that hard to move.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
19,954 Posts
Re: Question on KYB shocks (tdskip)

Yes, very stiff and dangerous, too.

Be very careful about squeezing the shock in a vice - even the slightest distortion can cause problems.

When ready to install bring them out to full extension and mount the tops first (car safely elevated!). Using a secondary jack and with all threaded/finished surfaces protected compress each shock slightly more than needed to clear the lower mount then maneuver the shock into place. You may need to shape a strong piece of wood as a tool. Be sure to observe all torque settings.

Are all other suspension components in good shape?

George Dill

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Question on KYB shocks (Phil Singher)

Hi Phil - do they need to be any more extended then they are right out of the box? I'm used to having them move freely but with resistance, at least on the non-KYB shocks I've installed on the Triumphs. In fact, you have to extend them to get them to install them properly.

·
Premium Member
19,954 Posts
Re: Question on KYB shocks (VolvoBob)

The KYB Gas-a-just (sp?) shock is charged with 280 psi of nitrogen but this charge does not act directly on the piston.

Once correctly installed the shock will not change ride height.

George Dill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.