SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I'm a new owner of a T6 inscription. I have owned many cars before but nothing like this, it's like getting into a piece of art every day. Cudos to Volvo! I've included a photo - doesn't it look great? :)

As I'm getting to know that car I'm getting a few questions and I hope someone out there can help me out with them:

1) I can't seem to get the rear vents (middle console, 2nd seat row) to increase air flow. Even if I slide the power bar up to the full power (5 blocks), it doesn't increase flow if the temperature is right. Is seems there is some auto setting that overrules the setting? Only if I lower or increase the temp setting substantially will I get increased air flow. Is there a way to overrule the auto climate setting?
2) I have not been able to download or update apps even when the car is connected to my home wifi (in garage). It just says that service is unavailable. Do I have to tether it to an iPhone, is that the only way it will see internet?
3) I can't enable the sms function even as my iPhone 6 is properly connected via Bluetooth. Do I need to change any setting on my iPhone or should I just wai for the updated CarPlay later this month?

Congrats to all of you owners out there and if there are any prospective buyers reading this, heed my advice: buy it, you won't regret it! :=)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can help you with the 3rd question. On your iPhone, go into Settings, Bluetooth. From there, hit the "i" button next to the Volvo option under "My Devices" (or however it is listed) and then switch "Show Notifications" on. You should be able to receive texts but won't be able to respond (Apple restriction, nothing to do with Volvo).

Btw, I don't have my car yet but this is the way it works in my current car so imagine it's the same.

·
Registered
372 Posts
For #1 - this is how it works. Although you can adjust the airflow somewhat from rear. It is really controlled by the front temp setting. In auto mode you can barely feel it working but it is working as designed.

For #2 - you may want to wait and try another day. Or enable the car's own internet connection (i.e. the AT&T sim card). Go into Settings --> My Car --> Communication and there is an option for the internet connection. Try downloading using this and see what happens. Also, it will not download anything unless the car is actually running. It seems to pause any downloads if you are in accessory mode. Most likely to prevent battery drainage.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
There's been some discussion about the vents here. Not sure we came to a real conclusion other than the heat seems to work ok despite the fans not dramatically increasing or decreasing. Be aware there are vents under the seats for heat so it's not just the ones you immediately see. Also you can override the auto function in the front at least by manually selecting fan speed but I haven't seen it influence the back. Thinking out loud- I think the under seat vents is the answer actually, and maybe we did establish that before? I know that when I crank the heat in the back I can hear the fans increase but not feel them but maybe it's cause it's directed from below.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Does this mean that the XC90 is a single zone climate control, as compared to other vehicles which may offer 2, 3, or even four zone independent control? Never really gave this much thought before. Just assumed it was multi-zone capable.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Well it claims to be 4 zone since driver, front passenger, and 2 rear passengers can independently change their climate setting.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Does this mean that the XC90 is a single zone climate control, as compared to other vehicles which may offer 2, 3, or even four zone independent control? Never really gave this much thought before. Just assumed it was multi-zone capable.
Its four zone. At least the First Editions are, is that with the climate package? And I think the standard is at least two zone.

I'm assuming the OP is about heating- using AC its very easy to discern each zone operating independently.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In Europe 4-zone is an option, not standard. I chose to not get it as I know that my kids would just fiddle around with it too much and w/o it at least I have some control...

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Its four zone. At least the First Editions are, is that with the climate package? And I think the standard is at least two zone.

I'm assuming the OP is about heating- using AC its very easy to discern each zone operating independently.
It's 4 zone, at least in my First Edition, but compared to other vehicles I have had where the rear seat people had their own temperature controls, the second row HVAC just doesn't work 'as well'. You can change the temp and fan speed back there but it doesn't really do much. At least in the opinion of those who sit back there and have sat in the bac of my previous vehicles. Just yesterday a passenger back there said it seems to be blowing mild to cool air no matter what I try, it won't blow very warm air. Oh well, they didn't complain they were cold or anything so I kind of don't care...

·
Registered
361 Posts
4 zones and "sun sensors" that determine which side of the vehicle the sun is shining on and balances the temp in the zones to compensate. Yes, your new baby is gorgeous.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Good question. On mine it means "Nitrogen Filled."

·
Registered
106 Posts
Whats with the green valve stem cap on your front wheel?
I believe that indicates his tires are filled with nitrogen.

edit: someone beat me to it!

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Paradox, what do you think about the heat being in the lower vents? That makes sense doesn't it?
I've never and will never sit back there but sure, it makes sense heat comes out the lower (under the seat) vents in the second row. But, that being said, having cool(er) air blow from the B Pillar vents and the center console vents in the second row can make some feel chilly. I can only go by what my rear seat passengers are telling me and I'm just sharing they found the HVAC a bit more comfortable in the rear of my previous vehicle. And I'm not saying they complained about it or anything, they just made mention it was better in the other car, in their opinion and they sit back there. We just got home from another 3 hour trip and no one was consistently complaining they were cold or anything so it certainly 'works', how well is a matter of opinion apparently.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just back from a 5 hour drive and the 2nd row climate control is a real problem. It does not make sense that the air flow does not increase (notably, at least) when the air power is increased from 1 to 5 bars. 2nd seat passengers have no way of getting a fresh breeze of air if they want it. What's even worse, the air flow at the first row increases with a noticable noise when setting air flow to max at the second row. This has got to be an error in the climate system. Is there any way to bring this to Volvo's attention?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Just back from a 5 hour drive and the 2nd row climate control is a real problem. It does not make sense that the air flow does not increase (notably, at least) when the air power is increased from 1 to 5 bars. 2nd seat passengers have no way of getting a fresh breeze of air if they want it. What's even worse, the air flow at the first row increases with a noticable noise when setting air flow to max at the second row. This has got to be an error in the climate system. Is there any way to bring this to Volvo's attention?
Was your heat on or ac? I think some of the confusion is from the heat coming from hidden lower vents. I am also pretty sure the noise increases in the front because the fans are located up there and simply routed to the back. I could be wrong about both of these but it's how I understand it.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I just tested this again in my car. It seems the HI and LO settings are crucial for overriding the temp-based settings. Its about 50 degrees outside which translates to pretty temperate inside the car. I usually have my CC on Auto and set around 70 degrees. Without touching anything and after a three minute remote start warmup, when I got in the car the fans were noticeable but not maxed out. Setting the rear temps to 62 and fan speed to high, seemed to basically turn them off. I believe this is based on the ambient temperature, since when I turned it to LO, I could both feel and hear the difference and there was a strong breeze coming out of the vents. I didn't check this today but I had essentially the opposite experience on the high end- HI will not have the same effect as the highest numerical temperature setting. In the case of heat, I heard the fans operating differently but the airflow out of the upper vents remained the same, reminding me that there are likely lower vents for the heat.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Question on rear vents (middle console, 2nd seat row) from new T6/Inscription...

One thing I noticed is that on auto climate the fan speed seems to top off at the maximum level at which it is preset. In my previous cars, I set the climate to auto and the system would automatically adjust the fan speed even to its maximum level get the car to the desired interior temperature as quickly as possible.

In the Volvo, for the front I need to leave the fan speed to five and in auto for it to blow effectively. If I leave it in fan speed three auto, the fan speed won't go above that level.

As far as the second row, if the fan speed at the front is set at three auto, it won't go any faster than the front preset even if the second row speed is set at five.

Is this how the system is supposed to work or do I have a bug??

I find that in five auto that I get a little bit too much circulation after the cabin has reached its desired temperature.

I'm starting to act like goldilocks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts