SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I working on neighbor's 2005 XC90 2.5T (148k miles) ... in particular, working on PCV system...trying to eliminate oil dripping from front crankshaft area. I have not yet dealth with the PCV nipple near the turbo. I have inserted a vacuum gauge into hose that connects nipple to plastic check valves and hoses that attach to intake manifold. No vacuum at idle!

Question: At idle, should one read vacuum pressure in hoses connected to PCV nipple? ... or is air velocity, at idle, too slow for the nipple to be effective?

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Maybe not your leak issue but the hose that goes from the camshaft area to the top of oil trap was made of plastic for some years (I have a 2005 and mine was plastic). These are notorious for breaking at the accordion bends (2) due to heat over time. Mine looked okay but when it was moved broke in two places. Replacement part for 2.5T (8692217) is made of rubber. Just on the off chance this is your problem, get a new hose and a couple of screw clamps and replace. You can do this without removing the intake manifold although at this juncture a PCV service and ETM cleaning might be in order.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, ggleavitt, I have included the replacement of that particular hose, with the updated version, in the work just completed. The small dia tube also was found broken and plugged ... replaced new. I also soaked the liquid separator in gasoline overnight. A lot of junk removed.

I would like to do more work, but at the moment, I need to return this car ... and get mine back! But hopefully, what I have already done will help at least a wee bit ... and I hope to get back to the PCV nipple at a later date.

Thanks garbergtsi, next time I test I will have helper speed up the engine a bit. At what rpm should one expect to see significant vacuum?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An update: A month/hundreds of miles have passed since making the incomplete repairs on the PCV system. Yesterday I had a chance to look under the hood ... and under the car.

Good news! The underside and engine-front is clean and free of oil drips. When I get a chance, I will clean the vacuum nipple ... that should make things better yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts