SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to have to pull my driver door apart to fix the door check, so I figure I will replace the problem door speaker while I'm at it. It sometimes decides not to work. Any reccomendations on something aftermarket to replace it with, or should I just get the oem kit? I have a sub in the car already & actually think the system sounds pretty good, once I came across the thread telling me how to adjust the equalizer on the SC-901. The amps for the speakers are all still the OEM with the center channel. Thanks.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Depends on which speakers you have

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends on which speakers you have
I have the stock speakers that came with the upgrade to the SC-901 3 channel pro-logic system. As far as I knew, there was only one set available. They are not the Dynaudio, just the Volvo OEM that look like the others I've seen people post pics of in the V70R forum. :confused:

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Then I believe they're the same as any V or S70 door speaker.
Eh, up to you, but with aftermarket (ie: better) speakers the 901 will really come alive!
Nothing is a bolt in, you need to modify the speaker surround a bit.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Going to repost this picture, but with a different purpose :D

The speakers I have are Alpine SPS-600C, which are about as close to drop-in as it gets. The hardest part is removing the old speakers, but once you go from there its as easy as putting 4 screws in.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I'm going to have to pull my driver door apart to fix the door check, so I figure I will replace the problem door speaker while I'm at it. It sometimes decides not to work. Any reccomendations on something aftermarket to replace it with, or should I just get the oem kit? I have a sub in the car already & actually think the system sounds pretty good, once I came across the thread telling me how to adjust the equalizer on the SC-901. The amps for the speakers are all still the OEM with the center channel. Thanks.
If it works intermittently, I suspect that it's pretty unlikely that replacing the speaker will solve your problem.
Generally, if a speaker fails, that's it. Once they stop, that's usually all she wrote. It's a very basic part.
I suspect that you have a another issue in this case. When it stops, does the left dash speaker still work?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If it works intermittently, I suspect that it's pretty unlikely that replacing the speaker will solve your problem.
Generally, if a speaker fails, that's it. Once they stop, that's usually all she wrote. It's a very basic part.
I suspect that you have a another issue in this case. When it stops, does the left dash speaker still work?
Yes, the dash speaker still will work, & the tweeter still works. When the door speaker goes out, if I give the door panel a good rap the speaker works again, sometimes for several days at a time. I took the speaker out twice & could not get it to cut out once I had the damn door apart so I wasn't able to duplicate the problem.

Andy, did you install the Alpine tweeters in the stock location also??

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Sounds like you have an issue with the connection between the factory speaker and the factory wiring.

Yes, I did install the Alpine tweeters in the stock location. I needed to fabricate a small reducer to mount the 1" tweeter where the stock 2" tweeters were. I'd recommend using a piece of 1/8" ABS plastic--it is cheap, commonly available and easy to work with. I used some plexiglass scraps I had in the garage, but if I did it over, I'd use ABS.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I assume the old speaker is difficult to remove since its riveted in? Also, this honestly just sounds like a case of bad wiring and since it's just in the door (the tweeter still works); it should be an easy fix.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Another failure point may be the main
connector for all the door's electrical
cabling at the door jamb.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I assume the old speaker is difficult to remove since its riveted in?
The speakers aren't riveted in, they're removable/reusable pins.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I assume the old speaker is difficult to remove since its riveted in?
The speakers aren't riveted in, they're removable/reusable pins.
The speaker itself is essentially plastic welded to the frame, but you can remove them without much trouble. The frame is clipped to the door.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another failure point may be the main
connector for all the door's electrical
cabling at the door jamb.
I guess I'll have to pull that apart too & take a look. We had a Saab 900 turbo that had some issues at that spot I had to fix.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Going to repost this picture, but with a different purpose :D

The speakers I have are Alpine SPS-600C, which are about as close to drop-in as it gets. The hardest part is removing the old speakers, but once you go from there its as easy as putting 4 screws in.
Andy, are you running the stock amps? If you are, are you happy with this setup? I talked to someone at Crutchfield & he said the stock amps had nowhere near enough power to run these Alpines. I thought I saw a couple people post about being happy with the 600c as a replacement. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Those are the SPS-600Cs ;) I've never personally used them on a stock Volvo amp, but I've had them driven off my aftermarket Pioneer HU's internal amp (4x22w) and they're plenty loud for most people.

Since your 98 R has a 4x40w amp, you'll be fine if you run those Alpines. They're actually fairly efficient for 6.5" components, and should be able to handle almost anything you throw at them.

As much as I love Crutchfield, they're not really too knowledgeable about our cars.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks Andy, that's what I thought you would say. I was pretty sure the Volvo amp was 40 or 45 per channel. The guy at Crutchfield was sure it was 15. I appeciate the response, I wanted to make sure I was remembering this stuff properly. I had a brain tumor removed last year & my memory sucks ass sometimes, I can't really trust it, especially for numbers. :peace:

Thanks for the pictures of the tweeter install, that doesn't look too bad to do, I'm pretty good at backyard engineering like that. It looks like the 600's are now called a 610c. Was it a bitch to take the top of the dash off? I've never done that, the only work I've done on the dash so far was to replace the center speaker. Did you replace your rear door speakers or leave them stock? I was thinking of replacing the rears with the 610 coax while I'm at it.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
You don't have to, just pop the grill out

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You don't have to, just pop the grill out
Thanks, I was hoping that would be the answer! It doesn't look to easy to remove the top of the dash.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Thanks Andy, that's what I thought you would say. I was pretty sure the Volvo amp was 40 or 45 per channel. The guy at Crutchfield was sure it was 15. I appeciate the response, I wanted to make sure I was remembering this stuff properly. I had a brain tumor removed last year & my memory sucks ass sometimes, I can't really trust it, especially for numbers. :peace:

Thanks for the pictures of the tweeter install, that doesn't look too bad to do, I'm pretty good at backyard engineering like that. It looks like the 600's are now called a 610c. Was it a bitch to take the top of the dash off? I've never done that, the only work I've done on the dash so far was to replace the center speaker. Did you replace your rear door speakers or leave them stock? I was thinking of replacing the rears with the 610 coax while I'm at it.
Happy to help! The stock 98 V70 comes with an 816 which is 4x15 watts, but the Rs came standard with a 900/901 and a 4x40 amp, so you're all set on that front.

The tweeters were pretty easy to do, just pop the grill off, no need to pull the whole upper dash off. Even though it's not really hard to pull the upper dash, there's not much point :D

I have the 600 co-axials in my rear doors, they do a good job when paired with the front components.

To remove the stock speakers from the speaker frame, drill out the four plastic "welds" (look for the criss cross pattern) then starting at one side, use a large flat-head screwdriver to pry the speaker from the frame. Its glued on there pretty good, but jam the screwdriver through and it'll pop right out.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
If anyone else runs into a really annoying intermitant speaker problem, I did get it fixed finally. I had pulled it twice & everything checked out, but sometimes the door speaker would stop working. A light rap on the door would get it going again. The last time I had the door open to fix the door check I pulled the plug off the speaker & just tweaked both sides of the plug pins a little bit. That's all it took to fix it. The bugger looked fine, no corrosion, looked perfect. I wish I was smart enough to have tried that the first time! It took all of 20 seconds to do. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts