SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for someone who knows turbos...

Is there only a few turbo upgrades that will work with our cars? I have heard of a couple, basically the ones that come in ATPs turbo kits for our cars. However, there is a local guy selling a Garrett gt3576 for what seems to be a great price ($575). Is that too powerful or not able to work with our car? I am just now starting my quest to find an upgrade turbo and I am confused as to why only 2-3 specific models have been mentioned. I know I would have to have a shop fabricate some stuff but as far as the actual turbocharger is there anything I should be looking for specifically? I have already found a source for either a T25 or T3 Garrett manifold For around $450 shipped. Any help would be appreciated, I wish there were a local shop that I knew of that has experience with turbo upgrades...I really don't want to pay $2800 for the ATP kit, plus 800-1100 for the tune, etc. It looks like a custom fabricated setup might be cheaper.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Question for someone who know turbos... (mad matt)

Yeah, that would be a good idea. I think I will end up going with the gt2871r based off the fact that I think IPD has already tuned an S40/C30 with one, so hopefully I wouldn't get raped paying for a "custom" tune...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Re: Question for someone who knows turbos... (carreragt7)

Quote, originally posted by carreragt7 »
Is there only a few turbo upgrades that will work with our cars? I have heard of a couple, basically the ones that come in ATPs turbo kits for our cars. However, there is a local guy selling a Garrett gt3576 for what seems to be a great price ($575). Is that too powerful or not able to work with our car? I am just now starting my quest to find an upgrade turbo and I am confused as to why only 2-3 specific models have been mentioned. I know I would have to have a shop fabricate some stuff but as far as the actual turbocharger is there anything I should be looking for specifically? I have already found a source for either a T25 or T3 Garrett manifold For around $450 shipped. Any help would be appreciated, I wish there were a local shop that I knew of that has experience with turbo upgrades...I really don't want to pay $2800 for the ATP kit, plus 800-1100 for the tune, etc. It looks like a custom fabricated setup might be cheaper.

I would look at this thread in the IPD section.
http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=117451

It sounds like our stock turbo and teh manifold are one piece. That might explain why it is a little more difficult to find one for our cars.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm sure it would work, but at that price there has got to be something wrong with it. Regardless, you're going to need a good tune to make sure you don't have too much boost too low in the rpm band. Also, you'd need a new DP. All said and done look at spending around 4k ish.

Also, if you did do this, i wouldn't look at boosting above 18 or so psi. I don't know the integrity of the rods or heads in these cars so i'd play it safe.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (BtownVolvo)

It supposedly works perfectly fine. The guy just has a bunch of acura/honda parts that he is selling off, and he has like 4 turbos he is selling, but this is the only one I'd be interested as the other ones are stock WRX and other cars stock turbos. It is supposedly good for up to 600whp, which is way more power than I'd expect out of our car. And I found 2 manifolds made for our (advertised for the C30) car so I'd assume with the correct turbo and manifold I'd be fine. I'm basically trying to piece together a turbo upgrade instead of buying the ATP kit, as the ATP kit downpipe is for FWD so I'd have to get a downpipe anyway, and a seller of the ATP kit was only willing to knock $200 off the kit price if they didn't include the downpipe.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Re: (BtownVolvo)

Quote, originally posted by BtownVolvo »

Also, if you did do this, i wouldn't look at boosting above 18 or so psi. I don't know the integrity of the rods or heads in these cars so i'd play it safe.

The T5's problem is not rods or heads. Its thermal expansion. The cylinders heat up so much that they crack at the top.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Re: Question for someone who knows turbos... (carreragt7)

I did my S4 this route and I will tell you it is a PITA. Kits are for sure the way to go. Remember you have to match not only PSI but fuel. Can stock injectors/fuel pump keep up with the turbo? Will there be a ton of lag? The Garrett gt3576 are used in a lot of DSM cars and are good for 600 hp. The price you are getting yours for is definitely used. If it is local check to see if it has any play in the shaft.

The reason only specific turbos are mentioned is usually they are the ones that work with the car without the costing the most.
Audi S4's have KO3, guys buy KO4's as the bolt right up, more adventurous guys go with T28's which require some finessing.

I am sure you could make it work but in the long run it will end up costing you a lot more time, money and aggravation.
My $0.02
Todd

·
Registered
502 Posts
Re: (zerocover)

Quote, originally posted by zerocover »

The T5's problem is not rods or heads. Its thermal expansion. The cylinders heat up so much that they crack at the top.
Ahh see in that case I would probably want to run an aquamist kit regardless to bring down temps.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Re: (carreragt7)

Thats a big ass turbo dude. You planning on building the bottom end? In the grand scheme of things a GT35R is a pretty commonly used turbo and isnt anything insane but for our cars is a bit overkill especially for our low redline. You would be best to use a smaller turbine housing with that large of a compressor. Or opposite small compressor and medium to larger turbine housing.

Id stick with the GT2871R will make great power and yet not dog out on you in the upper rpms of your powerband.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Re: (ForceFed Motorsports)

Wow, I was also going to say... that's a massive turbo for our cars.

At that size I'd imagine you'd be sacrificing alot of low end power and it would take quite some time to spool. I miss playing with aftermarket turbos

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Re: (Moofluffen)

Thats gonna be a turbo that would require to have your foot all the way in it to build boost. My T3/TO4E garrett with .63 turbine housing on a 1.8l 4 cylinder requires a lot of load in order to build boost. The GT ball bearing housings will increase spool maybe 200 300 rpms quicker over a standard journal bearing turbo like mine but still will require load to build boost.

Would compare to a moderate sized GT30 turbo. The more we discuss this the more i really wanna do this upgrade as well

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (ForceFed Motorsports)

Yeah, I just thought I'd ask. I'm not very mechanically-minded so I didn't know how big of a difference it was, but I was assuming it was a lot larger as the increasing numbering system appears to show the size/power of the turbo.
I'm super disappointed that there doesn't appear to be an AWD kit out there yet, but I know that mcevoya or burritasva or whatever their user names are were working one on that supposedly would work for AWD. Haven't heard of a time frame on that though. I think I am going to focus on the style side of things this summer and keep researching the turbo upgrade and do it at the end of this year or so, unless I got a super good deal on some sort of package.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Re: (carreragt7)

It looks like you dont really too many performance upgrades to increase your power level. Have you thought about keeping stock turbo but taking it to a further level such as full turbo back exhaust and an aquamist setup and getting a real dyno tune from IPD. I think most would be surprised as to how much MORE power can be made with a real data logged tune rather than an over the counter base map.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.