SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the OEM hitch & it works great for towing. The problem is I want to be able to mount a bike rack on the hitch. Any ideas other than what I'm thinking of doing by welding a 2" receiver tube to the side of the Volvo hitch? Thanks if anyone has some input.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
What does the factory hitch look like? Is it the 2x3 rectangle like the old 7 series hitch? If so, I found that the yakima bike rack I have works by using a 1/2" nut on the inside of the rack tube so it bolts solid to one side of the hitch tube... which means it works just fine in a 2x3 even though it's 2x2. I just had to put the safety pin inside the tube instead of outside, which was a little tricky but it worked.

Otherwise yeah welding on a 2" tube is probably the way to go.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a picture of the hitch, but I couldn't figure out how to upload it from my computer. It's an unusual solid 1 piece bar & 2" ball with a locking sleeve that attaches to the main hitch.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Hmmm I haven't seen that before. I'd try to build a 2" square that can bolt on, but welding something on is as good an idea as anything.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Do you have a receiver attached to the car (1.25 or 2" square hole)? Or a piece of metal with ball attached?

If you have a receiver, you can get bike racks with 1.25" OR 2" (and some even have adapters for either) mounts that go into the receiver. You can also get a 1.25" to 2" adapter.

I have a 1.25" receiver. I have a bike rack (1.25" or 2"), tow bar/ball (1.25"), and cargo carrier (2" with adapter) that I use with it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Do you have a receiver attached to the car (1.25 or 2" square hole)? Or a piece of metal with ball attached?

If you have a receiver, you can get bike racks with 1.25" OR 2" (and some even have adapters for either) mounts that go into the receiver. You can also get a 1.25" to 2" adapter.

I have a 1.25" receiver. I have a bike rack (1.25" or 2"), tow bar/ball (1.25"), and cargo carrier (2" with adapter) that I use with it.
I have the Volvo OEM hitch, it attaches like you are docking to the space shuttle. I've never seen anything else like it as a hitch. It's an odd 2 piece sleeve that is self locking with a pin. Here is a picture of 2 of the ball assemblies that I got off the site from an old thread.

Is there an easy way to just upload a picture direct to here from my computer? I ended up having to put the picture on Photobucket to upload it.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yes, those hitches are quite unique. I don't know what other vehicles if any use them. It's a round or oval shaft that goes into the round receiver type thing. (ok, here comes the dirty comments!)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, round pipe that is a very tight fit onto a round bar & than locks itself. I've been towing stuff for 40 some years & never saw anything remotely like the Volvo setup. The advantage of it is it's very quiet & never rattles. The disadvantage is there are no options other than a 2" ball.

·
Banned
1,515 Posts
There were two options available and it appears you got the European model. I found the factory bike rack but it is roughly $1400 for the kit so that is an option (very expensive one at that). I would consider searching for the standard hitch, Volvo US part number 9134247 as this will have the standard 2" receiver that will accept just about everything this side of the pond.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There were two options available and it appears you got the European model. I found the factory bike rack but it is roughly $1400 for the kit so that is an option (very expensive one at that). I would consider searching for the standard hitch, Volvo US part number 9134247 as this will have the standard 2" receiver that will accept just about everything this side of the pond.
Thanks Ron, when I bought the car the dealer asked me if I wanted a factory hitch & I told them to go ahead & put it on. I assumed it would be 100 some dollars like other nice hitches. When I picked it up I found out it was $500!!!! Than the dealership had a heck of a time wiring it because of some odd european wire coding. They ended up having to make a pigtail for me so it could work with a 4 pin flat. It's an awesome hitch, is well hidden, it just stinks that you have no easy option other than a 2" ball. I wonder how many bikes come with the $1,400 bike rack??!! :screwy:

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Definitely just buy some square tubing and have it welded on. Probably cost you $50 and you're instantly converted to the USA hitch type.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Definitely just buy some square tubing and have it welded on. Probably cost you $50 and you're instantly converted to the USA hitch type.
That's what I was thinking, box in a 2" receiver with some steel plate & it will do both easily for not much money or work.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
bumpin' an old af thread cause I'm finally looking at this p80 after parking it for a year:

I know the 2" ball recevier part is 9499606 costs like.. a whopping $250, which I'm obviously not going to buy. I was hoping to tow a small trailer so my motorcycles can get to the mechanics but... apparently this is TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR from this POS hitch. What else did everyone do? Sell it for a draw-tite?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts