SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kai,

wondering what type of motor oil you use (brand and weight) and what type of paint have you used to paint your calipers...has that paint been on for a while? If yes, has it lasted?

Thanks,

Yannis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,888 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:
Kai,

wondering what type of motor oil you use (brand and weight) and what type of paint have you used to paint your calipers...has that paint been on for a while? If yes, has it lasted?

Thanks,

Yannis
I currently use Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic 10-30 motor oil in my C70. I've been using it for the last 10K miles or so, no problems. As far as caliper painting, haven't done it to the Volvo but I did it on my Nissan Maxima. It's a product called Foliatec and it's like a two part lacquer, paint and hardener. I had it on the car for over 2 years with no paint fade or chipping. A quick swipe with a towel and it was shiny as new. Application is a bit of a pain to apply as you have to do it using a brush. Any high-temp spray can should work on the calipers. Hope this answers your questions.

Regards,
Mike H.

[This message has been edited by mike_c70 (edited 03-25-2002).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,564 Posts
Well, Mike helped me answered half of the questions.


I'm using the same brand caliper paint as he did. So far, it's not fading yet. Should last a good year or two.

As for the motor oil, I either use Mobil 1 or Redline (if I'm rich and have nothing else to do) 5W30(since you don't have 5W50 here in the States). I used to use 15W50..not sure if I would want to switch back.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
quote:

Originally posted by The_one_n_only:
As for the motor oil, I either use Mobil 1 or Redline (if I'm rich and have nothing else to do) 5W30(since you don't have 5W50 here in the States). I used to use 15W50..not sure if I would want to switch back.
Thanks to both of you...

Kai...what do you think (or what have you heard) about 5W-50? That is what I put in after the ECU upgrade. I can get my hands on either 5W-50 (this time Castrol Syntec since I could not find Mobil 1 but now I know where to get Mobil 1 eitehr 5W-50 or 10W-40) or 10W-40. I don't know if I would go as heavy as 15W-50...ALthough the guy from TME told me that in Europe they all use 15W-50 or 20W-50! Up to the ECU upgrade, I always used Mobil 1 10W-30 (warm months) or 5W-30 (cold months)...

Thanks,

Yannis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Yannis - can you tell me a little bit about how you like the ECU upgrade? I am considering doing it through ipd. I did not notice in your list of mods if you have the cat-back exhaust or not. I saw a dual-exhaust from Heiko (sp?) that looks good. Thanks, Pk
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Pk14:


Yannis - can you tell me a little bit about how you like the ECU upgrade? I am considering doing it through ipd. I did not notice in your list of mods if you have the cat-back exhaust or not. I saw a dual-exhaust from Heiko (sp?) that looks good. Thanks, Pk
I love it! The car has developed a..."new" personality ever since I installed my upgraded ECU! I have done an extensive review back when I first received it...you can search in the January posts and you will see my impressions. Other than that, I have noticed that the turbocharger whines a bit more pronounced when it spools up (at about 2,200 to 2,300 rpm) and when I gun it, there is a bit more exhaust coming out of the tailpipe.

I do not have the sport exhaust. The dual exhaust that you saw from Heico (Germany) is beautiful...I just don't know how loud it is...

Yannis
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top