SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be installing my CX Racing FMIC kit tomorrow. I helped someone put in their FMIC last week and when we finished, we found that we could not open the hood. Does anybody know how to avoid this from happening before I start?

TIA
-Patrick

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Good luck and not sure about the hood thing my indy did my install.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have heard about this but was not the case for my install. I know that most installs remove the large front cross member that the latches are attached to. However I did not remove it completely and instead just removed the bolts and pulled it foward to access the cooling pack. I used bungees to hold it leaning forward and I did not have to disconnect the hood latch cable or the powersteering cooler. Headlights stayed in position as well. Hood closed and opened with no issue upon reinstallation.

·
6,436 Posts
Patrick - do not unbolt two latches - just unbolt one and slide the crossmember to the side. I unbolted the passenger-side only.
Also, when you put things back together at the end make sure you the bolts are lined up with the old marks and you should not have an issue.

Hey - where in NJ are you? Darek and I are getting our wheels done on Saturday morning and maybe this would be a good trip to make and test them out. Got beer? :)

When are you starting?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Patrick - do not unbolt two latches - just unbolt one and slide the crossmember to the side. I unbolted the passenger-side only.
Also, when you put things back together at the end make sure you the bolts are lined up with the old marks and you should not have an issue.

Hey - where in NJ are you? Darek and I are getting our wheels done on Saturday morning and maybe this would be a good trip to make and test them out. Got beer? :)

When are you starting?
I'm in Tappan, NY. Beer is plentiful and trying to start pretty early :p

·
Registered
2,137 Posts

When are you starting?
If I didn't have work I would of joined!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Good luck and take pictures! I'm planning a CXR FMIC at some point too!

·
6,436 Posts
Sounds good - I"ll call/text you if we have the time to come up on Saturday - that is if you think you'll need help.
And, I think I'll be biking to Nyack and back on Sunday so I'll hit you up regardless.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds good - I"ll call/text you if we have the time to come up on Saturday - that is if you think you'll need help.
And, I think I'll be biking to Nyack and back on Sunday so I'll hit you up regardless.
Awesome, should be nice weather. If you head up, take 9W up instead of the palisades. It's a nice drive.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Patrick.

The way to avoid it is when you put it all back together check both latches. An match Surette ball is caught on the hook. LOL

HAVE AT IT

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
im always jealous when I see a group of owners getting together for a project....its been just about a year since the last time I saw another R :(

Have fun with the FMIC build, mine comes this spring once heat soak threatens again.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
When I installed my ViVA FMIC I was worried about that too. I didn't end up having any trouble. I also made life easy for myself and removed the passenger side headlight and front crash bar. I had the cooling pack separated in 15 minutes.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Make sure the latches on the hood match up, first time you close the hood do it nice and slow (oooooh baby).

And don't bother putting the bumper on until AFTER you close and open the hood a bunch of times.

Other than that stuff basically the cable to actually 'pull' is like a bicycle brake line, just make sure that it's lined up and that the 'ball' at the end is in the right place.

Good luck and give me a call if you need anything, if I wasn't finishing apartment stuff, I'd cruise down there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts