SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, guys quick question. I am changing my water pump and timing belt. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me the size of the large nut that holds on the pully you need to remove is? I need to go buy a rather large socket and i have no idea what size it is. Also, is there a tool i can buy to keep the pulley from turning, the Hayes book i have says to use a homemade tool to keep the pulley from moving, is there such a tool i can buy from a napa or advanced auto?<br>thanks a bunch

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Question about timing belt change and water pump, need help (rgl133)

oh one more thing, anyone know the size of the tubing i will need to drain the coolant from the engine block. i wana get some tube that goes over the drain outlet so it doesnt leak all over everything. thanks

·
Registered
773 Posts
Re: Question about timing belt change and water pump, need help (rgl133)

Crank pulley is 30 mm. You can, if you work at it, take off the guard on the bottom side of the pulley (2 x 10 mm bolts) and work the belt around the pulley, without taking the pulley off. Otherwise, get an impact wrench and go to it. I didn't have enough air to power my wrench, and making your own pulley holder is a pain.<p>As for the hose, you can drain the radiator on the driver's(?) side, and it goes straight down. Also, another drain on the back of the block on the water lines, and that would take probably a 5/16 or 3/8 line, but if you have a pan underneath, it drains nicely and doesn't really splatter everywhere. don't really need a nose to do this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Question about timing belt change and water pump, need help (wizzard_al)

thanks a bunch. just got a 30mm socket but i think im gonna try and work at taking the guard off and see how that goes. Drained the rad i think and the block, although i only got around a little over a gallon of coolant to come out so i am waiting for a suprise when i take off the water pump. Will update tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (ar3000751)

alright i got the water pump on and im trying to fit the belt but i have a question. the belt is obviously very tight. What was the order you guys followed to get the belt on as far putting the belt over which pulleys first? I tried placing it over all the pullies and then the tensioner last but the crank pully gets in the way.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Re: (rgl133)

The hardest part is getting the belt around the crank pulley, if you do it my way. then, you run it up over the water pump, and basically around the cam pulleys, and then you try to install the tensioner pulley, if I recall. Or, have that tensioner in place, but loose, and adjusted way loose, and after the belt is on, then set the tension.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (wizzard_al)

hey guys, got everything on and in place. tried to start the car, it started but it sputtered. Will that clear up? I only ran the car for maybe 3 seconds so that in case something was wrong it wont do any damage. Do i need to let the car run for a bit for the timing tensioner to set itself or something? thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Re: (rgl133)

No it should run fine. Did you take the precaution to lock the cams in place and make sure all the timing marks are lined up? I have found you have to turn the crank counter clock wise a degree or two so when you tension the belt the marks line up. Is the CEL on?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (2002VolvoS60)

ya the cams were in place and the marks all lined up. I doubled checked before i started the car and they were spot on. What is the CEL? idk if i have heard of this before.<br>Thanks

·
Registered
404 Posts
After installing the belt, did you rotate the engine by hand a few times to make sure that the marks lined up each time? You probably are out of time.<p>I dont want to sound rude, but, most people are not capable of changing their own timing belt. The ones that are mechanically inclined enough to do are have discovered so by tackling smaller tasks first...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts