SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering if what II experiencing is normal. I will try to explain it to the best of my ability. When braking it feels like there is two stages the braking system goes through. So you break as normal and all is well, but when the car slows down you feel a second feed back, the best way i can describe it, it feels like a downshift but more noticeable and the brakes clamp down further. This happen typically around when I believe the car shifts to either the second or first gear.

When driving, you don't feel the downshift. You only feel it when you brake and it is only when the car reaches a lower speed when you feel it. I don't feel like the brakes are not working, it is just weird to feel the second feedback, becuase it feels more like an engine brake for a second and then the normal braking feel returns.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
26 Posts
The issue we had with the brakes was mainly a loud squeaking noise while at low speeds. The rotors were replaced on both front & back. Not sure if that would solve your issue or not.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... I wonder if the ABS are kicking in and it is more noticeable at lower speeds. When the second phase kicks in, you know the car is going to stop short than what you're expecting because it really applies the pressure on the brakes. I was talking to a few of my co-workers and that is what they think it is.

I don't hear any squeaking or squealing noise. Now, at times when I back out of my drive way I do hear somewhat of a very low squeaking noise, you really have to listen for it. I don't know if that is tied to the brakes though. It may be. I told the service center about it when my engine light came on, but they claim that they were not able to reproduce it.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
This sounds kind of like the auto brake hold kicking in. When I roll very slowly to a stop, then take my foot off the brake, sometimes even if my intent is to let myself roll a little further, the auto brake activates and it's very easy to feel. It really only happens in a certain type of stop-go traffic so if it is the auto brake and you're not in stop-go it may need adjusting.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've detected something similar. It is subtle, but I can sense it. A general case -- if I'm driving in city traffic and I'm coming up to a red light -- let's say from 40 mph -- in other vehicles, I would apply braking pressure and the car decelerate linearly (steadily) until I came to a stop. With the XC-90, if I apply constant braking pressure the vehicle will decelerate at rate A for a while, then change to rate B. If I want smooth and constant slowing, I have to modulate the amount of pressure I apply to the brake pedal. I'll be a bit more mindful of this conditions in my driving and take notes on the conditions when it occurs.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've detected something similar. It is subtle, but I can sense it. A general case -- if I'm driving in city traffic and I'm coming up to a red light -- let's say from 40 mph -- in other vehicles, I would apply braking pressure and the car decelerate linearly (steadily) until I came to a stop. With the XC-90, if I apply constant braking pressure the vehicle will decelerate at rate A for a while, then change to rate B. If I want smooth and constant slowing, I have to modulate the amount of pressure I apply to the brake pedal. I'll be a bit more mindful of this conditions in my driving and take notes on the conditions when it occurs.
That is exactly what I feel. Thank you for describing it better than I did. Mine is subtle for the most part, but you definitely feel it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a question is it in sport mode and downshifting when that extra brake feel kicks in.?
No, comfort mode. I think it may be the abs. Pbfr001 described what's going on a lot better than I did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts