SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front struts are leaking. I am going to get new ones.

However, my rear struts are still fine. That being said, do you recommend just replacing both ends, or letting the rears break before I replace them?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
You should replace in PAIRS (front 2 or rear 2) you don't have to replace all 4. Just don't replace 1 front or 1 rear. You'll be fine just replacing the front 2.

·
6,436 Posts
My front struts are leaking. I am going to get new ones.

However, my rear struts are still fine. That being said, do you recommend just replacing both ends, or letting the rears break before I replace them?
wait for the rears to fail - no need to replace them yet

·
Registered
329 Posts
You could do them all at one time, but there isn't anything wrong with doing one axle at a time, especially if the parts in question haven't failed.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Screenshot time, all replies in agreement so far.... :D

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You should replace in PAIRS (front 2 or rear 2) you don't have to replace all 4. Just don't replace 1 front or 1 rear. You'll be fine just replacing the front 2.
What is the reasoning to replace in pairs? As I understand they don't fail slowly, only catastrophically (lose fluid -- game over). This should mean they're either good or bad. Why replace a good one just because another is bad?

·
Registered
329 Posts
What is the reasoning to replace in pairs? As I understand they don't fail slowly, only catastrophically (lose fluid -- game over). This should mean they're either good or bad. Why replace a good one just because another is bad?
Struts wear gradually, so they may be worn out and not leaking fluid or giving an immediately noticeable rough ride. Replacing struts as axle pairs will keep a vehicle's ride and handling more predictable, especially over rough terrain. New struts will rebound much more quickly than worn ones, even if the worn struts haven't completely failed.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
You don't have to replace in pairs but its a good idea. The idea being that both struts wear at a similar rate. Replacing one will upset the balance of the car. How much balance are we talking about, meh probably not much but if you want to do it right replace both struts at the same time. As for doing the rears and fronts at the same time, that's not necessary.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Well he did say strutS, not strut :D

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
When my rears went, I replaced all 4 because I did springs at the same time. Just something to consider. I didn't want to be in there twice, although the fronts are pretty easy to replace.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When my rears went, I replaced all 4 because I did springs at the same time. Just something to consider. I didn't want to be in there twice, although the fronts are pretty easy to replace.
Lowering springs, I suppose? I was thinking about that, but I do not want lowering springs. NJ roads are just too unpredictably bad. I also have to go up steep driveways at times.

Okay, so going by consensus, I will just do the front two struts. Looking at the guide, it seems a pretty easy DIY.

Any recommendations on other things/mods to do while I am there? Reading other threads, some people say LCA, Bushings, and End Links. Sway bar, perhaps?

Also, how long will it take a novice to do this? Or should I just break down and go to an indy?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Lowering springs, I suppose? I was thinking about that, but I do not want lowering springs. NJ roads are just too unpredictably bad. I also have to go up steep driveways at times.

Okay, so going by consensus, I will just do the front two struts. Looking at the guide, it seems a pretty easy DIY.

Any recommendations on other things/mods to do while I am there? Reading other threads, some people say LCA, Bushings, and End Links. Sway bar, perhaps?

Also, how long will it take a novice to do this? Or should I just break down and go to an indy?
Depends on how low you go. You should take a ride in my car when I get it back. The front is the same height with TME as it was stock. Rear is what lowered.

The fronts alone are really not too bad. It's the rears that are a pain. You can finish the fronts in an afternoon.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts

Sways you need to drop the subframe so I wouldn't do that while doing struts lol strut plate and bearings are a good thing to replace while doing struts tho, either get HD ones or the XC90 bearings tho since they are thicker then S60 OEM ones. LCA and Endlinks are easy to do also while your down there.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
How can I see if the struts on R are leaking?
Jack the car up, take the wheel off, look for leaks/fluid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts