SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its has now been 3 weeks since I bought my XC90 and can't figure out a couple of things. My XC90 is a Momentum with the Momentum plus pkg, the vision pkg, protection plus pkg and child booster seat.

The first thing I wanted to know when parking, does the car have front sensors? I know when I reverse I see the car image show up with the sensor bars on the center console, but I don't see any sensor bars on the front. My garage is a bit tight, so when I park the car, I switch to the front cam to see how much gap I have left, but the sensor doesn't beep when I am close to an object. This leads me to question if the XC90's have front sensors.

Second question I had is with the blind side warning functionality. I noticed that at least on the passenger side, the blind spot light only shows if a car is passing you or you are slowing passing a car. The blind spot light does not turn on if you are passing the car very fast. I am assuming this is normal, just wanted to make sure.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Based form experience, there's a warning if your front is very close or about to bump into something. It is loud so you wouldn't miss it, it's different from the sound you here when you're backing up. Also there has been a few instance where a member here said their XC90 stop moving forward when it sense that the garage is too tight.

Disclaimer: I had this front warning sound happened to me once but never in regards to the car stopping short in a tight garage.

Our car works like that, when you pass by a car and you have adequate speed and distance the BLIS indicator will not turn on. I noticed though that when a big rig truck is in my blind spot the BLIS doesn't turn on, so not sure if that's a glitch or maybe because the sensor was thinking the truck is just a big wall... hehehe! I don't know. I haven't seen anyone here reporting an issue like what I've experienced with the BLIS.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My garage is very tight, and the front sensors most definitely light up when I pull in. I end up with about 2 inches between the wall and the front bumper. The on screen image of the car shows all red around the front of the car and the speakers are using the same frantic beeping that the rear sensors would use.
The sensors start warning me about 1.5 -2 feet from the wall. The car has never stopped itself from hitting the wall. I know this because I've hit the wall... slowly.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Park assist is part of the convenience package. So unless you have that as well, you don't have that functionality.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Park assist is part of the convenience package. So unless you have that as well, you don't have that functionality.
BoneDoc, I believe you are referring to the Park Assist Pilot, where the car can self park itself. That is not what I am referring to. I believe Park Assist is standard but PAP is part of the Convenience package.

According to the manual, http://esd.volvocars.com/local/us/Volvo-2016-XC90-Owners-Manual-v3.pdf, on page 296-297, it shows that the car should have front sensors and there is front park assist warning. However, when I am backing out or pulling in, I only get the sensors to show up for the back of the car and not the front. If you look at the image below, this is from the manual, I will take a picture later today, you see how you have sensors levels showing on both sides, in mine Momentum, i only see the one for the rear of the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
But if you look on the US configurator it states that Momentum has only Rear Park Assist as standard. It is only in the Convenience Package where you get - Park Assist Pilot/Front Park Assist. Should be visually quite easy to see as the small circular sensors are visible.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But if you look on the US configurator it states that Momentum has only Rear Park Assist as standard. It is only in the Convenience Package where you get - Park Assist Pilot/Front Park Assist. Should be visually quite easy to see as the small circular sensors are visible.
Ah ok, that makes sense. Thank you. I am so sorry I didn't go to the configurator. I checked the front bumper and didn't see the sonar sensors which is what led me to ask my question. For some reason when the dealership explained to me the convenience pkg, he only mentioend the Park Assist Pilot and didn't mention anything about Front Park Assist, that most of all led me to think the front park assist was standard and why I chose not to get the convenience pkg. I was more like, heck... i can park my own car :). Thanks for the note about the configurator.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Ah ok, that makes sense. Thank you. I am so sorry I didn't go to the configurator. I checked the front bumper and didn't see the sonar sensors which is what led me to ask my question. For some reason when the dealership explained to me the convenience pkg, he only mentioend the Park Assist Pilot and didn't mention anything about Front Park Assist, that most of all led me to think the front park assist was standard and why I chose not to get the convenience pkg. I was more like, heck... i can park my own car :). Thanks for the note about the configurator.
I had a really tight garage years ago - hung a string with a tennis ball on the end at the exact spot when I would need to stop. When it touches your windshield, you stop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts