SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, guys. god dag stötarna . I just picked up a 2002 S60 AWD, before going on the road I replaced EVERYTHING in the front suspension and brakes. It’s a pleasure driving it, especially compared to my Suzuki X90( look up that little crap box-because I’m sure you don’t remember them-lol) but on my first long trip I did notice a lot of grumble or road noise coming only from the left front. I put a complete set of low mileage USED tires on it and they are Falken Ziex , ZE-912’s .I had them balanced the right way and the car just had a 4 wheel alignment. The tires had 80% tread and showed no uneven wear, but there could still be one ‘bad’ one.

my way of thinking was to first switch that tire to another spot and ee if the sound moves with it. Means the tires a little off in some way. I admit, although a true gearhead, I am not real versed on front drive axles and such, but I’m thinking if the noise was a hub bearing that the pitch would change around cornering. It doesn’t. Is does change with the road surface though making me more believe it is a tire thing. Are there any noted driveline parts like CV joints etc. on th front of these cars that are noted for making such noises when the go bad?? I’ll be here a while because I have a few more questions about other quirks. Thanx. Crossy

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
mine has always done this too, ive been through 3 sets of tires in 2 years, replaced wheel bearings, axles, all suspension parts and its never changed so I believe it may be coming from the transaxle (input shaft bearing?) but i've given up and learned to deal with it... its less noticiable when the driver window is down

also it seems to get louder when turning left

i hear a similar noise on the XC70 but its very faint, almost nonexistent compared to the S60

make sure you have an alignment done, as your tires could devlop severe feathering and cause other noises

having some earplugs in the car might be handy for long trips

good day

1 - 2 of 2 Posts