SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night my right bulb burnt out and I was going to go grab a new one this morrning, but I was think about how the stock lights are kinda wimpy! Anyony running brighter bulbs in the stock sockets? Any recomendations would be great.

Spearzy how are yours working out? You have had them in for how long? nothing blow up? http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif No getting pulled over?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Re: Question about light bulbs in headlights. (Kaizai)

I have put Sylvania Cool Blues in mine, what a difference it makes at night, much more light. About $13 for the two. I wish i would have got the Sylvania Sliver Star but there $24 each.

[Modified by doublej95, 8:55 PM 11-9-2002]

·
Registered
222 Posts
Re: Question about light bulbs in headlights. (doublej95)

I have used about every bulb available on the market, atleast that I could get my hands on. I used Piaas for about two years, but they burned out every few months, and at 80 dollars a pair, it was getting expensive. So then I went with some toucans and other cheap brands. They were too blue for my needs and still burned out, but not as often. I then went to this site in England and ordered a set of Phillips BlueVision bulbs and Rally bulbs, Rally in the Highs and Phillips in the lows. I like them, they arent really a blue look or even as white as some, but they are bright and they arent burning out. I have to say, all bulbs are not created equal, but all things considered, its sort of a waste of money to spend much more than 50 or 60 dollars on a set. After that I think you are better off getting into either the Catz Zeta system-if it works well, or better yet the HID conversion systems. Thats what I want next, a Hid conversion setup, Im just worried about the kinds of modifications I will have to make.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Question about light bulbs in headlights. (pj's 850)

Which PIAA bulbs were you using?

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I think I am going with the PIAA Xtreme White Plus 9006/HB4 Bulbs.

·
Registered
625 Posts

Piaa's aren't that bright according to some independent reviews on the net by some rice rocketers tho http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif

I have phillips blue vision too, not white, but a little whiter than stock. I did the 9006-9005 conversion (high beam bulbs in low beam socket) and they're quite bright..

still not bright enough for my taste, but oh well, ain't gonna spend $500 USD or more to get HID.

Unless you go out of town a lot just forget it.. the brightest halogen bulbs still won't light up the road that much with the DOT lenses.

If you're going for looks... it still wouldn't look that good. I mean, everyone with good eyes can tell a real HID to just blue bulbs (even silverstars) because of the amount of light that they produce.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I got the PIAA Xtreme White Plus 9006/HB4 Bulbs 4000K put in and they are great. All I wanted was a little brighter than stock, and these are them. I would recommend them to anyone who wants just a little better than stock without looking after market.

I wasn't going for the blue/hid look, just good replacements.

They were $79.00, and as long as they last at least a few years, they are 100% worth it http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
625 Posts

thats good to hear
with my philips blue vision I get about 1700 lumens compare to the stock's 950 (according to osram's website)

a lot more light but I want more http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: Question about light bulbs in headlights. (xtremepsionic)

I'd recommend the Razo Premium White Zero bulbs...I've seen them on a few of my friend's cars...at 4550K color temp they don't have the ricey blue and the price is right at around $50/pr

·
Registered
999 Posts
Re: Question about light bulbs in headlights. (Stoned)

FWIW, I'd suggest installing E-code lenses in your Volvo. I went w/the E-code lenses and Phillips BlueVisions, and man, it's an incredible improvement in how much better my lighting is.

I got my lenses at Precision Volvo, btw.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Question about light bulbs in headlights. (javadoc)

quote:

FWIW, I'd suggest installing E-code lenses in your Volvo. I went w/the E-code lenses and Phillips BlueVisions, and man, it's an incredible improvement in how much better my lighting is.

I got my lenses at Precision Volvo, btw.
How much are the E-code lenses? what is the difference? I have heard of them, but I never bothered to ask what they are? http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif

·
Registered
625 Posts

They are the european specs headlight lense...

they tend to distribute light a lot more effciently than DOT lense (US and canada) and have a sharp horizontal cut off to reduce glare.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts

I haven't really considered the e-code lenses here because of all the deer that jump out here. The headlights here should phase them in the ditch at close range (hopefully!), that could be bogus though. (maybe I should buy those deer wistles for prevention)

Yeah Kaizai, my ebay wonders are still good! I like them although highway, non-city dark highway driving is once in a while but I still think they are good. I've heard horror stories on this type of purchase but I am a happy customer. Not burned out after a few months and I regularly go through headlight bulbs every 3-4 years or so. My last pair were some kind of cool blues, they sucked. looked stock but probably didn't have the far lighting range. I threw them away. These are not an HID replacement! but the 3800K temp colour is good for me, it actually looks different which is what I wanted. I'd recommend them to you but honestly I don't know what make they are! Some Korean for "off-road" or "show car" use only brand that doesn't say anything more than Euro White Xenon on the packages. Kinda lame, very cheap. I'm stoked there still working so well!! Hahaha.
But... I will likely look to Piaa or Phillips for my next bulbs as they likely offer overall improved performance from what I have.
Oh, no police confrontation yet, they have wiper nozzle LEDs and blue turn signals to worry about here now!! http://********************/smile/emwink.gif (all hondas, where do they get those toys?!)

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

quote:

They are the european specs headlight lense...

they tend to distribute light a lot more effciently than DOT lense (US and canada) and have a sharp horizontal cut off to reduce glare.
How much do the run?
I think I will probably get clear corner lenses and side markers before I replace the headlight lenses.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Re: Question about light bulbs in headlights. (steve s)

Im telling you, I have been playing around with Piaas for years, I like the look the best, but they would burn out in just a few months. When I would ask others who use them, I got the same response, they would burn out within just a few months. If any of you have them and they have lasted a year, I will be suprised and say you are lucky, that doesnt seem to be piaas track record with the bulbs.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Question about light bulbs in headlights. (pj's 850)

quote:

Im telling you, I have been playing around with Piaas for years, I like the look the best, but they would burn out in just a few months. When I would ask others who use them, I got the same response, they would burn out within just a few months. If any of you have them and they have lasted a year, I will be suprised and say you are lucky, that doesnt seem to be piaas track record with the bulbs.
I hope I get lucky, I will just have to wait and see at this poiunt. My friend has had his for at least 6 months and no burn outs yet, I will let you know if/when his or mine do burn out.

·
Registered
56 Posts

PIAA Bulbs have a 1 year replacement warranty. Bulbs should not burn out that fast if you have the right bulb type installed. A bulb will burn out in only a few months if you touch the bulb while installing it. The chemicals on your skin will dramatically reduce the life of the bulb.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Re: Question about light bulbs in headlights. (doublej95)

I know there replacement warranty, most of them were replaced under warranty. I used the right bulbs, 9005/9006-I have been useing these disposable white cotton gloves designed for doing basicly just that, replacing bulbs. There were designed for lab use were you cant get finger oils on stuff along with not being able to use latex gloves. They are often given away with replacement halogen bulbs in comercial situations also. So basicly there is no fingerprint issues, I also clean the bulbs with denatured alcohol, just as recomended. No chance of them burning up from touching them. Im telling you, this isnt me or something to do with my special situation. I have talked to many many people who had the same problem. Truth is I am yet to meet anyone who has had the bulbs last a really long time, not as long as say the OEM or Phillips ones Im using now. I believe I had a set of Low beam bulbs, maybe the first set, last about a year. After that however I started to have problems, also the packaging had been changed along with the look of the bulb, so I think they changed suppliers or something. Since then I have not had a set of Piaas last more than a few months, I guess 6 months may be more accurate. Piaa will change them only twice before they stop under the warranty, which is understandable, accept when I have such problems. I have a friend with a civic he races-amazingly it is really fast, he has used piaas for a while, has the same problem I have, however he just lives with it and drops another 70 dollars a set every year or two when Piaa wont change them anymore. Piaa told me the problem was that the bulbs dont work well with the Daytime running lights, which I have and assume all of you do also, and that running the lights everytime the car is driven is what is causing them to burn out early. I tried to find information one the volvo Daytime running light setup, like if the bulbs are run at half power, or if some special bulb is suppsed to be used, but I was unable to find any good information. However when I changed to the Phillips, after trying every brand I could get my hands on, I have had no problems. I dont like the look as much, I dont think they are quite as bright as the Piaas, but they arent burning out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts