SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question about installing nav, bluetooth and iPod adapters in an S60

Hello to all!<p>I know this may sound like an ambitious plan but I'd like to include custom nav, Bluetooth and iPod functionality in my 2002 S60 AWD!<p>First, the car has the HU-613 head unit. As to navigation, Necvox of Taiwan is selling an integrated motorized 6.5" touchscreen with a GPS nav unit and software that would fit where the OEM screen would go (I'd just have to get the appropriate grill/bracket/center speaker from Volvo). As for iPod, I know I can get an IMIV. As for Bluetooth, I was told in a separate post I can use the Volvo/Motorola kit and a Volvo wiring harness (I'm unclear as to the specific kit and harness if anyone can help). My end result would be to have the nav unit "speak" through the radio (Necvox includes a speaker too but I'd prefer not to have to use it), have the iPod (actually, an iPhone) work through the system and display properly on the radio display (I understand there's an IMIV issue with iPhone video and that's not a dealbreaker for me) and to have seamless Bluetooth integration where I hit a button to answer a call and it works thru the radio/speakers.<p>That's as much as I can tell everyone. Any idea if my plan is feasible or is it pie in the sky? Let me know if more information is needed to make a determination.<p>Thanks,<br>Steve

·
Registered
210 Posts
Re: Question about installing nav, bluetooth and iPod adapters in an S60 (landsmarra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>landsmarra</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hello to all!<p>I know this may sound like an ambitious plan but I'd like to include custom nav, Bluetooth and iPod functionality in my 2002 S60 AWD!<p>First, the car has the HU-613 head unit. As to navigation, Necvox of Taiwan is selling an integrated motorized 6.5" touchscreen with a GPS nav unit and software that would fit where the OEM screen would go (I'd just have to get the appropriate grill/bracket/center speaker from Volvo). As for iPod, I know I can get an IMIV. As for Bluetooth, I was told in a separate post I can use the Volvo/Motorola kit and a Volvo wiring harness (I'm unclear as to the specific kit and harness if anyone can help). My end result would be to have the nav unit "speak" through the radio (Necvox includes a speaker too but I'd prefer not to have to use it), have the iPod (actually, an iPhone) work through the system and display properly on the radio display (I understand there's an IMIV issue with iPhone video and that's not a dealbreaker for me) and to have seamless Bluetooth integration where I hit a button to answer a call and it works thru the radio/speakers.<p>That's as much as I can tell everyone. Any idea if my plan is feasible or is it pie in the sky? Let me know if more information is needed to make a determination.<p>Thanks,<br>Steve</TD></TR></TABLE><p>This is the bluetooth I use: <A HREF="http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/motorola_blnc_ihf1000_bluetooth_car_kit.html" TARGET="_blank">http://www.mobilewhack.com/rev....html</A>.<p>It works great with my razor and my wifes sliver. Does voice commands and alerts me when I have a message etc. I also have a garmin Nuvi 200 GPS (I don't use the POS NAV that came with my car). If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy the better model garmin that has bluetooth connectivity to my phone instead of the two units. That way I can use the keypad on the NAV rather than voice commanding numbers from memory or fishing my phone out of my pocket to dial. The motorolla DOES work through the speakers like you wanted, whereas the Garmin I don't think would however.<p>I'm assuming that the screen you're talking about hooks up to the 603 the same way the OEM does. If so the Iphone video WILL work with the iMIV, but not the traditional way. 1: The way I did it is to buy a $50 video cable from apple and hook it into the aux imput in the iMIV. This way is annoying as I have 2 cables that I have to toggle between though. 2: Sensolutions website has announced they're in the process of making a iphone/touch compatable iMIV cable, so just wait a few. I'm going to pick one up so I can get rid of the second cable as soon as they are released. <p>As far as integrating the aftermarked NAV into the speakers: You could hook it up to the AUX input of the iMIV, but you won't be able to simultaniously listen to music the way you can with the OEM. Honestly though, if it has a built in speaker, I'd just listen to it that way. It's not like the voice is THAT sexy. Remember I use an aftermarked Garmin instead and just listen to it though it's integrated speaker and have no problems.<p>EDIT: Unless you're just hell-bent on having the novelty of a motorized screen, it would be easier to just replace the 603 with an alpine/eclipse/pioneer HU that supports DVD/GPS/bluetooth/ipod/etc. <BR><BR>
<i>Modified by flanimal at 8:17 AM 5-14-2009</i>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts