SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So despite over 4 months of driving, I had never tried Eco mode until this week, at least not for more than moment. On a whim, I decided to try it for several days this week just to observe if I could notice any chances in behavior or discernible improvement in mileage.

Before I get to my overall observations (which are very brief), I have a question for anyone else who has tried it or knows about it. Namely, why does Eco Mode defeat the engine shut-off while stopped feature if that features main benefit is supposedly improved gas mileage? It seems counterintuitive yet that's exactly what happened with me, consistently. It was immediately noticeable since the engine stopping feature in the default Comfort mode has a pretty quick trigger. Yet in 3 days of all street driving with frequent stops in excess of several minutes it didn't shut down the engine once. Anyone know what the logic for this is?

In terms of overall observations, not much. My mileage average did not improve at all during three days of driving in eco. And the behavior of the car was indiscernible from Comfort mode except I did notice less acceleration from a full stop if you tried to do so rapidly. And the dash display replaces the tachometer with a display that shows you graphically whether you are more or less energy efficient at any moment and specifically says "coasting" when you are.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I think start-stop is still enabled.

The main difference in Eco besides the things you mention is the trans physically disconnects from the engine allowing true coasting which is not available in any other mode.

If it's very hot out you'll also notice the ac is reduced pretty dramatically.

All this to say I agree it's not that useful and I don't use it much. I did enjoy a really long stretch of rolling hills where Eco did return the best mileage I've seen but not by much.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
In a T5 XC60, the change is noticeable almost immediately as I can actually feel the car struggle as it up-shifts like crazy to get to gear 8 before it hits the 5 m.p.h mark. Start-Stop still works, and is even more aggressive, shutting down around 5 m.p.h.

As far as mileage goes, it does make a difference by about 4 or 5 mpg, the change can also be seen immediately via the trip computer for the same drive between normal and eco mode. Fuel fillups also confirm improved gas mileage. I've logged every mile of my car in excel, performing experiments with many tanks of fuel in different modes, styles, and conditions.

Don't know how eco feels in a T6 though. TonyJag mentioned he puts his XC60 in eco mode to tame his wild and crazy T6.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree with all of your observations but when I use ECO mode the engine shut off still happens whenever I stop. Similar to Gc52 I also notice a big difference in AC performance and it displays an ECO mode. I'm driving a FE that I got in June.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the engine is still supposed to shut off, then add it to the list of glitches in my car at least. In three days with many stops, some several minutes long, it never once shut off. As soon as I switched back to Comfort it shut off at the next stop after only a few seconds.

My AC was not affected at all, but the weather is moderate. Still, it was blowing pretty noticeable at one point because I had just started the car and I switched to eco and it blew just as hard. My general drive didn't feel more sluggish at all, only an attempt (specifically as an experiment) to do rapid acceleration from a stop felt noticeably restrained. If it were not for the chance to the dash display, I doubt anyone would have noticed I was in a different drive mode. And, as I said, after 3 days my average MPG was unchanged from the week before.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
The only thing I like about Eco mode is Eco coast and would like to have that while in comfort or even dynamic mode. Hence where user profiles would come in. Hoping the November update gives us much of what was said the vehicle would have at the beginning, hoping and waiting for more info.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
If the engine is still supposed to shut off, then add it to the list of glitches in my car at least. In three days with many stops, some several minutes long, it never once shut off. As soon as I switched back to Comfort it shut off at the next stop after only a few seconds.
And, as I said, after 3 days my average MPG was unchanged from the week before.
If you got the same mpg after 3 days, but with the engine not shutting off, then in theory, if you can resolve why your engine is not shutting off, then maybe you would have see an improvement?

·
Registered
342 Posts
This may or may not be true, but when I took one for a test drive two weeks ago, the salesman told me that the Eco mode is meant for highway driving.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
If you got the same mpg after 3 days, but with the engine not shutting off, then in theory, if you can resolve why your engine is not shutting off, then maybe you would have see an improvement?
Other than high temps, start/stop will engage all appropriate times if enabled. high temps keeps the engine running if AC is on. When I go into eco mode on XC60, AC will disable and I have to re-enable it, and it goes to an "eco" level of coldness.

I think citivas has an overall problem that eco mode doesn't take effect, and in fact moves efficiency in the wrong direction by additionally disabling start stop.

Start stop really doesn't save fuel, at least you wont see an improvement if you're in stop-sign stop-n-go traffic. The transmission shift change and probably throttle control changes provide the bulk of fuel savings, start-stop is just high frequency noise on sloping line.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Other than high temps, start/stop will engage all appropriate times if enabled. high temps keeps the engine running if AC is on. When I go into eco mode on XC60, AC will disable and I have to re-enable it, and it goes to an "eco" level of coldness.

I think citivas has an overall problem that eco mode doesn't take effect, and in fact moves efficiency in the wrong direction by additionally disabling start stop.

Start stop really doesn't save fuel, at least you wont see an improvement if you're in stop-sign stop-n-go traffic. The transmission shift change and probably throttle control changes provide the bulk of fuel savings, start-stop is just high frequency noise on sloping line.
Stop/start saves fuel when you've got to stop for some time, say 10 seconds or longer.
The current problem with stop/start is that the car cannot predict how long you will need to stop and wait.
Driver's intention has to be conveyed to the computer in an easy way so computer can do engine stop/start in an optimal way and not annoying.

I want to repeat my suggestion: if driver stops the car, and pumps the brake (release and press immediately), then engine should not be stopped.
If driver stops the car and press the brake all the way, after 2 or 3 seconds the engine can be stopped and restarted later.

Driver knows the traffic light condition and could do so intuitively and unnecessary engine restart is avoided.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Stop/start saves fuel when you've got to stop for some time, say 10 seconds or longer.
The current problem with stop/start is that the car cannot predict how long you will need to stop and wait.
Driver's intention has to be conveyed to the computer in an easy way so computer can do engine stop/start in an optimal way and not annoying.

I want to repeat my suggestion: if driver stops the car, and pumps the brake (release and press immediately), then engine should not be stopped.
If driver stops the car and press the brake all the way, after 2 or 3 seconds the engine can be stopped and restarted later.

Driver knows the traffic light condition and could do so intuitively and unnecessary engine restart is avoided.
That's a patentable idea, too bad you disclosed it here :(

Citivas : i agree this is a glitch but it might be unique to your vehicle.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
If you want to not stop the engine but keep stop/start active like in the scenarios above, you can drop the trans into manual. Once you come to a complete stop you can drop it right back into auto and the engine won't stop. So this does the same thing without pumping the brakes.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
If you want to not stop the engine but keep stop/start active like in the scenarios above, you can drop the trans into manual. Once you come to a complete stop you can drop it right back into auto and the engine won't stop. So this does the same thing without pumping the brakes.
This is not as convenient or intuitive as pumping the brake.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
It's pretty convenient especially since it's available now! For real though once you get used to it it is basically intuitive. Neither is truly intuitive anyway. The brake is a good idea though but I wonder how it would play out in real world use.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
It's pretty convenient especially since it's available now! For real though once you get used to it it is basically intuitive. Neither is truly intuitive anyway. The brake is a good idea though but I wonder how it would play out in real world use.
Agree it is useful as a trick for now. So if stop and go in a queue before a stop sign, it is better just use manual shift, and stay at gear 1 to avoid engine stop/start.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Isn't there a button that turns it off.:facepalm:
Just saying.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
We're talking about when you want start/stop to momentarily not engage but to be active for the drive in general. Obviously there is a button to turn it off for good. Are you making fun of the fact that it's in a menu on the screen or do you really think there's no way to turn it off? If the former, I am very happy there is no physical button it would be an ugly waste.

·
Registered
114 Posts
We're talking about when you want start/stop to momentarily not engage but to be active for the drive in general. Obviously there is a button to turn it off for good. Are you making fun of the fact that it's in a menu on the screen or do you really think there's no way to turn it off? If the former, I am very happy there is no physical button it would be an ugly waste.
Does the menu option to turn off engine stop-start default back to on each time you restart the car with the engine start button, or does it defeat it permanently until you manually turn it back on via the menu option?

·
Registered
366 Posts
The ((A)) button does reset each time you start the engine. It is for use when you know you make brief stops that there's no need to stop the engine. For example, when I drive through a neighborhood with lots of stop signs where I know I will most likely stop briefly, I turn stop/start "off." If I am in a city with long traffic lights--it's on. Very practical.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Or drive the car in Dynamic mode, which is more fun anyway.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts