SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my brother helping me out, we changed my front brake pads today (rears were still good) and flushed my brake lines using the old-fashioned brake pumping technique. We then got up the courage to go for the clutch line and flush it as well - I know it probably should have been done first, but too late for that. It did not take long for the clean fluid to flush through and replace the old stuff, especially considering we were not getting very much fluid out with each clutch pedal pump.
Our question is this: when flushing the clutch, is the goal essentially just to flush the line leading to the flushing nipple (hence not needing much volume), or is there a way to flush more which would be flushing fluid out of the clutch housing itself? In other words, is it OK that we stopped when we saw the new fluid coming through or should we have flushed thorugh a much larger volume? We have to do his car next, so we need to figure out whether he will need more fluid than I used.

(Oh, and after we finished with the clutch, we went back and did a quick flush of a couple of the brake lines again to make sure we didn't introduce any air in case the clutch should have been done first - all looked good. Does the order matter much?)

Thanks in advance.
Albert

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Re: Question about bleeding the clutch fluid while doing brake fluid flush - please help (adalcanto)

As far as how much volume is concerned I am not too sure although. Order does matter, to ensure all air is evacuated... See link below... Other than that I think you handled it fine.

http://www.quickbrickmotorspor....html

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Question about bleeding the clutch fluid while doing brake fluid flush - please help (kmg_S60R)

Thanks for the link. The article you referenced has the brake bleeding order as farthest to closest, but several posts on Swedespeed from trustworthy members have stated that according to VADIS, the brake bleeding order should be the opposite, so LF, RF, LR, RR.

Example quote from JAGMAN:
Quote, originally posted by JAGMAN »
Volvo's Procedure calls for bleeding closest to farthest. So, start with the Clutch if its a 6MT, to get at the bleed nipple, remove the airbox and you'll see it on the front side of the tranny. Its plastic, so careful not to break it when retightening. Next do the Left Front, first do the inner bleed nipple, then the outer. Repeat for all other tires in this order: RF,LR,RR. Inner bleeder first, then outer. ...

So I know I got the order of the calipers correct, I just don't know how big of a deal it was that I did the clutch last. That is why I went back and did a mini-rebleed of several of the calipers just to make sure there was no air (which there wasn't).

My bigger question/concern was whether the small volume of fluid that I flushed through the clutch line was adequate. Many people don't seem to do it all, but I'm hoping someone can answer...

Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.