SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I rebuilt my 142 E 6 + years ago I had used Dayco FI hose on the fuel injection system and I found that it deteriorated (cracked) very quickly. I also had a go with some Gates fuel line (I don't think it was the Barricade hose) which also was not particularly long lived. On the recommendation of another party, I tried Parker Push-on abrasion king hose and it lasted longer; but, I noticed yesterday that the supply hose to the fuel rail and return from the regulator is started to check quite a bit and the surface is getting hard. That is rather disappointing. The particular Parker hose no longer appears to be listed as a product so I am unable to confirm its temperature ratings.

I do have a chunk of Good Year Insta Grip 2G-1C-14C/33 between the rail and the regulator inlet and the exterior of that hose does appear to be in good condition, or at least much better than the Parker hose. However, I did a little checking and Good Year appears to have exited this product line with the Insta Grip being taken over by Continental. A little checking on the Continental application guides indicates that the insta grip appears to be unrated for fuel line - even though it seems to have been more durable than any of the dedicated fuel hoses that I have tried so far. Continental does sell some specific fuel line rated hoses that meet the SAE 30R9 standard which is rated to 135 C. However, there have been some interesting comments about the outside jacket of the hose getting gooey when exposed to gasoline - go figure.

Does anybody have some suggestions for fuel line? Something that is rated for use on fuel injection systems and has been in use for more than a couple of years without showing obvious deterioration? I have a Honda and an Acura product and the Acura has fuel lines that are now 20 years old and showing no obvious signs of deterioration. Why do the OEMs seem to be able to source good hose and all the aftermarket stuff appears to be dodgy?

·
Registered
473 Posts
142G;

There has been some discussion on this issue on the Volvoniacs (German) Forum, and they always mention certain preferred spec nos to use opposed to typical parts store off-the-roll line which is pretty poor in longevity...I'll see if I can get some of those spec number and post them for you...

Cheers

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Use vibrant performance ptfe flexible rubber hose. Its stainless lined and nylon jacketed fuel line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Use vibrant performance ptfe flexible rubber hose. Its stainless lined and nylon jacketed fuel line.

Those are suitable only for use with AN fittings. A 142 E with D jet has 5/16" (or more likely 8 mm) barbed fittings so the AN hoses are a no-go.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Those are suitable only for use with AN fittings. A 142 E with D jet has 5/16" (or more likely 8 mm) barbed fittings so the AN hoses are a no-go.
Gotcha.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I just happened to have a 10ft role red on black Id let go for a deal. Its probably way too big for any body -10 but was still too small for our current build.

Oh well. Was worth a shot. Might just keep it as Ill more than likely find a use for it somewhere. Fuel jugs or some crap.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting that on the Choline website, their J30R9 line is described at 10psi working pressure , 20psi test pressure, and 50psi burst pressure. This could lead to the conclusion that J30R9 is not suitable for a 30psi FI system.

https://www.cohpro.com/cohline-fuel-hose
Those numbers are Bar, not psi. A Bar is short for 100 kPa and is approximately 1 atmosphere (14.5 psi) so 10 bar working pressure is 145 psi working pressure. As a result the Cohline 2240 would seem to exceed the pressure rating portion of the J30R9 standard. When you read the posted information on the web site, 2240 appears to be their recommendation for retrofit. However, nobody on this side of the Atlantic appears to sell the 2240 which is going to make for premium priced hose by the time it arrives on my doorstep. If I was guaranteed that it would last I might be able to swallow that; but, compliance with the SAE standards does not seem to be a guarantee of long term durability.

The original fuel hose on my B20E was in operation for approximately 1/4 of a century with no outwardly obvious signs of deterioration. It likely predated the SAE J30 standards. I need a fresh reel of fuel hose that was designed 50 years ago!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Those numbers are Bar, not psi. A Bar is short for 100 kPa and is approximately 1 atmosphere (14.5 psi) so 10 bar working pressure is 145 psi working pressure. As a result the Cohline 2240 would seem to exceed the pressure rating portion of the J30R9 standard. When you read the posted information on the web site, 2240 appears to be their recommendation for retrofit. However, nobody on this side of the Atlantic appears to sell the 2240 which is going to make for premium priced hose by the time it arrives on my doorstep. If I was guaranteed that it would last I might be able to swallow that; but, compliance with the SAE standards does not seem to be a guarantee of long term durability.

The original fuel hose on my B20E was in operation for approximately 1/4 of a century with no outwardly obvious signs of deterioration. It likely predated the SAE J30 standards. I need a fresh reel of fuel hose that was designed 50 years ago!
Haha, yes. Too much killing time at the cottage. I saw the 50 number and assumed psi, which I’d seen elsewhere for J30. Choline looks good for lots of pressure. When I retrofitted injectors on my 1800, they still had the crimped connector. Looked ok, can only assume it’s was original, but changed the hose anyways. Appreciate your explanation of Standards associations. I have the barricade on now, but less than a year, will report back on what it looks like In the future.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the barricade on now, but less than a year, will report back on what it looks like In the future.
Which Barricade did you use? Barricade seems to be Gate's description for low permeation fuel line and is tacked on to a bunch of their products including fuel line for use on low pressure / carb applications. Gate's has a baffling product number and part number system and I can't figure out whether the part # or product # refers to the hose itself or the way it is packaged. I found two part #s 27335 and 27348 with different product # that are both listed as Barricade MPI. There is also 4219BF 225 Barricade Greenshield (which they tout for older fuel injection retrofit). Some vendors list part # 27340 and 27345 as Barricade MPI; but, I could not find them on the Gates website.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rock Auto sells the 27335 at a reasonable so I may have to give that a try.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts